Please share your afterburner voltage frequency curve

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
So I am revisiting undervolting my 3080Ti and was curious what voltage afterburner is setting (or you are setting) at idle.

I have found that 0.925 V @ 2025 MHz is the sweet spot for high load on my 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro Copper, but when It idles It never dips below 0.900 V. Is this normal? Or am I missing a setting to make it drop down lower when idling?

I should also ask why does my card never drop below 1800mhz at at idle? is there an adaptive setting in msi afterburner? Like when it is idle it drops down significantly in power/voltage/clocks when it doesn't need to be juiced up? Because right now I'm stuck at either 900 at idle or 925 for load and this isn't ideal right?

Last edited:
Sounds like you are stuck at 3d clocks. Maybe turn on multi-display power saver with Nvidia Inspector and see if that helps. How high is your idle power consumption.

Sounds like you are stuck at 3d clocks. Maybe turn on multi-display power saver with Nvidia Inspector and see if that helps. How high is your idle power consumption.
3d clocks? what do you mean? Multi display power saver? but I don't have nvidia inspector, is it in the nvidia control panel? I have power managment set to normal.

My idle power consumption is now at 0.775V now that I have tweaked afterburner a bit nvidia overlay says 100 watts is that normal? the gpu clock is still sitting at 1800MHz.

Is it just me or I thought it wouldn't need to be at 1800MHz at the desktop idling?

this is mine at the desktop, 3080Ti FE
GPU-Z 3080Ti.gif

3d clocks? what do you mean? Multi display power saver? but I don't have nvidia inspector, is it in the nvidia control panel? I have power managment set to normal.

My idle power consumption is now at 0.775V now that I have tweaked afterburner a bit nvidia overlay says 100 watts is that normal? the gpu clock is still sitting at 1800MHz.

Is it just me or I thought it wouldn't need to be at 1800MHz at the desktop idling?

100W idle power consumption isn’t normal. Something is keeping your clocks elevated. 30-40W is something that’s more typical if you have a high refresh rate display. If you have a 60hz display idle consumption should be way lower, more like 15W.

this is mine at the desktop, 3080Ti FE
View attachment 476254
So my voltage is fine in the 0.775 range? Just my GPU clock is not at 200MHz like your mine is at 700 or 800 MHz.
Is your card running stock? I don't like running stock settings because it takes my voltage up to 1.1V which is astronomically high for no good reason.

How can I use afterburner to keep my high load settings yet lower my idle power?

100W idle power consumption isn’t normal. Something is keeping your clocks elevated. 30-40W is something that’s more typical if you have a high refresh rate display. If you have a 60hz display idle consumption should be way lower, more like 15W.
I'm only at 120hz on 4k what settings can I adjust to get the idle power lower? Are you running stock settings? I'm using afterburner to undervolt my overclock, I just need to lower the idle or low power use but how?

So my voltage is fine in the 0.775 range? Just my GPU clock is not at 200MHz like your mine is at 700 or 800 MHz.
Is your card running stock? I don't like running stock settings because it takes my voltage up to 1.1V which is astronomically high for no good reason.

How can I use afterburner to keep my high load settings yet lower my idle power?
Ya, mine is running stock. I've only been "using" it for a few weeks even though I've had the card since last June, it just sat basically unused in my new PC in my room.

My 3080 (Founder Edition, non-Ti) idles at just a few tens of watts.

Since I like to run computers 24/7, idle power draw needs to stay low to keep bills low.

I also agree, 100 watt for just the GPU is abnormal unless maybe it was a bad fabbing that couldn't do an idle undervolt well.

With a bit of optimizing, I can get a little bit less than that with whole-tower idle power draw via my Kill-a-Watt (I'm using 80PLUS Platinum power supply to help with that, 90% efficiency).

I've seen whole-tower power draw as low as 60-70 watts reading at the power socket on a Kill-a-Watt. After a few Windows updates, I saw it go to 100-110, but after re-optimizing idle power draw, it went back to 60-70. I didn't check numbers recently, but I'd wager my GPU was roughly half of that whole-tower power draw at the outlet.

Multiply that by a few computers all year long, and savings noticeably adds up on the monthly bill.

Last edited:
What does your curve look like in afterburner?
afterburner undervolt.jpg

This is my first attempt at trying to overclock/undervolt the gpu since i always relied on the stock boosting. After realizing that I don't need 1.1 volts I can never leave it stock again.

Maybe if a line was drawn in Microsoft paint to where I should have the curve be and i can just go mimic it in my afterburner curve? cause the graph isn't very intuitive and hard to figure out how to fine tune it easily

My 3080 (Founder Edition, non-Ti) idles at just a few tens of watts.

Since I like to run computers 24/7, idle power draw needs to stay low to keep bills low.

I also agree, 100 watt for just the GPU is abnormal unless maybe it was a bad fabbing that couldn't do an idle undervolt well.

With a bit of optimizing, I can get a little bit less than that with whole-tower idle power draw via my Kill-a-Watt (I'm using 80PLUS Platinum power supply to help with that).

I've seen whole-tower power draw as low as 60-70 watts reading at the power socket on a Kill-a-Watt. After a few Windows updates, I saw it go to 100-110, but after re-optimizing idle power draw, it went back to 60-70. I didn't check numbers recently, but I'd wager my GPU was roughly half of that whole-tower power draw at the outlet.
Any chance I can see your afterburner graph? Or tips on how to get my gpus to have super low power when it's not under load? I have a kill a watt also i used to use back in the day when I had quad sli oh boi the silly things I've done lol

The thing is there are many tutorials on how to undervolt for max power but none for how to get the undervolt right for the entire curve from idle to moderate loads not just max boost.

I admit I didn't aggressively optimize that specific computer -- it was just really well optimized with minor tweaks targeted only to idle.

Because of the work-optimized nature of that tower, I profess to caring less about undervolting peak load, as much as making sure idle is low power -- this is because 80-90% of the time I'm working, programming, documents, creating specs, email, research contributions, etc, rather than throttling it fully up into full gaming (10-20% of the computer's daytime use, probably more like 5% of the computer on-time).

Simply typing text into a document, email, spreadsheet, Visual Studio, etc is practically near-idle most of the time except the usual surges when something begins to index (Intellsense / Find / etc) or cloud-sync, fast scrolling, etc.

The watt-hours difference of optimizing idle far exceeded optimizing peak for my specific usage patterns. Thus, I simply attacked the low-lying apples. (I play less hours than the hours of esports players, due to the nature of my work.)

(Currently, I need to reinstall Afterburner on that tower. It had a Windows reinstall. But the GPU wattage/voltage numbers weren't too vastly different from Zephers' above IIRC. I have the non-Ti, though)

Last edited:
I don't use Afterburner, but this is what I have at desktop. This isn't quite idle as I have a Bluestacks client running with Arknights open, and also a lot of applications and some browsers... but close enough.

1653425193995.png

I haven't edited the voltage curve manually yet. I do have a custom fan curve but that only matters when it's actually gaming anyway.

Yea I really need to see someone's afterburner custom graph to see what the perfect curve is or close to it.

If I have a baseline I can tweak it further I just don't even have a starting point.

It seems most people only know how to set the voltage for max boost. What about the rest of the entire curve?

On intel CPU's I've been setting adaptive offsets for years, what about the Nvidia GPU's offset style curve in afterburner? Anyone? Help! lol

My brand new 3080 12gb idles at around 90w when on desktop my gtx 1080ti idled around 60w.

After a lot of digging and research, the problem is apparently multiple monitors with different resolutions and refresh rates. (I run dual 4k60 and a single 1440p165hz) so I don't think there's anything I can do to make it sip less power. ☹️

It does only idle at 10w with every screen turned off, so that's a big improvement.

Last edited:
After a lot of digging and research, the problem is apparently multiple monitors with different resolutions and refresh rates. (I run dual 4k60 and a single 1440p165hz) so I don't think there's anything I can do to make it sip less power. ☹️

I'm not sure if that's the case... I have 3440x1440@100Hz (main), 1440p@144Hz, 1440p@60Hz, and 1080p@60 (projector), which basically fills up all of my slots, yet my idle (which is technically not even idle really) wattage is as you see in that screenshot. Although I guess maybe it's the 2x4k@60 that you have, they're probably higher throughput. Well, almost impossible to say at this point unfortunately.

Yea I really need to see someone's afterburner custom graph to see what the perfect curve is or close to it.

If I have a baseline I can tweak it further I just don't even have a starting point.

It seems most people only know how to set the voltage for max boost. What about the rest of the entire curve?

On intel CPU's I've been setting adaptive offsets for years, what about the Nvidia GPU's offset style curve in afterburner? Anyone? Help! lol

Well if it helps here's what mine supposedly looks like via the EVGA application.
1653522796602.png

But this is just the default curve anyway. So I don't know how much that would help you.

Last edited:
Ok I changed the name of this thread to please share your afterburner voltage frequency curve let's see if I can get 1, just 1 decent sample curve as a baseline lol

My brand new 3080 12gb idles at around 90w when on desktop my gtx 1080ti idled around 60w.

It does only idle at 10w with every screen turned off, so that's a big improvement.
Afterburner doesn't even go as low as that. The lowest number for voltage available to set it to is 700. My 3080Ti literally has no choice but to stay above 700V at all times, is this normal afterburner users?

I like to tinker around too with undervolting and OC but if you are spending approx. 1900 for a GPU the cost of electricity should not even be an issue. Now if you are running an asic mining farm like my son does power savings correlates to increase profit.

The only increase in performance with my old 390X with down clocking VRAM and undervolting GPU core was due to memory timings tightening up at lower speeds.

I like to tinker around too with undervolting and OC but if you are spending approx. 1900 for a GPU the cost of electricity should not even be an issue. Now if you are running an asic mining farm like my son does power savings correlates to increase profit.

The only increase in performance with my old 390X with down clocking VRAM and undervolting GPU core was due to memory timings tightening up at lower speeds.
No I agree. It's not for the cost of electricity. It's just to maximize the overclock while using the minimum voltage throughout the entire curve to lengthen the lifespan of the card. I just never want issues like my last 2080ti that i needed to rma which was a nightmare cause my loop had to stay open for a month or more. I want to avoid any potential issues by using the optimal voltage because I feel like stock It's way to high and will burn my card faster.

Yeah I understand extending the life as much as you can with supply and pricing going nuts. I do Analytical chemistry for a living and I would take the temp sensor readings with a grain of salt. There is a Intel white paper explaining how the CPU thermocouples/sensors are highly inaccurate at idle conditions. If I find it I will post link. In my realm people confuse accuracy and precision variables all the time.

I've been working on tweaking my 3080 12gb voltage curve and I'm getting pretty close to one I like.

I'll share it when I feel its "done", just give me a couple more days of testing.

My main goal is to hit around 2000mhz but keep power draw around 1v. I have it pretty close to that at 1900mhz with it bouncing up to 2050mhz when not at full load and drawing around 330w.

Way better than the 2050mhz at 430 watts it was doing at stock (wtf) but I think I can do better.

I also have my RAM currently at +600mhz with zero stability issues, so I'm really curious how far I can take it.

1653678648128.png

Alright, so this is a 3080 12GB Gaming Z Trio with 3x 8pin power connectors. So things are a little different from a 3080 Ti.
This is, at least so far, what works best for me. It keeps my power draw under 350watts and when i'm playing something that isn't artifically as demanding as a benchmark, it sticks around 2050mhz which seems to be a soft cap for this card no matter what the voltage is. Which is why i'm preventing it from going any higher.
I might mess around with it more in the future, but i'm pretty damn happy with this.

I've been able to push the memory up to 850 and it be stable, but honestly I didn't notice any performance difference at all, so I just toned it down a bit to hopefully not cause any future crashes.

Edit: Updated it just a little bit. Getting slightly higher clocks all around with roughly the same power usage (around 340w). I played a fair bit of Cyberpunk with no crashes. I think i'm gonna leave it here for a while because it seems to work quite well.
Idle desktop open power usage is still right around 90w at 450mhz, and it's still going to 10w with all monitors asleep at 210mhz.
1653685996171.png

Last edited:
I want to avoid any potential issues by using the optimal voltage because I feel like stock It's way to high and will burn my card faster.
Lets be honest here, what is the chance of you burning out your card before you sell it or retire it to component tester duty in the back of your room/closet somewhere?

I'm not sure if it still does this but mine did that (I think even worse) if I had it set to "prefer maximum performance" in the nvidia control panel. The clocks would stay at the maximum frequency even sitting at the desktop. If I leave it on "Normal" its fine.

I'm set to 1920 at a maximum of 900mv on my 3080. I did it because of the noise.

Back