Poll: Alder Lake owners: were you able to get a cooling solution for LGA 1700?

Alder Lake owners: were you able to get an LGA 1700 cooling solution?

• Total voters
Should be fine if you aren't running constant, 100%, all core loads.
Well I could double up the fans (push and pull).

Problem is I got a mycherrytree borg cube atx case as a gift, it only supports 3 fans (facepalm), I've been debating using a hole saw to cut a few in the base and mount some pulls. there is lots of gaps in the plastic decorative shroud I could pull through as well, but the exhaust only supports 240mm rad. so either I jury rig a solution on the back, or return the thing.

I do have a 360mm rad already for the build too... I could just put it all in my Phantek Evolve case, that things been a dream case for a while and would show off the components.

*pics for funs:

75740155-AF14-49EA-AA83-490E95F16521.jpeg
7706B228-3C21-43CC-9E98-910641186939.jpeg

Last edited:

Problem is I got a mycherrytree borg cube atx case as a gift, it only supports 3 fans (facepalm), I've been debating using a hole saw to cut a few in the base and mount some pulls. there is lots of gaps in the plastic decorative shroud I could pull through as well, but the exhaust only supports 240mm rad. so either I jury rig a solution on the back, or return the thing.

I do have a 360mm rad already for the build too... I could just put it all in my Phantek Evolve case, that things been a dream case for a while and would show off the components.

*pics for funs:

View attachment 425196View attachment 425197
you could also put a hard cap on the power limit (in the bios) so that the CPU never runs away from the 240mm RAD's capabilities. Its usually somewhere after about 170watts, that the heat starts getting to be too much for a 240 Rad in Cinibench R23.

I have the same cpu and cooler and I’m hitting 100c and throttling on cinebench. Perhaps it’s defective. I idle at 30c. I'm going to exchange it for a new one and see.
You get the replacement yet?

*pics for funs:

View attachment 425196View attachment 425197

I think I saw this on Reddit.

I have been using an EKWB Velocity D-RGB/Plexi water block with an LGA 1700 back plate. I've not been all that thrilled with the temps and bought a proper EKWB Velocity Squared waterblock that was actually designed for LGA 1700 CPU's.

Updates:

I'm now using EK's thick, metal backplate, with my Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT.

The cooling is very good. My 12700k with power limits removed, the hottest core is only 79c during Cinibench R23 multicore test.

Unfortunately, the pump for this cooler whines like an old platter HDD. I'm going to try an RMA.

Gigabyte put out a few bios updates. Zero issues in Windows 12, so far.

I've appreciated all your updates here: this looks like the best DDR4 mini-ITX motherboard for Alder Lake. Still waiting a re-stock here in the US.

Interestingly, EK just this week told me their AIO pump block did fit on the Gigabyte Z690I Aorus Ultra board. Maybe it's RAM-dependent? I have some G.SKILL Trident Z Neo. Or perhaps EK doesn't mind it butting against the RAM. I'm all right with a bit of pressure, but if it's pulling the DIMM out of the socket... if / when this motherboard ever restocks, I'll send some pictures here.
EKWB: For the mentioned motherboard Gigabyte Z690I Aorus Ultra, we checked and according to the socket layout and space on the right side between the socket and RAM slots to be sufficient, the AIO should fit on this well as seen here:

Just returned a Liquid Freezer II that definitely does not fit on the Z690I Aorus Ultra, confirmed by both Arctic and users.

I've appreciated all your updates here: this looks like the best DDR4 mini-ITX motherboard for Alder Lake. Still waiting a re-stock here in the US.

Interestingly, EK just this week told me their AIO pump block did fit on the Gigabyte Z690I Aorus Ultra board. Maybe it's RAM-dependent? I have some G.SKILL Trident Z Neo. Or perhaps EK doesn't mind it butting against the RAM. I'm all right with a bit of pressure, but if it's pulling the DIMM out of the socket... if / when this motherboard ever restocks, I'll send some pictures here.

Just returned a Liquid Freezer II that definitely does not fit on the Z690I Aorus Ultra, confirmed by both Arctic and users.

That block is not installed.

I have the non-rgb ballistix ram. The heatspreaders are exactly the same.

That block is not installed.

I have the non-rgb ballistix ram. The heatspreaders are exactly the same.
Yep: I thought, "A high caliber outfit like EKWB must've tested it already. Surely they noticed how close the tubes were to the RAM." Sigh, if this AIO then doesn't jive with the G.SKILL DIMMs, that'll be a speedy return: the holidays have ended, so Amazon's return policies are back to normal lengths.

Shame: EKWB should be more like Arctic who maintains an active, and public, list of incompatible motherboards.

I previously had an H80i V2 whose pump was usable enough that I didn't bother with the USB 2.0 header. But, still, how does Gigabyte does a motherboard that is incompatible with the top two AIOs on the market?

Yep: I thought, "A high caliber outfit like EKWB must've tested it already. Surely they noticed how close the tubes were to the RAM." Sigh, if this AIO then doesn't jive with the G.SKILL DIMMs, that'll be a speedy return: the holidays have ended, so Amazon's return policies are back to normal lengths.

Shame: EKWB should be more like Arctic who maintains an active, and public, list of incompatible motherboards.

I previously had an H80i V2 whose pump was usable enough that I didn't bother with the USB 2.0 header. But, still, how does Gigabyte does a motherboard that is incompatible with the top two AIOs on the market?

From my understanding a few itx z690i's have this problem.

Update: I'm using the ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I (what a mouthful) with the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280 in a Meshlicious build, with Arctic's official LGA1700 bracket. The only AIO pump block orientation that fit with the NVMe / PCH heatsink installed seems to be with the pump block fan on the left or right (towards I/O shield or towards 24-pin connector).

It fits, just barely. The problematic area is Arctic's mounting bracket, not the pump / waterblock: it touches the RAM heatsinks at the edges for some unknown socket (not even LGA2066 is that big). I cut that bit off to make it easier to install / remove + the peace of mind it's not pushing on the RAM. Red is where I cut it, with a Dremel cutting wheel.

//

Results: excellent overall. At 25C ambient, with PL1 = PL2 = 4096W and stock clocks (e.g., 8x 4.7 GHz P-cores + 4x 3.6 GHz E-cores), using HWiNFO64's average temperatures. This is with Arctic's MX-5 + AC LF II 280 in push-intake (e.g., fans at the front of radiator; blow hot air into the case).

Idle: 28C core / 33C package
Cinebench R23 multi-core: 72C core / 80C package (score: 22,721 pts)

Overall:
i7-12700K stock
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I
G.SKILL TridentZ DDR5-6000 / 36-36-36-76 (@ XMP I, aka ASUS + G.SKILL timings)
Windows 11 Pro x64 (22000.493)
Cinebench R23.200

Same here. I keep getting the itch to try DDR5 myself, but I'm thinking of just waiting to later this year for Raptor Lake.
As someone who recently switched to a DDR5 build (on a tiny DDR5 sale), you are not missing anything, IMHO. DDR5 still has its teething pains. I got lucky (DDR5 is best w/ two-slot motherboards, e.g., mini-ITX) that everything worked out of the box like a charm for me (XMP, reboot, done), but plenty on OCN have had trouble as DDR5 ICs (SK Hynix, Samsung, Micron) are still working out their compatibility.

And, of course, the DDR5 latency hit vs good DDR4: I had DDR4-3600 / CL18 (10ns), so DDR5-6000 / CL36 (12ns) was a 20% increase (didn't bench w/ AIDA, but just the straight math). If mini-ITX DDR4 Z690 boards had been available, I wouldn't have spent the premium (on both the board and the RAM). I needed the rig for work, so I bit the bullet, but DDR4 is quite strong, esp. with a good kit.

Now FWIW good DDR5 kits clock well: 6400 / CL32 (10ns) is not too uncommon, so a matter of time until these will be XMP "stock" kits for a much more reasonable price (esp as Zen4 is rumored to be DDR5-only). And, for those using 4x DIMMs, RKL hopefully has an updated / stronger DDR5 IMC. Currently, 4x sticks dual-ranked are only certified by Intel to DDR5-3600 on the Alder Lake DDR5 IMC:

A bit off topic for the cooling solution thread, but tbh, it's a similar "transition period" issue.

I bought an MSI CORELIQUID P240. I'm happy with cooling performance but the fans suck and make a knocking sound at low RPM.

I modified an older bracket from noctua that does 115x up to 2066, just took a drill it that fit the hole and used it to knock the notches out. Worked fine just don't overtorque it obviously. Worked for a water block and a noctua nh-d15 so I'm happy.

I also got a 1700 adapter on Amazon, from noctua for about $9.

I was casually looking to see if I could use my "older" Corsair H100x with ADL, and there is an LGA1700 kit for it, however, it is always OOS. Ebay clowns are scalping them for $40 shipped for 4 new screws.

Back