Pinephone or Librem phones?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Has anybody tried out the new linux phones yet? Either the Pinephone or Librem phones?

Just curious.

I have a Pinephone CE edition, running Ubuntu Touch. To this point it is nothing more than a toy, battery life is absolutely horrible, wifi is unreliable, LTE was broke last time I tried it, performance is crap (but you don't get much for $150). Mine is data only so I've not tested the calling functionality.

My goal was a none Google/Apple mostly open device I can customize and SSH into. This does that but it's just not viable quite yet, but it's currently getting almost daily updates so perhaps in the future, but I'd bet that's easily a year + out.

That is what I was thinking on it. A fun device to play around with.

How is the battery? A couple hours I'm guessing?

Regular use the battery will last less than half a day.

I did read somewhere they might release an extended battery, but so far i've not seen it.

Some of the more annoying issues; When waking up from sleep it can take 30sec + for wifi to reconnect, or the time/battery charge percentage to update.

Seems like Linux-based phones (not including Android) are in the same place where mainstream Linux has been for a while: it sounds good in theory, but it's another case of creators forgetting that ideology means nothing without good execution.

An iPhone user in China probably has more practical freedom than someone with a Linux phone, because they at least have a reliable device with a wide range of apps.

in the same place where mainstream Linux has been for a while: it sounds good in theory, but it's another case of creators forgetting that ideology means nothing without good execution.

facepalm.gif

Was watching openmoko for a while, but never got one. Might check these out later.

Back