Pixel android 12 vs One UI 4

Pixel android 12 or One UI 4 ?

• Pixel android 12

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • One UI 4

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
My past unpleasant experience with TouchWiz is what chased me to the Pixel phones with stock Android. I've read a lot of positive hype over One UI, but haven't tried it. I might buy a used or refurb S21 just to see what it's like. It'd have to be mighty impressive to get me to stick with it over stock Android.

I actually think OneUI is probably better than stock Android 12 at the moment. With or without Nova since some things (like the shade, options menu, etc.) run deeper than just the launcher.
That said, I don't think it matters much. You're still stuck with Samsung's system apps that don't look alike, work alike, or have anything in common with OneUI.

i'm not a Samsung Fanboy nor a Pixel Fanboy as I've had many phones of each. The one thing that I enjoyed about Pixel phones was the immediate OS updates when it took about 6 months for Samsung to get the latest OS update. With Samsung lagging barely a month behind Google with the latest OS update, that advantage isn't really there for Pixel anymore. Also, most of the time the new OS update isn't drastic and a lot of the features that the new Google OS adds is things that Samsung already has. Samsung doesn't skimp on hardware usually and they really give a lot of options and features in OneUI. If Samsung continues with the quick updates, it may be hard to go back to Pixel at least for me. There are some things that I do like on Pixel UI with the exclusive Google Assistant features, etc, but in general Pixel UI is pretty plain compared to OneUI while also being in constant "beta waiting for fix from Google" mode. Pixel usually is fairly smooth and just works, but Google has work to do.

I'm a fan of the default Pixel launcher because I know how it's going to work after having Pixels since the OG Pixel. The last Samsung I used was an S8 and I wasn't a fan of the differences in the app drawer, etc. I would imagine that those who have used Samsungs for years probably feel the same way about the Pixel launcher.

I'm a fan of the default Pixel launcher because I know how it's going to work after having Pixels since the OG Pixel. The last Samsung I used was an S8 and I wasn't a fan of the differences in the app drawer, etc. I would imagine that those who have used Samsungs for years probably feel the same way about the Pixel launcher.

At least IMO the Pixel Launcher has gotten worse while Samsung's has gotten better. The app drawer is the one area where the Pixel launcher has OneUI beat hands-down. Samsung's shade similarly trumps the Pixel, though. With Samsung, you don't have the top rows of your UI locked down by "At a Glance," either. Buuuut you're still stuck with 10GB of Samsung's trash system apps. There's no perfect solution, but a Pixel device running Nova is probably as close as you'll get.

At least IMO the Pixel Launcher has gotten worse while Samsung's has gotten better. The app drawer is the one area where the Pixel launcher has OneUI beat hands-down. Samsung's shade similarly trumps the Pixel, though. With Samsung, you don't have the top rows of your UI locked down by "At a Glance," either. Buuuut you're still stuck with 10GB of Samsung's trash system apps. There's no perfect solution, but a Pixel device running Nova is probably as close as you'll get.

Every once in a while, I switch back just to see how much different it is. I even tried an iPhone for a month over the summer. I get what you're saying about Samsung's trash system apps, but fortunately, phone storage has been getting larger and you can always just swap out the Samsung apps for stock Google ones (at least last time I checked). I was at BB the other day and held a placeholder S22. I like the smaller physical size compared to the larger and larger Pixel phones. I could see myself swapping my Pixel 5 for one.

I kind of like the swipe left getting to a news feed that Google has been doing for a while. It's convenient once their algorithms know what you like to read and what you don't... Although still creepy when stories show up there right after you talked about something with your significant other...

I get what you're saying about Samsung's trash system apps, but fortunately, phone storage has been getting larger and you can always just swap out the Samsung apps for stock Google ones (at least last time I checked).

You kinda can, but you kinda can't. You can never fully get rid of Samsung's system apps and no matter what you do. Some apps/functions that want to use your calendar, clock, contacts, etc. will always pull them up. The best you can do is to download Google's versions, set 'em as the defaults, clear all the cache/data from the Sammy apps, and use Nova to hide them. They're still there taking up space and occasionally rearing their ugly head, but you don't have to look at them much. Whenever major updates roll out they'll definitely be back and (usually) set to your defaults again, though.

You can replicate the left swipe functionality on a Sammy now, though. It has it's own news app (Flip or something like that), but you can replace it with Google's. You can also just create a shortcut to the Google app, which is the same thing. With Nova, you can replicate the Pixel experience 90% of the way if not better, but you can never totally get rid of Samsung's horrendous software. You're also kinda stuck with their camera software no matter what. GCam will work on other devices, but it rarely works well.

Back