Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Can this monitor do 24Hz if connected to a normal Blu-ray player for 24fps movies?
I remember reading in the review at prad.de that it does 24p, but I have not tested so how it looks I can't say. Check the review - the people at prad.de really know their stuff (you may need to use google translate or similar on their site as it is in German).

Are there any solutions for converting HDMI limited color space (YCBCr) like the Wii U outputs to the full RGB color space the Philips BDM4065UC expects over HDMI ? Capture card is also an option as long as there isn't much added latency. I'm looking into a Blackmagic Intensity 4K if I can get one on the cheap.

Last edited:
At 100% brightness there will be no flickering anymore because the backlight will always be on. <100% and PWM will start to kick in.

So with 100% brightness and contrast at 20%, no PWM flickering ?

Contrast has nothing to do with PWM flicker.
Also I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone actually having PWM flickering issues. There are some which theorize about it, but it seems to be a non-issue for all but perhaps a few which are very sensitive to it.

I just bought this over the weekend at microcenter, and I am reading online that the AMH A409U is much better and it's about 200 less than what I paid. Anyone make the switch over?

I just bought this over the weekend at microcenter, and I am reading online that the AMH A409U is much better and it's about 200 less than what I paid. Anyone make the switch over?
I wonder where you get that the AMH A409U is "much better"?
I googled the AMH A409U found some people complaining about lag or just saying it was "good enough" and also a report that the brightness control was strange and altered colours as a sort simulate brightness control. After that I stopped reading. Make sure the reviews you read on anything are by trustworthy sites and not "reviews" that are followed by a link to buy as regretfully more and more are.

Best suggestion is to maybe read some real reviews or simply trust your eyes with the Philips. For sure there will be better monitors eventually, but to me it doesn't sound like the AMH A409U is one.

I wonder where you get that the AMH A409U is "much better"?
I googled the AMH A409U found some people complaining about lag or just saying it was "good enough" and also a report that the brightness control was strange and altered colours as a sort simulate brightness control. After that I stopped reading. Make sure the reviews you read on anything are by trustworthy sites and not "reviews" that are followed by a link to buy as regretfully more and more are.

Best suggestion is to maybe read some real reviews or simply trust your eyes with the Philips. For sure there will be better monitors eventually, but to me it doesn't sound like the AMH A409U is one.

There it's mentioned the color bleed is much worse on the phillips. Now, I am also reading that they use the same panel. So pretty confused.

There it's mentioned the color bleed is much worse on the phillips. Now, I am also reading that they use the same panel. So pretty confused.
Without using the AMH next to the Philips passing judgment is impossible, but on the colour bleed it is something that has been debated endlessly in this thread. My view on it is that using specific test images it can be made to look really bad, but I am yet to see it in real life usage and I do all sorts using the monitor. To put it short I am a happy camper and have had the Philips for well over a year now.
The video review you linked to I do not really know what to think about. I have a hard time taking it without a grain of salt given that in the description to the video they have included a link to buy the monitor - it has me thinking they seem pretty laid back about some of the issues they do bring up. But maybe that is just me. I am wondering about the brightness thing which elsewhere has been mentioned as it's brightness adjustment being a colour change rather than actual brightness adjustment. Also and that is more about the IPS vs. VA comments made it seems to me he totally forgot to mention that VS panels has a lot better contrast ration than IPS, so much better in fact that the black is really black with VA compared to IPS where black is dark grey.
Bottom line anyway is that neither of the 40" 4K monitors currently available are perfect, but you get a lot for your $ and once you go 40" 4K there is no going back.

I agree with that. I am still getting used to the panel. I may just buy the Korean one as well and give it a go. If it works out well, the Philips will go back if not then I guess I'll just have 2 40 inch monitors lol. Coming from an ultra wide the aspect ratio is gonna take some getting use to. I've tried it a bit for gaming so far and it seems okay.

Those that VESA arm mounted this with an downsized adapter (because this is 200m), how are your arms holding up long term? Have they lost a lot of tension/adjustability from the weight? One of my old arms got a lot of wear from a 34" ultrawide even though it was rated for it's weight, so I'm wary of doing the same with this

Those that VESA arm mounted this with an downsized adapter (because this is 200m), how are your arms holding up long term? Have they lost a lot of tension/adjustability from the weight? One of my old arms got a lot of wear from a 34" ultrawide even though it was rated for it's weight, so I'm wary of doing the same with this

Did yours use a spring or a gas shock? There are premium ones that maintain good tension, but they aren't cheap.

This thing is on a decent sale, almost pulled the trigger but then lack of adaptive sync gave me some pause as did the input lag and rectangle pixels :/ That and I noticed bestbuy's service plans only cover the same burnin as the manufacturer warranty which per the manual of this and the 43" is not at all, bah.

Did yours use a spring or a gas shock? There are premium ones that maintain good tension, but they aren't cheap.

I used this one (linking because idk why hardforum filters the brand name)
Amazon.com: Ergotech Dual 320 Series Articulating LCD Monitor Arm: Office Products

The worst part of using a 34" on it was the ball joint at the VESA bracket - it was pretty much shot and sagging downwards a lot after a few months, despite claiming to be rated to the weight of an 34UM95 (I checked the manufacturer specs on max weight)

I would like to get a free float arm that I can swing out whenever I lie down on my bed, then swing back to the desk when I'm done, but the worn out joint from doing it with the UM95 made me just stop messing with it and used it as a static position arm.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For those interested, I've tried to connect my shield TV via the Club3D CAC-1170 mini-DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter to my Philips BDM4065UC and it simply doesn't work at all. I get no signal to my display.

For those interested, I've tried to connect my shield TV via the Club3D CAC-1170 mini-DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter to my Philips BDM4065UC and it simply doesn't work at all. I get no signal to my display.
To be expected I guess, but good info non the less. Thx.

I predict that in due course I shall be running into a "problem" with the Philips. For years I have been in the habit to running two or three monitors and the procedure has almost always been one of replacing the oldest with the new wonder. Since April lat year the setup has been the Philips and a 27" and on very special occasions ie. the Le Mans weekend a 24" 16:10, somehow I cannot imagine eventually fitting a new wonder and the Philips on the same desk :)

My monitor keeps losing signal over mini DP 1.2. I can have it working on average 30 minutes before it will lose signal, in which case I need to power toggle it, or pull out the power cable if that doesn't work. Anyone facing similar issues?
Not sure if it is the monitor, cable or my computer.

I have already bought 2 DP cables, but the second is not working with 1.2, and I really do not want to spend a lot of money trying out different cables hoping they will work.. Which cables do you guys have, any recommendations?

Last edited:
My monitor keeps losing signal over mini DP 1.2. I can have it working on average 30 minutes before it will lose signal, in which case I need to power toggle it, or pull out the power cable if that doesn't work. Anyone facing similar issues?

I have already bought 2 DP cables, but the second is not working with 1.2, and I really do not want to spend a lot of money trying out different cables hoping they will work.. Which cables do you guys have, any recommendations?
As I recall other people have reported issues where the cable turned out to be the cause. I also think people might have posted links to cables which they have a good experience with, but it may also something I have read elsewhere.
I have not had any issues, but I can't say for sure where my cable is from - I think it came with a graphics card in which case that just means it was an AMD one so no real help I guess.
If I were to buy a new cable I would go on a seller that has loads of people reporting their experience with the exact cable I wanted rather than say looking for the most expensive(with digital cables it is often the case that cheap is just as good as expensive). One such place could be Amazon where I did a quick check and you may find this link helpful:
Amazon.com: mini dp 1.2

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I've had good luck with the monoprice displayport cables with this monitor

Might be a long shot, but has anyone got this working 4k@60Hz on a late 2013 iMac 27"?

According to Apple's documentation it should work, I've tried various cables with no success. With that said, the iMac has a thunderbolt 1 which has a max bandwidth of 10Gbps. It's much less than what DP1.2 required. I somehow felt that it's mis-information from Apple's end.

This is their article: Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a long shot, but has anyone got this working 4k@60Hz on a late 2013 iMac 27"?

According to Apple's documentation it should work, I've tried various cables with no success. With that said, the iMac has a thunderbolt 1 which has a max bandwidth of 10Gbps. It's much less than what DP1.2 required. I somehow felt that it's mis-information from Apple's end.

This is their article: Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

I haven't owned a Mac for years, but the whole thing with Thunderbolt is something I have been following a bit.

You're spot on with the Thunderbolt 1 not offering enough bandwidth for DP 1.2. My guess is that Apple either simplified their article a bit or, which I can't help thinking is more likely, they don't care about their old machines. Either way you're out of luck.

I did a bit of searching and this article confirms what you suspected: 4K and 5K Display Buyer's Guide for Macs

Hi Guys,

Does this monitor display nicely with the xbox one S or ps4 pro?

I will need to use the HDMI port as the consoles do not have displayport. HDMI 1.4 only have 4k@30hz.

Now I don't mind playing it at 1080P, does 1080P display nicely on this monitor? Anyone here hooked up their console to it?

Will the philips upscale or should I get the Xbox to upscale. Sorry am new to this upscaling thing.

I have the philips BDM4065UC.

Thanks,
K.

Hi Guys,

Does this monitor display nicely with the xbox one S or ps4 pro?

I will need to use the HDMI port as the consoles do not have displayport. HDMI 1.4 only have 4k@30hz.

Now I don't mind playing it at 1080P, does 1080P display nicely on this monitor? Anyone here hooked up their console to it?

Will the philips upscale or should I get the Xbox to upscale. Sorry am new to this upscaling thing.
Pushing 4K through HDMI which isn't 2.0 won't be nice as the frame rate will be only 30Hz, but as for 1080p I'd say the Philips does it nicely. Once in a while I use mine with a PS3 and everything is good - both games and movies.

On the upscaling I find the Philips to do just fine, but I would still give the Xbox a shoot just to check what works the best.

Thanks. What do I need to do, to make the xbox one S upscale instead of my philips monitor? And also the reverse.

Has anyone coming from this monitor moved to one of the newer curved 4k Tv's 40-43" and been happy?

anyone has this problem before?
not sure how to explain this but it seems like a curve black area invaded my screen area.
I just realize this, after 1 year of usage.
(maybe it was there before but not obvious, now it grew bigger)

Attachments

• 20161230_111301.jpg
    20161230_111301.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
So ... not VA.................
Are there any comparable VA GLOSSY monitors? :(

None that I can recall at the moment, aside from 4K TVs (Samsung, Sony, etc.) or possibly some 4K monitors from the Korean manufacturers such as Crossover, Wasabi Mango, AMH, etc.

Seiki put out a comparable product to the Philips but they aren't glossy AFAIK.

4K + VA + glossy is going to limit your choices. I've been using a Samsung 4K (VA, glossy) TV as my monitor for the past year and a half and have been very happy with it, but there are some compromises (no DisplayPort, can't have the best possible picture with the least possible input lag). I'm hoping it'll suffice until either a good 120 Hz 40" 4K comes out, or I make the transition to OLED.

None that I can recall at the moment, aside from 4K TVs (Samsung, Sony, etc.) or possibly some 4K monitors from the Korean manufacturers such as Crossover, Wasabi Mango, AMH, etc.

Seiki put out a comparable product to the Philips but they aren't glossy AFAIK.

4K + VA + glossy is going to limit your choices. I've been using a Samsung 4K (VA, glossy) TV as my monitor for the past year and a half and have been very happy with it, but there are some compromises (no DisplayPort, can't have the best possible picture with the least possible input lag). I'm hoping it'll suffice until either a good 120 Hz 40" 4K comes out, or I make the transition to OLED.

why do all the good monitors keep getting discontinued and replaced with (relative) crap?...........

I had both phillips 43 and 40 and the Samsung 629 or 6300 that I have now is way better and much cheaper to add.

I have been using this for 2 yr. now. The only thing I'm annoyed is when you turn it on, it takes 5 sec. or more for the screen to display windows. It shows garbage in that 5 sec. though. Is there a screen better, is the 43" better?

For those interested in getting one of these. I recently (read today) had mine replaced by Philips as my mrs managed to jam the wrong cable in the wrong port. They couriers one of and took my old one so I've essentially got one of these brand new if anyone's interested. Looking for £500. Based in the liverpool area. Feel free to hit me up if here's any interest and can arrange images etc for you.

Back