Pixel 5A

Ordering the 5a as well. They gave me 89$ for my one plus 7 pro with a cracked screen. About the going rate on Ebay after fee's ect... (a bit less) and no ebay BS...

Sad its not 90hz and 8GB ram, but I want the battery, camera's and hopefully screen is better readable outdoors :)

Last edited:
Looks like the normal Pixel 5's are now also sold out from Google, although Amazon still has 'em for retail price.

Engadget's review is proof this going to be a beast for battery life! Most reviewers are saying 2 days of battery life under normal usage which means 1 day of just constant use should be no problem!

I like the Volvo comparison, LOL. Still, I dunno about losing 90Hz or wireless charging. Is there a way to boost refresh rates on phones that don't normally support 'em or is that 100% hardware specific?

My only concern is the non-90hz screen. Of course, I've been using phones with 60hz screens for years and haven't had reason to complain. I'm not going to talk myself into disliking it before having it in my hands. The big boy battery is more important to me, anyway.

I like the Volvo comparison, LOL. Still, I dunno about losing 90Hz or wireless charging. Is there a way to boost refresh rates on phones that don't normally support 'em or is that 100% hardware specific?
Sadly nope :(

More phones need to do this, stuff in a bigger battery and make the phone thicker, so the camera bump is barely there;

Attachments

• Pixel-5a-review-11_mYSy4IIBqVOr-scaled.jpg
    Pixel-5a-review-11_mYSy4IIBqVOr-scaled.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm on FI, so I got the 3 diff subscription option scheme today.

I guess I could wrap up the year of security only updates and roll with my 3a until pixel 6a launches this time next year.

Let's see if my experience degrades after OD updates halt or not like all my other Nexus and Pixel phones.

I'm on FI, so I got the 3 diff subscription option scheme today.

I guess I could wrap up the year of security only updates and roll with my 3a until pixel 6a launches this time next year.

Let's see if my experience degrades after OD updates halt or not like all my other Nexus and Pixel phones.
Glad I saw your post. I'm on Fi but didn't know about the subscription offer. $15/month x 24 months interest free is a helluva lot nicer than dropping $500 all at once. I got $10 more on my trade in 3XL, too (y)

I ordered the 5a for my wife and I'm going to take her Pixel 5. Going to trade in my 3a. I figure I get the small size that I like, and she gets the larger battery that she likes.

Glad I saw your post. I'm on Fi but didn't know about the subscription offer. $15/month x 24 months interest free is a helluva lot nicer than dropping $500 all at once. I got $10 more on my trade in 3XL, too (y)
It's only $9 a month if you avoid the insurance. Which, naturally, depends on how well you trust yourself.

I got the exact same deal with the 4a a month ago. They've since sold out of the 4a completely. I'd prefer the 5a but I need a working phone and couldn't wait.

You can check the Pixel 2 thread as to why I had to upgrade immediately last month.

It's only $9 a month if you avoid the insurance. Which, naturally, depends on how well you trust yourself.

I got the exact same deal with the 4a a month ago. They've since sold out of the 4a completely. I'd prefer the 5a but I need a working phone and couldn't wait.

You can check the Pixel 2 thread as to why I had to upgrade immediately last month.
I'm kinda rough on my phones, so the insurance is something of a necessary evil in my case. Used it 4 times in the 3 years I've had my 3XL.:D

I ordered the 5a for my wife and I'm going to take her Pixel 5. Going to trade in my 3a. I figure I get the small size that I like, and she gets the larger battery that she likes.
That's exactly what I did with my ex re: phone sizing.

Also this whole debate about insurance boils down to it's a waste until you turn it off and crack a screen or toast a charging port module.

That's exactly what I did with my ex re: phone sizing.

Also this whole debate about insurance boils down to it's a waste until you turn it off and crack a screen or toast a charging port module.
USB C is alot less prone to breaking. I find it gets more gunked up than breaking :)

USB C is alot less prone to breaking. I find it gets more gunked up than breaking :)
My ex had either a bad anker cable or charging block fry the charging module on her pixel xl.
Bubbled face, melted component, etc.

I became a real stickler about not buying whatever cheapest charging combo for her to leave a copy everywhere she went after I had it fixed.

Almost pulled the trigger today... Not sure yet coming from my 4A, but that battery, damn.

If I had a 4a I would try and hold out. But if you need battery life what the going rate on Swappa for the 4a?
$300, and mine is perfect. However I usually keep my old phone and cycle ghost through the family.

I just ordered one a few minutes ago through the Google Store to replace my 7.5 year old HTC One M8. Should be here by the 30th of August.
7.5 years??? There's a man who squeezes every last molecule of use out of his phone. The 5A is going to feel like a handheld Cray super computer.

The normal Pixel 5's are now showing up as sold out in a lot of retailers. Amazon included, although they do say "in stock soon." I guess at this point I'm just going to see what the smaller 6 brings to the table price-wise.

My ex had either a bad anker cable or charging block fry the charging module on her pixel xl.
Bubbled face, melted component, etc.

I became a real stickler about not buying whatever cheapest charging combo for her to leave a copy everywhere she went after I had it fixed.

I think that's more because the OG Pixel had lots of underlying engineering issues. I got a $400 check in the class action settlement from owning the OG Pixel.

Almost pulled the trigger today... Not sure yet coming from my 4A, but that battery, damn.

It's definitely going to be a much larger phone than the 4A also if that's a concern. About a half inch taller.

It's definitely going to be a much larger phone than the 4A also if that's a concern. About a half inch taller.
Yeah, and honestly, I think I have liked the smaller 4A. I came from a 2XL. The smaller phone is just easier to handle overall.

7.5 years??? There's a man who squeezes every last molecule of use out of his phone. The 5A is going to feel like a handheld Cray super computer.

My HTC One M8 was a beast when it was initially released. The only bad thing about it was the last in class camera, but it's now gotten to the point that its performance just doesn't cut it anymore...

Sad to see it go. :cry:

Google definitely lowballs you with trades. Amazon, too. If you have the time to resell your older device via Itsworthmore, Gazelle, and such you'll almost always get more. Even shopping around the different resellers can net you 10-15% more than others. They're ALL out to make a profit, but some are more generous than others.

The 4a is over $415 on Swappa right now, is there an expectation that they'll will drop in price? They've been trending upward since April where they were $400.

Thanks, still not declining in price though, historically does anyone know if that actually happens after the replacement is readily available?

I think because the 4a is currently sold out everywhere the price may stay stable for a bit longer for those users who prefer smaller phones.

posted from my Pixel 4a

Thanks, still not declining in price though, historically does anyone know if that actually happens after the replacement is readily available?
4a owners that have to pay off their handset don't have a massive chipset or screen upgrade to tip them to go thru paying off their phone early.
Depending on carrier, it can be a pain.

Back