Pop_OS! 20.04 releasing soon. Loving the beta so far.

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
18.04 didn't play well with me so I have been using 19.10 for a while. I wanted to get on an LTS version so I jumped in the beta for 20.04 since Ubunbtu 20.04 is being released today. So far I love it, its been every bit as solid as 19.10 for me. Good stuff, I highly recommend it. Especially if you are trying out Linux for gaming.

A77F7Lr.png

This is what I like about the new Pop OS:

Previously on Pop!_OS: Laptops with Intel and NVIDIA graphics have the power to Jekyll and Hyde between integrated graphics and the dGPU.

Now on Pop!_OS: In addition to switching between Intel and NVIDIA graphics, you can choose Hybrid Graphics from the system menu. In Hybrid Graphics mode, your laptop runs on the battery-saving Intel GPU and only uses the NVIDIA GPU for applications you designate. To do this, simply right-click on the app icon and select “Launch using Dedicated Graphics Card”.

Using it for VFIO/Looking-Glass, has greatly exceeded my expectations so far.

I refuse to support Gnome. KDE Neon based on 18.04LTS is as close to a rolling release as you'll get regarding a LTS, currently running kernel 5.4 and always receive Mesa updates (even though I run Nvidia). Fractional scaling works fantastic under Xorg using my 4k monitor, I'm happy.

Otherwise, PopOS 20.04 looks like a fairly solid release.

Last edited:
I resisted 20.04 at first, but eventually jumped to it. Very pleased so far. It’s been serving for Plex duty. I’d give a spin for gaming, but the hardware is a bit dated.

I may get another Linux gaming box going again someday.

I resisted 20.04 at first, but eventually jumped to it. Very pleased so far. It’s been serving for Plex duty. I’d give a spin for gaming, but the hardware is a bit dated.

I may get another Linux gaming box going again someday.

My Kodi/TVheadend server's still running 16.04LTS. It's still supported, but I really need to take the plunge and update.

It's just been so reliable, I can't bring myself to shut it off.

My Kodi/TVheadend server's still running 16.04LTS. It's still supported, but I really need to take the plunge and update.

I'm caught in that too. It's reliable and works great, but there is something new. Hard to resist

Now you probably kick yourself for not virtualizing it, would be a matter of snapshotting the image and you could revert back in seconds :)

Back