Possible win 11 upgrade with question

ea6b123

Weaksauce
Running a amd 5800x, 16 gigs of ram, rtx 2070 win 10 Pro at the moment, Gigabtye x570 latest Bios Installed.

I was told this is what i need to do IF i do upgrade to 11 first,it seems i had no idea this was even supposed to be done .
Disable CSM First, Install win 11 then enable Secure boot after Install ,then make sure ftpm is on which it is allready.

Does this make sense and sound right to you?

Running a amd 5800x, 16 gigs of ram, rtx 2070 win 10 Pro at the moment, Gigabtye x570 latest Bios Installed.

I was told this is what i need to do IF i do upgrade to 11 first,it seems i had no idea this was even supposed to be done .
Disable CSM First, Install win 11 then enable Secure boot after Install ,then make sure ftpm is on which it is allready.

Does this make sense and sound right to you?
turn csm off and secure boot on. have you run the check tool yet? it will let you know if you need to convert from mbr to gpt.

when i turn OFF csm and not able to turn secure boot on , it loads back into the bios not windows.
Yes i ran the tool.

when i turn OFF csm and not able to turn secure boot on , it loads back into the bios not windows.
Yes i ran the tool.
you have to make sure that all legacy stuff is turned off, csm should be off, you should be able to turn sb on.

Wow ok, what should be turned OFF in the Bios first.......What order should 11 be installed, what needs to be turned ON after I install 11....... Is there a book or a website it seems ive got mbr settings didnt know what gpt was into i googled it feeling kinda dumb right now not knowing this stuff. How do other people know or learn about all this stuff im ok with pc's but i had no idea at all.

It tells me this pc must support secure Boot.

here is my Motherboard https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10#kf

Here's the issue. I believe you had your bios set to use Legacy BIOS as opposed to UEFI. Legacy BIOS is enabled via CSM. When you disable CSM, you can only boot from UEFI partitions. Since you don't have any UEFI partitions (nothing to boot into), it goes back into your BIOS instead. You either need to do a fresh install with CSM Disabled, Secure Boot enabled, etc, or convert your existing install to UEFI. I believe it's possible but I've not done it personally.

Or you could just say screw it and simply bypass the Windows 11 install requirements and continue to use your system with CSM enabled, Legacy BIOS enabled, Secure Boot disabled, etc. Everything will still work fine, and then at some point down the road when you do a fresh install anyway, switch all the settings over at that point.

Wow ok, what should be turned OFF in the Bios first.......What order should 11 be installed, what needs to be turned ON after I install 11....... Is there a book or a website it seems ive got mbr settings didnt know what gpt was into i googled it feeling kinda dumb right now not knowing this stuff. How do other people know or learn about all this stuff im ok with pc's but i had no idea at all.
you can convert from mbr to gpt really easy via command prompt, its one command. then you can turn off the legacy/csm stuff and secureboot should enable. once 10 is booting like that you can upgrade. people learn by searching/reading/doing.

Here's the issue. I believe you had your bios set to use Legacy BIOS as opposed to UEFI. Legacy BIOS is enabled via CSM. When you disable CSM, you can only boot from UEFI partitions. Since you don't have any UEFI partitions (nothing to boot into), it goes back into your BIOS instead. You either need to do a fresh install with CSM Disabled, Secure Boot enabled, etc, or convert your existing install to UEFI. I believe it's possible but I've not done it personally.

Or you could just say screw it and simply bypass the Windows 11 install requirements and continue to use your system with CSM enabled, Legacy BIOS enabled, Secure Boot disabled, etc. Everything will still work fine, and then at some point down the road when you do a fresh install anyway, switch all the settings over at that point.
so first do csm disabled, then install windows,then go back in and enable secure boot?

Oh yes and also what about the gpt i think it is switch to that also when Installing the OS? format to guid?

ok, are you installing fresh or upgrading from 10? you questions are starting to confuse me...

Im sorry so for now i need to get win 10 and the correct bios settings in place so when the next BIG 11 update next yr comes out i will be ready then.

so first do csm disabled, then install windows,then go back in and enable secure boot?

If you are doing a fresh install, then set all settings first (CSM disabled, Secure Boot enabled, etc). If you already have 10 installed, and want to upgrade, then you can't just disable CSM without converting your partition to be UEFI compatible first or your existing OS install will no longer boot.

ok then google how to convert mbr to gpt and then switch your bios to uefi, make sure csm is off and turn on secureboot. edit: yeah that^^

The CMS thing is what you have to do to enable SAM on the Radeon 5000 series video cards .

My home network includes a 2019 laptop, good to go, a 2020 desktop that needs a chipset upgrade or a real TPM chip, and a 2017 laptop that MS will not upgrade. So I have to ask myself, is this Win 11 upgrade really worth it to me, considering all the effort to get that older laptop upgraded. From what I hear, Win 11 doesn't have any really big improvements. I know that I can use a workaround to install Win 11 on the older laptop, but it can't upgrade itself.

To me, it's important that all my systems run the same OS. So my "upgrade" strategy is to eventually replace the 2017 laptop in say 2022, and then upgrade the other two systems. Make sense?

My home network includes a 2019 laptop, good to go, a 2020 desktop that needs a chipset upgrade or a real TPM chip, and a 2017 laptop that MS will not upgrade. So I have to ask myself, is this Win 11 upgrade really worth it to me, considering all the effort to get that older laptop upgraded. From what I hear, Win 11 doesn't have any really big improvements. I know that I can use a workaround to install Win 11 on the older laptop, but it can't upgrade itself.

To me, it's important that all my systems run the same OS. So my "upgrade" strategy is to eventually replace the 2017 laptop in say 2022, and then upgrade the other two systems. Make sense?
Why do they all need to be on the same OS?

Why do they all need to be on the same OS?
For me, it comes down to the following reasons, since I am the "IT admin" in my house and I want to minimize the admin work. My environment includes 3 active Windows 10 systems, 2 each iPhones and iPads, two TVs and 1 Roku stick, the cable modem and router setups, etc. Plus some older Win 10 systems that aren't "daily drivers" that "someday" might get upgraded.

• Consistent administrative settings, especially for configuration, and privacy. (Also for iOS)​
  • Consistent UI across all systems. (Also for iOS)​
  • Belong to just one Windows forum. ;) Either www.tenforums.com or www.elevynforums.com, not both.​

Back