Poll: Alder Lake owners: were you able to get a cooling solution for LGA 1700?

Alder Lake owners: were you able to get an LGA 1700 cooling solution?

• Total voters

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
1. Bought a cooler which shipped with LGA 1700 support: means you were able to buy a cooler which supports LGA 1700 out of the box and are either cooling your Alder CPU with it now----or will be soon.

2. Got an LGA 1700 conversion kit for a cooler I already own: Means you were able to get a conversion kit for a cooler which you already own and are either cooling your Alder Lake CPU with it now-----or will be soon.

3. Unable to find any LGA 1700 coolers to buy: You wished to buy a new cooler for your Alder Lake CPU, but have been unable to find any to buy, which ship with LGA 1700 support out of the box.

4. No LGA 1700 conversion kits offered for a cooler I already own and wished to use: This means the brand/maker of a cooler you already own and wish to use---has no plans to offer a conversion kit for the particular model you own.

5. Waiting for a conversion kit I have already ordered: You have been able to order a conversion kit for a cooler which you already own, but are still waiting to receive it.

6. Waiting for conversion kit availability, for a cooler I already own: You own a cooler which will have a conversion kit, but the brand/maker has not yet made it available to order or their first batch was ordered/sold out, before you had a chance to order one.

Last edited:
I made this poll, because I'm seeing a lot of complaints around the internet, about availability of cooling solutions for Alder Lake/LGA 1700.

I limited voting to one choice per voter. I realize people's situations may match more than one option. But the choices are already fairly complicated and I want people to respond about their primary use case.

In example, I intend to use an EK AIO 240mm basic, with my 12700k. EK's support has confirmed that there will be a conversion kit offerred-----but they have not yet announced its availability. They told me to wait and watch their social media. I otherwise have no idea when I will be able to use my EK AIO, to cool my 12700k. **Update** EK's LGA 1700 kit is available: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-aio-lga1700-upgrade-kit

I do also own an Be Quiet! Shadow Rock TF 2 and thought it might be a backup option for cooling my 12700k. Its a cooler which should be sufficient for a 12700k or lower. Be Quiet! support confirmed to me that there will not be a conversion kit offered for that the Shadow Rock TF 2. They do have kits available to order, for most of their other relevant coolers. They only made the kits available to order, on Alder Lake release day.

My own vote is cast regarding my EK AIO, because that is my primary choice/use case.

Feel free to chime in about secondary situations, such as my failed backup plan for my Shadow Rock TF 2.

Last edited:
Noctua informed me that my NH-D15 mounting bracket shipped this afternoon. I only filled the form out on Friday lol :cool:
Apparently, noctua has also been shipping lga 1700 mounting hardware with new cooler shipments, for some time.

just ordered an enermax hsf.

put in a request for 1700 conversion. Let's see how fast they ship.

enermax office is local in socal.

all my other parts are coming midweek

just ordered an enermax hsf.

put in a request for 1700 conversion. Let's see how fast they ship.

enermax office is local in socal.

all my other parts are coming midweek
I called Enermax this morning and it took them 1hr to ship the LGA 1700 bracket with tracking number.
I also called MSI and they gave me 1w-2w time frame.

I made this poll, because I'm seeing a lot of complaints around the internet, about availability of cooling solutions for Alder Lake/LGA 1700.

I limited voting to one choice per voter. I realize people's situations may match more than one option. But the choices are already fairly complicated and I want people to respond about their primary use case.

In example, I intend to use an EK AIO 240mm basic, with my 12700k. EK's support has confirmed that there will be a conversion kit offerred-----but they have not yet announced its availability. They told me to wait and watch their social media. I otherwise have no idea when I will be able to use my EK AIO, to cool my 12700k.

I do also own an Be Quiet! Shadow Rock TF 2 and thought it might be a backup option for cooling my 12700k. Its a cooler which should be sufficient for a 12700k or lower. Be Quiet! support confirmed to me that there will not be a conversion kit offered for that the Shadow Rock TF 2. They do have kits available to order, for most of their other relevant coolers. They only made the kits available to order, on Alder Lake release day.

My own vote is cast regarding my EK AIO, because that is my primary choice/use case.

Feel free to chime in about secondary situations, such as my failed backup plan for my Shadow Rock TF 2.

I have the 360mm Basic. I don't social media, so my plan is to wait for chameleoneel to tell me when it's available :D.

I wonder if the Pro Siphon Elite will have a mounting bracket as this cooler has a higher TDP limit than most.

Bought a Noctua D15S and the LGA1700 bracket on Amazon. Didn't want to wait for the free one lol.

crap. Enermax doesn't have any stock on the 1700 adapter until next week at the earliest for the T40 fan i bought

they only have the T50 adapter.

fortunately i can use the heatsink temporarily without clamping it down, and it will still cool sufficiently.

Last edited:
Bought a Noctua D15S and the LGA1700 bracket on Amazon. Didn't want to wait for the free one lol.
I already own a D15 and ordered the adapter from Amazon. It's coming in Saturday. Now I just need some DDR5.

crap. Enermax doesn't have any stock on the 1700 adapter until next week at the earliest for the T40 fan i bought

they only have the T50 adapter.

fortunately i can use the heatsink temporarily without clamping it down, and it will still cool sufficiently.

This is going to be a gigantic YMMV.

First of all, he used a stock 7600k. Which is way less demanding than a 12 series intel.

I've recently had my own experience with an 11900k where I didn't crank my EK AIO absolutely tight and once I did, I went from instant 100c in Cinibench R23 to staying in the early 90's.

This is going to be a gigantic YMMV.

First of all, he used a stock 7600k. Which is way less demanding than a 12 series intel.

I've recently had my own experience with an 11900k where I didn't crank my EK AIO absolutely tight and once I did, I went from instant 100c in Cinibench R23 to staying in the early 90's.

yeah i'm not gonna run my cpu at full load yet.

just need to test if all the components work, as i wait for the stupid heatsink bracket.

Enermax says next week, but who knows, with supply chain issues and shipping delays

Right but at > 200W it may actually pull ahead.
In any case, I wouldn't run one based on its HUGE size. ;-)
It won't, I have one and have already tested it on 1200 and 2066 sockets where Noctua D15 performs much better.

It won't, I have one and have already tested it on 1200 and 2066 sockets where Noctua D15 performs much better.
I wonder if it's due to the smaller chiplet size (compared to threadripper), which in the case of the latter performance is allegedly better.
I do like the NH-D15 black on my 5950X, it keeps things under heavy load with nearly identical temps as a good 360 AIO and is damn near silent!

Got my motherboard today from Newegg, which I ordered on launch day. And Best Buy finally allowed me to go pickup my 12700k, which I bought on launch day.

Still waiting for EK to announce LGA 1700 brackets for their AIO's........

I wonder if it's due to the smaller chiplet size (compared to threadripper), which in the case of the latter performance is allegedly better.
I do like the NH-D15 black on my 5950X, it keeps things under heavy load with nearly identical temps as a good 360 AIO and is damn near silent!
Yeah exactly, it is due to the cold plate and IHS size being optimised for threadripper. If you have the D15 I'd stick with it. When derbauer opened his up it became more obvious why, it is a hollow cold plate inside and not solid like on heatpipe coolers.

I had a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black with the LGA 1700 conversion kit but decided to send it back to Amazon based on the high temperatures in the reviews of the 12900k. I replaced it with Artic Liquid Freezer II 360. The LGA 1700 conversion kit is on order. Hopefully it comes soon. I got the processor on Monday but my motherboard has been in California for the past 5 days according to UPS tracking. Going from Baldwin Park, to Riverside, back to Baldwin Park, then back to Riverside, and then to Ontario, CA where it's at today. One time it showed out for delivery in Riverside, CA. I live in North Carolina and my correct address does show on the UPS website. Crazy. Should have ordered a motherboard from Amazon instead of NewEgg.

I just bought a Noctua NH-D15s from Amazon, and also picked up the conversion kit for $10, rather than waiting to get one for free from Noctua. Amazon said they wouldn't get the conversion kit to me until later this month, but it actually shipped out way earlier and I should have it in a couple of days. Going to use this on my 12700k. Looking forward to seeing how well it does.

On a side note- does anyone know the ideal technique to apply thermal paste on Alder Lake- is it different than previous generations, given the different size?

I just bought a Noctua NH-D15s from Amazon, and also picked up the conversion kit for $10, rather than waiting to get one for free from Noctua. Amazon said they wouldn't get the conversion kit to me until later this month, but it actually shipped out way earlier and I should have it in a couple of days. Going to use this on my 12700k. Looking forward to seeing how well it does.

On a side note- does anyone know the ideal technique to apply thermal paste on Alder Lake- is it different than previous generations, given the different size?
I would spread it out over the whole IHS.

X marks the spot for me.
With an emphasis of thicker in the middle of the X and the lines stopping about 5mm before the corners. Lines quite thin no thicker than 1mm or you risk of too much paste squeezing out when clamping the plate down.

MY LGA 1700Kit did not arrive today for either of my two AIO 360mm,so I said muck it,bought Noctua NH-U12A chromax.Black on Amazon same day delivery,the warehouse is 1HR away and should be here soon. It comes with LGA 1700 kit.

Apparently I have no will power at all,bought 3 CPU coolers so far for 12900K. Going to run the Noctua NH-U12A chromax.Black along side of the installled Enermax LIQMAX III 360 ARGB White with just fans running.

Got my motherboard today from Newegg, which I ordered on launch day. And Best Buy finally allowed me to go pickup my 12700k, which I bought on launch day.

Still waiting for EK to announce LGA 1700 brackets for their AIO's........
It looks like the mounting hardware will line up with the holes. So I may just go ahead and try it.

But Alder Lake's Z-Height is different. It would be nice to have an actual LGA 1700 kit :(

I was hoping for an adapter kit for my corsair AIO but mine is not in their supported list so that does not seem to happen shame as it is pretty recent.

Coupled with the high motherboard prices, especially the DDR5 ones, low DDR 5 availability, I might stick with what I have for a while longer, see what the improved AMD ones bring to the table.

I installed the NH-U12A chromax.Black on 12900K with a little overclock,results were fine and good enough for PC gaming,did some encoding videos,tested file copy,cinebench23,aida64 with simple DDR4 3600Mhz dual rankk gear 1 with 1T CL14 timings.Currently testing 3866 CL14

The little OC 5200Mhz on a couple cores and 5100Mhz under cinebench 23 load at CPU 1.20v.

Have the NH-U12A chromax.Black install along side the Enermax LIQMAX III 360 ARGB White

Quick video of setup of coolers-

12900k test on air.jpg

I'm using a 20 year old AMD athlon64 stock cooler simply resting on my 12600k for now while I wait for my tower fan and 1700 adapter.
held on just by cheap thermal paste.

cinebench runs up the temps to 90+, but under normal use, it runs just fine under 50c

12 year old OCZ 600w psu runs it fine too.

IMG_20211110_190603.jpg

The MC I went to was offering a MSI coreliquid with 1700 support from the box and an adapter for the lian li galahad series aio. I picked up a 12900k and used my nh-d15, I had just received the adapter that day in the mail. I did not buy an AIO that day.

Arctic offering the LGA1700 mounting kit for their AIOs at no cost. Got mine in the UK within 3 days of filling out the online form.

Freezer II 280mm here with the kit installed on 12700KF. Temps are 28/29 degrees normal usage, 60/65 when gaming, 75 when benchmarking (Cinebench etc). All whilst all fans inc AIO are at 400-500rpm via a custom curve in the BIOS. Fans only spin faster when the CPU hits 60+.

Using Kryonaut paste btw.

What I find most amusing is that not only is this build cooler than my 6700K build I transplanted over from by over 20 degrees in all situations, but it's even quieter now than before lol. My laptop makes more noise than this setup at least until the RTX fans turn on when a game fires up.

Highly recommend!

pc_12thgenbuild_5000D-sideangle.jpg

Arctic offering the LGA1700 mounting kit for their AIOs at no cost. Got mine in the UK within 3 days of filling out the online form.

Freezer II 280mm here with the kit installed on 12700KF. Temps are 28/29 degrees normal usage, 60/65 when gaming, 75 when benchmarking (Cinebench etc). All whilst all fans inc AIO are at 400-500rpm via a custom curve in the BIOS. Fans only spin faster when the CPU hits 60+.

Using Kryonaut paste btw.

What I find most amusing is that not only is this build cooler than my 6700K build I transplanted over from by over 20 degrees in all situations, but it's even quieter now than before lol. My laptop makes more noise than this setup at least until the RTX fans turn on when a game fires up.

Highly recommend!

View attachment 412042
Guessing you never delidded that 6700k?

Back