Pimax 8k and 5K+ reviews are up. And it's looking good!

I understood what you meant, but 2 *full* 4k feeds for each eye is not up to the GPU makers, but is instead up to the HMD ones. If your HMD only supports a single large input cable but twin displays with independent resolution, then VR SLI already caters to one GPU per eye, regardless of resolution.

If you're talking 2 display cables feeding separately to keep up with display needs, it's not necessary until bandwidth requirements for each display exceeds current standards. Pimax's design is an outlier - they basically have an HMD that cannot be utilized at full 200 FOV by most GPUs out there, both due to display and rendering power requirements. Even the HTC Vive Pro isn't 4K per-eye yet.

Once more production HMDs start requiring a lot more bandwidth, one could reasonably expect something like a newer VirtualLink or maybe something like a Dual-Link VL tech that will allow this.

^^^^ Well stated, fully agree. It’s going to take at least another generation (possibly two) before we see a single card that is capable of addressing the full resolution needs of upcoming HMD designs such as the Pimax 8Kx. They took the brute force, full bore resolution increase approach when it comes to meeting next gen VR design. I’m thinking the other players may pair milder Increases in resolution with other techniques.

I'm simply glad that Pimax is out there pushing the upper boundaries of VR headsets. It won't be perfect, but it will give us what we've been asking for and that the mainstream headset companies haven't been producing: wider FOV and higher resolution at an affordable price.

I'm simply glad that Pimax is out there pushing the upper boundaries of VR headsets. It won't be perfect, but it will give us what we've been asking for and that the mainstream headset companies haven't been producing: wider FOV and higher resolution at an affordable price.
Amen to this. Somebody has to take the leap and try to move the bar.

would these work with that 60ghz wifi board to make it wireless or is that proprietary to vive?

Agree. given the increased size of the pimax im wondering if there is a possiblity to put powerful local hardware inside like the quest but faster.

Pimax 8KX= Pimax 4K for eye (maybe)- I think that it's a bad marketing

I like how Pimax is pushing technology making higher FOV headsets, but their marketing is bullshit misleading. They name the headsets 4k 8k, or whatever and it isn't that resolution. They say 8k and it's a 4k panel for each eye (so half the total pixels of 8k resolution and only 1/4th 8k per eye), or before they had an X resolution headset and it didn't actually run at that resolution, it just scaled to it from a much lower resolution.

I like how Pimax is pushing technology making higher FOV headsets, but their marketing is bullshit misleading. They name the headsets 4k 8k, or whatever and it isn't that resolution. They say 8k and it's a 4k panel for each eye (so half the total pixels of 8k resolution and only 1/4th 8k per eye), or before they had an X resolution headset and it didn't actually run at that resolution, it just scaled to it from a much lower resolution.
This is the point, mate. PIMAX 8K= Pimax 4K for eye, maybe.

The 5K super is looking very appealing to me. 120hz and retains 200 FOV@1440P. That should put some load on my hardware.

I'm looking to replace my Oculus Rift this year and I'm interested in people's opinions on which is the better overall option. The 5K PiMax, the Index, or the G2 Reverb.

Image clarity and FOV are the most important aspect to me but the controllers and application platform are a VERY close second...the Index is obviously well supported in STEAM but what about the PiMax and Reverb G2?

I'm looking to replace my Oculus Rift this year and I'm interested in people's opinions on which is the better overall option. The 5K PiMax, the Index, or the G2 Reverb.

Image clarity and FOV are the most important aspect to me but the controllers and application platform are a VERY close second...the Index is obviously well supported in STEAM but what about the PiMax and Reverb G2?

Valve Index if you mainly play room scale games.

Reverb G2 is you are mainly playing sit down Sim games.

If you have a bigger budget, consider the Vive Pro 2 with the Valve Knuckle Controllers and Base Stations. How good the Vive Pro 2 is for you will depend a lot how it fits. So be prepared to return it.

Is the hardware the same hardware in your signature?
No I really need to update that. 5900X X570 meg ace 32Gigs @3800 6900XT and 2 sabrent gen4 nvme in raid0. I considered the 8KX but I don't want a divorce and it might be too much @120Hz. Ordered the 5K super will let you know in a couple weeks how it is.

Last edited:
No I really need to update that. 5900X X570 meg ace 32Gigs @3800 6900XT and 2 sabrent gen4 nvme in raid0. I considered the 8KX but I don't want a divorce and it might be too much @120Hz. Ordered the 5K super will let you know in a couple weeks how it is.

My LG 77" C1 arrived a few months ago and my wife had a cow.

My Varjo VR3 arrived last week and she had no idea its cost. She was like your oculus thing is here 😆

So the 5K super arrived and I've used it for a bit now and I fricken love the increased fov over my rift s. The sweet spot is not as big as I'd hoped but peripheral vision isn't really the focus of many games/sims I play anyway. Racing sims are vastly improved as I can see my side mirrors in every driving game so far and flight sims are greatly improved as well due to the extra periheral vision. Does require some tweaking settings to get the best experience but I knew that from reviews. Steam vr defaulted to render resoution of 65% and it was really blurry. Currently set at 160% and looking much better now but I'm still tweaking settings to find the best image quality the headset and my graphics card can produce. Overall very happy with it and still finding things to improve my experience. I'm just hoping for some cooler weather now so I can enjoy it more without soaking the pads with sweat.

My LG 77" C1 arrived a few months ago and my wife had a cow.

My Varjo VR3 arrived last week and she had no idea its cost. She was like your oculus thing is here 😆
Small box, small price right XD

Have you watched any movies on the Varjo? Just wondering what the experience is like.

Back