Pimax Frontier 12x (6k per eye) ???

Looks pretty impressive, hopefully next gen GPUs will come out about the same time and be available. Looks like Nvidia for best results with these. Maybe time to upgrade, 2023.

Definitely keeping my eyes on this one. Sounds awesome. A whole year away though, so who knows what else will be out by then.

Cringe. Embellishment. Bait and switch. Hyperbole.
12K per eye mini OLED 500FPS 360 FOV!

Its fine to keep pushing forward but maybe they could focus more on improving existing models. They have a bad habit of overpromise and underdeliver. They'll presell a particular model and then the damn thing is already obsolete when it finally gets delivered to preorders 6-12 months later. A revised model will follow very quickly and early adopters feel burned.

Pimax is still a net positive for the VR space, and in fairness the VR hardware market is a money loser for most companies, but I avoid Pimax HMDs because the execution is too chaotic.

Last edited:
12K per eye mini OLED 500FPS 360 FOV!

Its fine to keep pushing forward but maybe they could focus more on improving existing models. They have a bad habit of overpromise and underdeliver. They'll presell a particular model and then the damn thing is already obsolete when it finally gets delivered to preorders 6-12 months later. A revised model will follow very quickly and early adopters feel burned.

Pimax is still a net positive for the VR space, and in fairness the VR hardware market is a money loser for most companies, but I avoid Pimax HMDs because the execution is too chaotic.

The fact that they kept upgrading the pre-existing models with either addons that were held together with duct tape, or releasing a new model with every single little upgrade they came up with, was bit of a problem.

Now it seems like they are starting from scratch, no addons, no preorders (at least not yet) and if I understood correctly they are going to have a program where anyone who bought 8KX can return their headsets and get a discount for this new Pimax Reality headset equivalent to the amount they originally paid for their 8KX.

It's ridiculous to think a company that delivered a rather basic HMD in comparison, the 8K-X; over two years late, delivered first headsets that had plastic housings cracking during shipping to customers, took two years to release a simple audio strap, and three years to design a controller and couldn't even get the thumbstick working properly, is going to release a VR headset that not only pushes the boundaries in every single area of VR, but destroys the boundaries, and includes everything but the kitchen sink, in one year, it just silly.

Run on sentences for the win!

This is a simple "get everyone to buy our current crap inventory" by promising them the world bait-and-switch. This thing is not coming out before the holidays next year; and if it does, won't have many of the promised features working correctly.

It's ridiculous to think a company that delivered a rather basic HMD in comparison, the 8K-X; over two years late, delivered first headsets that had plastic housings cracking during shipping to customers, took two years to release a simple audio strap, and three years to design a controller and couldn't even get the thumbstick working properly, is going to release a VR headset that not only pushes the boundaries in every single area of VR, but destroys the boundaries, and includes everything but the kitchen sink, in one year, it just silly.

Run on sentences for the win!

This is a simple "get everyone to buy our current crap inventory" by promising them the world bait-and-switch. This thing is not coming out before the holidays next year; and if it does, won't have many of the promised features working correctly.

Yeah I'm skeptical. I'm not going to let this stop my from buying other headsets. It would be cool if it has everything it promises though.

But even if it does come out with everything they've promised other companies are showing off or already coming out with low profile pancake lens headsets. They'll potentially be the norm a year from now.
I don't want a 200 lb headset riding my face when I could have a hot slim pancake lens micro oled headset I could get wild with and play all day.

Sounds great, but it'll be (at least) a year late. So we'll see it sometime end of 2023 or early 2024.

Oh yeah, it is definetly going to be a year late and absurdly heavy. But is this even real in the first place, they did say to have a prototype at CES next January. We probably know a lot more after that.

Yeah I'm skeptical. I'm not going to let this stop my from buying other headsets. It would be cool if it has everything it promises though.

But even if it does come out with everything they've promised other companies are showing off or already coming out with low profile pancake lens headsets. They'll potentially be the norm a year from now.
I don't want a 200 lb headset riding my face when I could have a hot slim pancake lens micro oled headset I could get wild with and play all day.
You talking about the Arpara 5K? Those pancake lenses block too much light and the FOV is nothing special.

It will have Fresnel Lenses?

6K for eye seems insane, I don't believe at Pimax, I'm so sorry.

It will have Fresnel Lenses?

6K for eye seems insane, I don't believe at Pimax, I'm so sorry.

A hybrid of sorts. Aspherical in the center where clarity is most important and turns to fresnel towards the edges. Pimax calls them Bionic lenses or something like that.

A hybrid of sorts. Aspherical in the center where clarity is most important and turns to fresnel towards the edges. Pimax calls them Bionic lenses or something like that.
I'm very sceptic about the marketing of Pimax. 6K for eye is breakthrough for VR, and I'm afraid that will be upscaling and not real

The Quest 2 taught me that resolution isn't everything. I have a far better experience on that versus my 8kX which I hardly use.

I appreciate what they are doing and trying to push, but I will no longer be an early adopter of their products.

Back