Poll - Computer Monitor: Antiglare vs Reflective?

Computer Monitor: Antiglare vs Reflective?

• Antiglare

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Reflective

Votes: 24 55.8%

• Total voters
I used to be more pro glossy back when AR films were largely, just abysmally bad. Like what they used to put on high end IPS and TN gaming monitors. Gritty matte that looked horrid. Now today, AR films are much much better so I prefer that over glossy.

Antiglare without a doubt. In adverse conditions, like if you have a window nearby, then glossy screens are completely unusable. If you have enough control over the lighting then they are at least usable, but even in ideal conditions the reflection is distracting.

After using a 48" glossy display for 1.5 years, I vote for glossy. I can manage the reflections with placement.

I used to be more pro glossy back when AR films were largely, just abysmally bad. Like what they used to put on high end IPS and TN gaming monitors. Gritty matte that looked horrid. Now today, AR films are much much better so I prefer that over glossy.
Same.

Glossy everyday. Even with modern AG coatings, a glossy all glass screen looks better than any matte one. My pc is in a dark room so reflections is a none issue. Too bad they no longer make glossy monitors.

How bad would anti glare look on an OLED? The ASUS PG42UQ supposedly will be using one, and the glossy screen of OLED TVs already looks fantastic.

Depends completely on how you manage your lighting. I love the glossy CX in my man cave, but the reflections would look awful in a sunny room.

Voted for Glossy:

Glossy = Looks best in optimal situations, bad in suboptimal conditions (window behind screen)
Matte = Looks bad in all situations (and there's nothing you can do about it)

How bad would anti glare look on an OLED? The ASUS PG42UQ supposedly will be using one, and the glossy screen of OLED TVs already looks fantastic.

LG adds a purple-tinted coating which minimizes the reflected light.

For something like a TV, I think Glossy with purple coating is the best compromise, but for any freestanding monitor / portable laptop LCD screen, you'd have to be dense to bother with Glossy; for-one , no color professional on earth would want to deal with purple tint on pro displays (so you probably have massive reflections on standard-finish glossy monitors!?

But OLED panels have always been glossy, so you'd better be prepared to deal with that coating.

Last edited:
LG adds a purple-tinted coating which minimizes the reflected light.

For something like a TV, I think Glossy with purple coating is the best compromise, but for any freestanding monitor / portable laptop LCD screen, you'd have to be dense to bother with Glossy; for-one , no color professional on earth would want to deal with purple tint on pro displays (so you probably have massive reflections on standard-finish glossy monitors!?

But OLED panels have always been glossy, so you'd better be prepared to deal with that coating.
The Asus 42 inch OLED 100% has an AG coating, so does the Samsung and Alienware 34 inch QD-OLED.

Depends on the actual coating, but in my experience a reflective surface gives the better picture.

Looks like a coin toss...
Screenshot_20220110-161034.jpg

Given how evenly split the vote is, it would be nice if all monitors came with a choice of finishes. That seems unlikely in this market though, where you're lucky if you get a choice between black or black with RGB.

Back