Pixel 6 / Pixel 6 Pro / Pixel 6a

I used to go all in on storage for my phones, but rarely used more than half of what I paid for. 128GB is plenty for me now. In fact I still haven't filled more than 85GB in any of my last 3 phones.

128GB was when onboard storage started to become enough for me so since it's the base amount, I'm pretty happy.

It forces you to tap the entire phone on the reader instead of just tapping the top. Combined with no face-unlock, it makes for a very awkward procedure to unlock using the front fingerprint reader before switching grips to tap the NFC.
I will say that a rear finger print sensor is perfectly placed; any phone without that will be a hard pass until I'm forced to upgrade.

One thing for me to keep in mind I still have my iPhone 12 Pro Max and the main thing I love about that phone is the huge bright high quality display.

So if the Pixel 6 Pro has a similar type screen even though it's curved but a big large bright gorgeous display is what I'm after.

I like picking up my 12 Pro Max and just feeling the heft the high build quality and that beautiful screen to look at I hope the Pixel 6 Pro can give me a similar experience but minus the terrible iOS.

But my daily driver this month has been my Pixel 4 XL again.

Last edited:
What is the total GB capacity on your present phone and how much of that is used?
256GB on this OnePlus 8T+. I've used a whole 43GB. So the 6 Pro I ordered is only 128GB version. I don't keep music or pictures on my phone. All photos get sent to my Nextcloud instance as soon as they're taken no matter what.

I like the dark grey one!

As for chargers, I've got a few of these babies...

Nekteck 45W USB C Wall Charger with Power Delivery, Laptop Fast Charging Adapter Built-in 6ft Type C Cable Compatible with MacBook, Dell XPS, Surface Go, Pixel, Galaxy(NOT Ideal for Note10/S10/10+PPS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719KV9P...abc_7QCRPW1KP31GXRE2SG4T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm liking his thoughts on the screen curve. I've seen some YouTubers make similar comments. Fingers crossed!! 🤞
When every single one of us is putting the phone in a case, why would the curved screen bother you?

"Cases, alas, are also part of the problem with curved phone displays. Most cases work by grabbing onto the edges of the phone’s bezel to keep your screen visible. But a curved screen means less bezel for grabbing. That leaves case makers in the precarious position of choosing to either grab onto very little material or cover your screen.

You can see this issue even more with thin cases, which often can feel like they’re barely hanging on to the phone. And since they do grab what the small amount of bezel available, the screen can rise above the edges of the case. Thus, when dropped face down the phone may as well not have a case on at all.

If you like to have a screen protector on your phone, you’re going to regret that curved display as well. Making a plastic or glass piece that adheres to a flat surface is simple. But gluing plastic and tempered glass to a curved surface is much more difficult". Source

The placing of the buttons is also kind of strange — the power button is above the volume rocker, making it slightly awkward to take a screenshot.
I've seen this comment from more than place now but it truly confuses me. Literally every single Pixel phone has the power button above the volume rocker. Even the Nexus 6P and 5X are configured like that. How is this possibly a "strange" thing?

It sounds more like because Samsung did it the other way around for just two generations (S20 and S21) that this reviewer is now somehow thinking that's the only way.

Well, except for the fact my phone constantly vibrates and it won't detect it's SIM android 12 rules.
I guell I'll rollback and go to Best buy to play with the demo Pixel 6 options.

I just went with the stock Google "stormy sky" case. I figure that as long as it has a slight lip to protect the camera (and a decent grip), that's plenty. If not, I might branch out a little. I mainly just don't want something that adds a lot of size to the phone itself.
I always see people with iPhones and those zany ass cases that make their phone 2x as large.

Seen any announcements? There's nothing on their page listed for the 6/6 Pro, and they still have nothing for the 5a (but maybe that's because that phone is such a limited release).

I have a Presidio case for my Pixel 2 and it's held up extremely well.
Nothing yet. Speck usually releases their latest Pixel case 6-8 weeks after the phone's debut.

I've used the Presidio cases for over 5 years on every phone I've owned. I think they're great.

The translate functionality is something that really interests me. I travel to Germany relatively often, but don't really speak the language beyond knowing a lot of random individual words. Yet even since Google Translate started to get really good (and Lens would translate photos of signs and such), that has barely been an issue. Being able to straight up real-time translate even basic phrases is a game changer.

I've been reading so much about the Pro and really getting tempted for it. That Pro looks really nice though. I guess I have 30 days to exchange after my regular arrives.

Considering T-mobile will give me 100 bucks more in credit for my OP7t than I paid for it, the Pixel 6 was a no brainer. and with running my own NextCloud server, 128GB is more than enough room.

I wish Google let me trade in a 5a, if I could get a 6 with maximum convenience I'd upgrade. I'm surprised they don't even offer it as an option.

I wish Google let me trade in a 5a, if I could get a 6 with maximum convenience I'd upgrade. I'm surprised they don't even offer it as an option.

Kinda sucks Google released the $450 Pixel 5a just 2 months ago, and now for $599 release a significantly better phone in the Pixel 6.

I preordered 2 6 pros 256gbs models today in person at Best Buy. Accordingly to the sales guy it's supposed to arrive on the 27th. I told him I thought that was a day early but that's what his computer said.

Anyway I'm not a curved screen fan myself either but after playing with both in the store you definitely want the pro model. While the screen on the 6 is okay the screen on the pro is absolutely stunning. Right on par with the latest and greatest from Samsung. You honestly won't be disappointed. Also this is not a choice between a small and big phone. The regular 6 is really not that much smaller. It's the difference between a big phone and a slightly bigger phone. Because of that I'll opt for the noticeably better screen and deal with the curved edges.

Sadly Best Buy had a very aggressive demo running on the phone and I couldn't really do anything on it beyond turn it on and open the app drawer.

I preordered 2 6 pros 256gbs models today in person at Best Buy. Accordingly to the sales guy it's supposed to arrive on the 27th. I told him I thought that was a day early but that's what his computer said.

Anyway I'm not a curved screen fan myself either but after paying with both in the store you definitely want the pro model. While the screen on the 6 is okay the screen on the pro is absolutely stunning. Right on par with the latest and greatest from Samsung. You honestly won't be disappointed. Also this is not a choice between a small and big phone. The regular 6 is really not that much smaller. It's the difference between a big phone and a slightly bigger phone. Because of that I'll opt for the noticeably better screen and deal with the curved edges.

Sadly Best Buy had a very aggressive demo running on the phone and I couldn't really do anything on it beyond turn it on and open the app drawer.

Great to hear, thanks. I was really worried going 6 Pro because I'm not a fan of curved edge screens. But, I really want 120hz LPTO display, and also a high quality bright and colorful screen too, on par or better than my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I am currently using my Pixel 4 XL and this screen is mediocre, just dim, and washed out compared to my 12 PM. So hopefully the Pixel 6 Pro is the upgraded display tech I've always wanted in a Pixel.

I was all set on the regular flat Pixel 6, but then worried the screen was just ok, not 120hz, not bright, not high quality, so I said screw it, just get the 6 Pro and get the full on new technology.

Back