Philips Momentum 55' vs. LG CX

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well the CX is an OLED with "infinite" contrast and as many dimming zones as it has pixels, but it's not as bright. The Momentum monitor has no FALD so it's just 5000:1 VA contrast at best, though it gets up to 1000 nits maybe. The OLED is a bigger qualitative upgrade for you over your old display. The Momentum I would say is a bad value.

but it's not as bright.
I tend to play games in a fully lit room with a TV going with "Cheers" or some other sitcom in the background. Is the OLED bright enough for this?
Is there a burn in factor at all with the OLED? I am really wanting to get the CX, I have just never dealt with an OLED before.

I tend to play games in a fully lit room with a TV going with "Cheers" or some other sitcom in the background. Is the OLED bright enough for this?
Is there a burn in factor at all with the OLED? I am really wanting to get the CX, I have just never dealt with an OLED before.
Well the CX has ABL so on a bright white screen you will get a dimmer image than you are used to with an LCD. In typical viewing like movies or games it'll be about as bright or better than the one you had. It's plenty bright, it's just not 1000 nits like the new displays can do. The Philips is supposed to be 750 nits during regular use and 1200 nits in HDR so that's a lot better, but overall the picture won't be anything special compared to what you are coming from, just brighter-looking. If you ever want to turn off the lights and watch an HDR movie or play a game that has it properly set up the OLED will be a game-changer. I would only get the Philips for more money if you have a situation where the room has bright sunlight that you can't get rid of and you would never use it at night or in more controlled conditions and you want to view bright white webpages or applications all day long.

I would only get the Philips for more money if you have a situation where the room has bright sunlight that you can't get rid of and you would never use it at night or in more controlled conditions and you want to view bright white webpages or applications all day long.
but overall the picture won't be anything special compared to what you are coming from
Got it, thx for putting it into perspective coming from the WM. It has been a great monitor, time to move on to OLED.

I have not run into a display that uses PWM that doesn't give me ocular headaches after a short period of time. Why Samsung is adamant to continue using PWM dimming in this day and age is the real question.

Back