Placing Small Security Camera in Aluminum Case?

Boris_yo

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I want to place USB security camera in aluminum case to keep it cooler. Do you think aluminum case prevents fire from spreading in case camera is left months without supervision and overheats and starts burning?

I will place camera on top of cupboard and need aluminum case to hold camera in place. I will connect USB cable to it to ensure consistent power supply. Currently I connect camera to power bank.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• imageonline-co-merged-image.jpg.png
    imageonline-co-merged-image.jpg.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210929-115741_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210929-115741_Gallery.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure there is a good answer to this. But:

- I don't think it would prevent the camera from overheating. It won't act as a heatsink unless the aluminum is in direct contact with the part that gets hot,
- aluminum is a conductor so in the event of a serious failure, whereupon some wires lose insulation, it will actually cause a short-circuit and that'd be worse,
- it would block air from coming in contact with the burning surface and feeding the flame, and would protect it from moisture and dust, which is good
- I'd worry about the power supply/power bank more than the camera, to be honest. And the cable that would power the camera, too.

Agreed with above. Aluminum Case will not keep it cooler, it will impede air flow, would need vented, and if vented wouldn't be a fire block.
All that said, usb is 5v 500ma. Good luck starting a fire with fault current. I would say skip the case, unless you want to protect it from water or dust, then by all means use a case. It neither needs to run cooler or be protected from burning.

It neither needs to run cooler or be protected from burning.
It would still help me fix camera in place due to camera's lightweight. Without case the USB cord will put camera under its weight and won't let it stay fixed.

Fixing camera with double sided tape will block air from keeping it cool, plus we are talking about wood surface without varnish. So far aluminum box seems like a better container than plastic.

Reactions: travm
like this
It would still help me fix camera in place due to camera's lightweight. Without case the USB cord will put camera under its weight and won't let it stay fixed.

Fixing camera with double sided tape will block air from keeping it cool, plus we are talking about wood surface without varnish. So far aluminum box seems like a better container than plastic.
Then box it up, can't imagine any problem.

Back