Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Well, I ended up ordering this monitor yesterday when it was on sale for $699 from Amazon. With tax it came out a little over $750 with prime shipping... Too good to pass up. Should be here tomorrow. =D

*Got the monitor in today. Some initial shock moving down from 43" to 40", but, this size will work out much better in the end. It's also clear that it's meant for closer range viewing.

So far every thing is looking good. Still have to calibrate it though. Did like the stand on the TV a lot better, but, can't win them all.

Last edited:
Just picked this up at MicroCenter who priced matched Amazon @ $699. Ok got it hooked up at 4k 60hz, what's the best settings everyone's running for the deepest AMOLED like color ?

Philips BDM4065UC Review

Found this, but looks a bit dim, but also the stock 100 brightness is blinding, with this monitor being in my basement with no windows around.

Just picked this up at MicroCenter who priced matched Amazon @ $699. Ok got it hooked up at 4k 60hz, what's the best settings everyone's running for the deepest AMOLED like color ?

Philips BDM4065UC Review

Found this, but looks a bit dim, but also the stock 100 brightness is blinding, with this monitor being in my basement with no windows around.

I used this sites settings. I adjust between 52 - 72 brightness depending.

Philips BDM4065UC Review - PC Monitors

Should be able to play around with the brightness and set it for what's good in your viewing area.

Took a couple of real life pics, sitting back in the chair, of some game playing, I'm no photographer, these are just some quick snapshots;

Last edited:
Guys,

can you see with some particular wallpapers probles with color "artifacts" ?
_VA_art
there is also the wallpaper included as well, you should see artifacts from the photos "under the car", in the bottom right corner and actually after closer examination almost in any darker area of the shot.

It is so strange, I thought it is because od 8-bit panel, but thinking about it now ( I had Dell P2414H with 6+2bit RFC and I did not have any of these)...is ist possible, our philips monitors are no longer full 8-bit panels, but 6+2 RFC and RFC with mine is broken ?

So that site recommends these settings;

Brightness= 72 (according to preferences and lighting)

SmartResponse= Off

Gamma= 2.4

Color= User Define

R= 100

G= 95

B= 77

DisplayPort= 1.2

But for me being in my office Basement, with a window far away, in another room, it's naturally dark in this office, so I am going with 52 brightness. What other settings should I be aware of to change ?

personally my settings are:
Brightness: 40
Cont and Sharp: 50
Gamma: 2.2
Smart Response = Off
Colors: set to 6500k mode - personally I am not a fan of reddish/yellowish white

other recommended are
SmartContrast - Off
Pixel Orbiting: On

Personally if I would have a chance to reconsider my investment, I would more like to go with a
ProLite X4071UHSU-B1
which here, in the EU is even about a few dozens of euros cheaper, but it has PWM on higher frequency and it should be immune to the philips panel's defects (as it is not made by TP-Vision/Philips)

I was starting to think the PWM was straining my eyes. Tested out a few things and realized the height of the monitor is straining my eyes. Not the PWM. I've got a triple monitor mount in storage that I'm going to remove the side arms from and mount this to the middle. I'm thinking taking it down 2" or so should make this screen much easier on the eyes.

Not sure what's up with the Pixel Orbiting. Shouldn't be needed on such a display. Must be a left over from a plasma OSD. You'd have to try to cause burn-in on an LCD type display. I've disabled Pixel Orbiting to no ill effect.

personally my settings are:
Brightness: 40
Cont and Sharp: 50
Gamma: 2.2
Smart Response = Off
Colors: set to 6500k mode - personally I am not a fan of reddish/yellowish white

other recommended are
SmartContrast - Off
Pixel Orbiting: On

Personally if I would have a chance to reconsider my investment, I would more like to go with a
ProLite X4071UHSU-B1
which here, in the EU is even about a few dozens of euros cheaper, but it has PWM on higher frequency and it should be immune to the philips panel's defects (as it is not made by TP-Vision/Philips)

Are these good settings for gaming too ?

I tried these out, I like the desktop look with these settings, not so blinding and has neutral tones. Let's load up a game and see.

Last edited:
Pixel orbiting is not mandatory, I have just read it before I bought it, it should be useful...just for any case...

And speaking of the settings...yes, there is not a lot, what should change the gaming, except the Smart Response of course, but...Smart Response is bad, it is not bringing anything into the game, only announcing the ghosting and not doing anything about an input lag and therefore it is useless.

Zorachus, would you mind looking on the post I have posted before about strange color transition artifacts ?
Guys,

can you see with some particular wallpapers probles with color "artifacts" ?
_VA_art
there is also the wallpaper included as well, you should see artifacts from the photos "under the car", in the bottom right corner and actually after closer examination almost in any darker area of the shot.

It is so strange, I thought it is because od 8-bit panel, but thinking about it now ( I had Dell P2414H with 6+2bit RFC and I did not have any of these)...is ist possible, our philips monitors are no longer full 8-bit panels, but 6+2 RFC and RFC with mine is broken ?

I will be returning mine. I got it from Amazon (US) for the regular price to replace my ACD27 LED. Hooked it up to by GTX670, set to displayport 1.2, proceeded to disable just about everything I could, and then calibrated using a Spyder4Pro. I am returning the Philips for two reasons: First, it was giving me headaches. Secondly, I had a hard time justifying spending this much on a monitor that had the color banding issues and this weird pattern which would show up when scrolling windows. The color issues were minor, to be honest, but at $750, I expected more. I wanted to like the Philips...but could not live with it as a daily driver.

From what I can gather the ACD is flicker-free, and the Philips is not. I do not game much if at all, but I do a fair amount of CAD work and photo editing. I did put starcraft 2 on for 10 minutes and the 670 could run the game at ULTRA settings at full resolution at about 60 FPS. This was using a single 670...so must not be a graphics heavy game if my setup could run it at 3840x2160.

Here is my quick comparison:
  • Image Quality - Apple wins: The colors on the ACD are richer and more vibrant. Not saying the Philips looked bad, because it did not...but it was not up to par with the ACD
  • Screen real-estate: Philips wins...by a long shot! The ACD feels crampt.
  • Sound quality - Apple wins: Most wont use the built in speakers, I get it, but with the ACD, you do not NEED external speakers...the Philips sounds pretty anemic compared to the ACD
  • Stands: Apple wins: ACD has tilt...Philips has nothing. I know you can get a VESA mount...so take this one with a grain of salt
  • USB hub: Both suck: They are both on the back where you cannot see them. I plug my wireless mouse receiver in to ACD. On the Philips, you have to run another unsightly cable to power up the hub...lame
  • Cable management: Despite teh single input for the apple, its cable management is light years better than the Philips with cords coming out from all over ( I guess if you have this against a wall, its no big deal...but mine is not against a wall)
  • Glossy Screens: Apple is glass, Philips is not. I like the glass
  • Built in mic and camera...it is rare that I use them, but the few times that I have used them, they have been invaluable.

If you're getting headaches you might want to do like I did and test out only using the bottom 3/4 of the screen. I noticed that it wasn't the PWM causing my eyestrain, but, looking up at the screen. I've got a 200mm to 100mm vesa mount converter coming in and will be mounting mine to lower it as far down as possible. I'll make sure to post what affect lowering the screen has. Can say that since I've adjusted the way I'm using the monitor for now I'm no longer finding it difficult to work with.

Last edited:
My one little beef, is how the monitor sits in the stand, with the top leaning back. My other Dell monitors, had the great operations to tilt all over, and I typically liked to tilt mine with top closer towards me, and the bottom pushed back, whereas this monitor is the opposite.

And I always like my monitors raised off the desk a little higher, maybe 3" to 4",so the bottom of the display isn't way down almost on the desk, I like it a bit higher, but raising this will make that top tilt more extreme, is there a way to tilt that top towards me more ? Or put little shims on the back legs to help tilt it towards me ?

If you're getting headaches you might want to do like I did and test out only using the bottom 3/4 of the screen. I noticed that it wasn't the PWM causing my eyestrain, but, looking up at the screen. I've got a 200mm to 100mm vesa mount converter coming in and will be mounting mine to lower it as far down as possible. I'll make sure to post what affect lowering the screen has. Can say that since I've adjusted the way I'm using the monitor for now I'm no longer finding it difficult to work with.

Thanks for this. I had my eyeballs just about centered on the screen. It was weird, within 5 minutes I could feel something wasn't right. Regardless, monitor has been shipped back already.

I am assuming the color banding issues were acceptable to you? They were so subtle to me.

Good luck with your experience.

My one little beef, is how the monitor sits in the stand, with the top leaning back. My other Dell monitors, had the great operations to tilt all over, and I typically liked to tilt mine with top closer towards me, and the bottom pushed back, whereas this monitor is the opposite.

And I always like my monitors raised off the desk a little higher, maybe 3" to 4",so the bottom of the display isn't way down almost on the desk, I like it a bit higher, but raising this will make that top tilt more extreme, is there a way to tilt that top towards me more ? Or put little shims on the back legs to help tilt it towards me ?

Get a crescent wrench, no teeth, and give the stand a little twist. It will bend. Or, give the mounting plate, the part that goes between the monitor and the stand a slight bend

Thanks for this. I had my eyeballs just about centered on the screen. It was weird, within 5 minutes I could feel something wasn't right. Regardless, monitor has been shipped back already.

I am assuming the color banding issues were acceptable to you? They were so subtle to me.

Good luck with your experience.

Too bad. Would of been interesting to see if changing your viewing angle would affect how the monitor made your eyes feel. Even if just to test out before ship out. Might of needed to bring your eyes down more to where they feel rested.

The color banding was annoying when I first noticed it. Seems to be more of a problem at higher brightness settings. Least during my usage. Doesn't bother me as much as the light bleed/IPS glow my XB270HU suffers from.

Thanks. Should have this sucker mounted and lowered in a few days. Will see how that goes.

Get a crescent wrench, no teeth, and give the stand a little twist. It will bend. Or, give the mounting plate, the part that goes between the monitor and the stand a slight bend

Tried the wrench thing, and the mounting plate was rock solid stiff, I was afraid putting some muscle on it would damage it. So I came up with a different idea. I put two nickels between the plate and the stand itself, just on the rear part of the plate, and that helped tilt the monitor more straight, and slightly towards me like I wanted.

Tried the wrench thing, and the mounting plate was rock solid stiff, I was afraid putting some muscle on it would damage it. So I came up with a different idea. I put two nickels between the plate and the stand itself, just on the rear part of the plate, and that helped tilt the monitor more straight, and slightly towards me like I wanted.

That monitor is up there! Where do your eyes land when looking at it?

That monitor is up there! Where do your eyes land when looking at it?

It is a bit too high, I will lower it tonight a bit. Right now my eyes land in the bottom 1/3rd, or closer to middle of screen.

I have it on 5 blocks, I will take out 3 and just keep it two blocks high. But I do feel just leaving it directly on the desk with no blocks, is not good for me.

It is a bit too high, I will lower it tonight a bit. Right now my eyes land in the bottom 1/3rd, or closer to middle of screen.

I have it on 5 blocks, I will take out 3 and just keep it two blocks high. But I do feel just leaving it directly on the desk with no blocks, is not good for me.
I don't how tall you are, but be careful having the top of the monitor much higher than you eye level. If you find yourself tilting your head back when viewing the top of the monitor then consider putting it closer to the desk - else you may run into issues with your neck in the long run.

Loaded up Skyrim, and my God it looks jaw dropping on this huge high res display

btw (incase you haven't found the fix yet), that "Level Up" text is a skyrim engine bug on 4K and higher resolutions. The mod Less Intrusive HUD I believe will remove it

Yes finally something this size with a superior panel!!

Philips BDM4350UC 43 inch '4K' UHD IPS monitor - PC Monitors

IPS aren't superior to VA. Least not if you're the least bit concerned about contrast and using darker content. The reason I bought this monitor is because it's VA and not IPS. Had it been IPS I wouldn't of bothered with it.

One spot however where that new 43" shines is no PWM... Too bad it's wasted on a IPS though.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My Setup =D

900x900px-LL-12be650b_100_2890.jpeg

Last edited:
IPS aren't superior to VA. Least not if you're the least bit concerned about contrast and using darker content. The reason I bought this monitor is because it's VA and not IPS. Had it been IPS I wouldn't of bothered with it.

One spot however where that new 43" shines is no PWM... Too bad it's wasted on a IPS though.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well I guess they both have pros and cons and it would come down to personal preference. Yes I do love the blacks and contrats the current 40" Philips has, but then I do miss the more vivid and fidelity of colours from quality IPS panels. So I will definatly be jumping to the new one when it is available.

Wish they made one with g-sync though.

Well I guess they both have pros and cons and it would come down to personal preference. Yes I do love the blacks and contrats the current 40" Philips has, but then I do miss the more vivid and fidelity of colours from quality IPS panels. So I will definatly be jumping to the new one when it is available.

Wish they made one with g-sync though.

Yep. No perfect display type.

They have that 32" 4k IPS Gsync.

Acer Predator XB321HK 32” IPS NVIDIA G-sync Gaming Monitor Black 32” 4K UHD 60Hz HDMI DisplayPort - Newegg.com

If I were into IPS I'd of bought that one. I just never have been happy with an IPS display. The price is steep, but, it should be one hell of a gaming monitor.

Just got one via microcenter to replace my 3 screen nvsurround. I'm on a geforce 970, and had been running 3x1600x1200 10+ year old samsungs and/or a 1440p iMac in target display mode.

This is a really nice screen. I looked for the color banding, and I had to really try to be able to notice it, even in Photoshop. I have the white point set to 5000, and 2.4 gamma right now, maybe that's why. I will probably get a colormunki in a month or so and calibrate it. I can't trust my own color vision well enough to eyeball it.

I love the not quite as glossy as the apple display finish. It's way better than the grainy matte I see daily on the dell 2412m screens on my desk at work. It is not as reflective as the apple screen. I use it in a basement office, so no glare. I did notice pretty bad glow all around the corners of the iMac, which I assume is IPS glow. And the old samsungs are... mushy. That's the best way I can describe them. This Philips display is great. No glow around the edges or corners. No blur when I'm moving around. No color artifacts or banding that I can see. Sharp and clear text. Dpi is about perfect for me, pretty close to the other screens I have mentioned. I have used a 5k 27" iMac and that dpi is too high for native res, and I hate to waste space on scaling. I run with this at a little less than arms length away, and it fills my field of vision, just like the surround setup did.

As for games, I'm used to 3600x1600 or 4800x1200. I had it down to a 4k or a 21:9 3440x1440, and I'm glad I went with the 4k. I have 16:9 if I need it (for Starcraft) it. But for most gaming so far I am letterboxing myself via a custom resolution giving me 3840x1600, which is roughly 21:9. That has played with everything cranked on Path of Exile, Dying Light, Lord of the Rings Online, and 7 Days to Die with no change on fps over my 3 screen surround. It gives me the best of both.

I was considering the Samsung TVs, until I saw MC had this. I wanted to buy brick&mortar in case there were issues with dead pixels or whatever. They price matched amazon for me as well.

I also like the picture by picture, and having all those "normal" monitor inputs, so I can have 2-4 full size screens up if I'm doing real work.

Last edited:
Here is a better pic of my 5 monitor setup bottom is the 3 40s and top is 2 benQ 32 inch 1440 monitors

That setup looks absolutely nuts - congrats. :)

I have a 2x U2412M + 1x U3415W at home, on Ergotech stand, with Lightpack. I'm absolutely loving the 34" for programming with Visual Studio 2015, which gives me room for Ncrunch, solution explorer and two reasonably sized editing windows and what not.

I and would like to get one for work where I just have some very average Dell 23" or 24" 1080s . However the pricing of the 34"s is a bit high, was thinking maybe get the X34 and rotate the Dell to work. But ... AU$1800 for the Acer, and maybe Dell will bring out an OLED 34" in a year or so?

Thus, have started looking at the Philips for work instead - it's only AU$1050. I like to sit quite close to the screen; the only thing I would really care about is the sharpness of the text rendering.

Do anyone else use Visual Studio or something similar, and care to comment on how it works on an UHD display? (I guess I could fire it up on my flat Samsung 65" 4k series 8, but fear it's a completely moot exercise)

Thanks!

EDIT: I ended up getting the Predator X34 for the home office, moving the Dell to the work office.

Last edited:
The one big thing I do not like about this monitor is the non-adjustable stand. It sits too high for how large the display is and looks out of place. It's more of a TV stand than a monitor stand.

I took the adjustable stand from my DoubleSight DS-307W off and put it on my Philips BDM4065UC with a 100mm x 100mm to 200mm x 200mm adapter plate. Got it sitting much lower now and it's very stable. It's much better when gaming. I can now lean back in my Steelcase Leap and be at level eyesight.

pdpzXsa.jpg

The one big thing I do not like about this monitor is the non-adjustable stand. It sits too high for how large the display is and looks out of place. It's more of a TV stand than a monitor stand.

I took the adjustable stand from my DoubleSight DS-307W off and put it on my Philips BDM4065UC with a 100mm x 100mm to 200mm x 200mm adapter plate. Got it sitting much lower now and it's very stable. It's much better when gaming. I can now lean back in my Steelcase Leap and be at level eyesight.

One could say the standard stand is perfect and that your desk is wrong :sneaky:

Nice setup you've got only I would miss desk space. When I ordered mine I was expecting that I would switch the stand for a monitor arm to let me lower the monitor so it would touch the desk, but I have found that the stand is perfect. This is of course with a normal flat desk and with me being 184 cm also matters since ones eye level relative to the desk depends on height and build.

In general I think the best advice is to buy the monitor and see. Then if needed there are loads of stands, wall mounts and also monitor arms one can use since the monitor uses a standard VESA mount.

I don't really understand why people feel the need for a VESA arm for this monitor - and this is coming from someone who VESA armed EVERYTHING up to this point (and now I'm leftover with 3 extra VESA arms being unused)

Yes, it seemed too high to me at first as well, then you look at something at the top of the monitor and you realize you're craning your neck upwards the same amount. The monitor is just simply BIG. It's both a long way to the bottom of the monitor as well as a long way to the top.

The stand is slim and "free-float" looking enough that I feel no need to get a VESA arm for aesthetics either. Get some micro USB cables for the USB hub and run the cable to the stand area - now you have a little cubby spot to charge/connect your phone when you're at the computer. Run an LED strip there too if you want too

I suggest anyone/everyone give the stand more time before thinking they need one imo

I've had this monitor for a month now, and I am very comfortable and extremely satisfied with it. I'm not a huge gamer as much, but the games I do play look jaw dropping awesome, and really give you that immersion. Skyrim looks frigging great.

And for surfing the web, can have so many pages open, and see a ton. I could never go back to something smaller, this size feels right

Can this monitor be hooked up to a UHD Blu-ray player? I read some nonsense about some bs called HDCP 2.2 that may not make this possible.

I really want this monitor, but if it can't double up as a screen to watch UHD Blu-rays on then that may be a huge deal breaker.

Last edited:
Can this monitor be hooked up to a UHD Blu-ray player? I read some nonsense about some bs called HDCP 2.2 that may not make this possible.

I really want this monitor, but if it can't double up as a screen to watch UHD Blu-rays on then that may be a huge deal breaker.
There seems to be little info to be found on the subject as it is really early days for UHD Blu Ray. I googled and found one list of monitors/TV's supposedly confirmed to have or confirmed to not havde HDCP 2.2 and on that list the Philips was on the confirmed to have not. Question is of course if that list is correct.

Here is the list: Spurs and stuff: A List of Ultra HD (4k) Monitors with HDCP 2.2

Last edited:
There seems to be little info to be found on the subject as it is really early days for UHD Blu Ray. I googled and found one list of monitors/TV's supposedly confirmed to have or confirmed to not havde HDCP 2.2 and on that list the Philips was on the confirmed to have not. Question is of course in that list is correct.

Here is the list: Spurs and stuff: A List of Ultra HD (4k) Monitors with HDCP 2.2
Ah thanks. Well that is a shame. Maybe I'll just wait for a 40"+ 4K 120Hz VA monitor that will have it :(

Best buy had one of these one display and wow, it's a beauty. He said they hadn't noticed any particular reports or influx of returns due to ghosting issues or the like but their extra warranty would cover it even if it did occur.

Only downside I noticed was what seemed to be ghosting when moving windows around on the screen, not sure if that's the in store settings or what.

Best buy had one of these one display and wow, it's a beauty. He said they hadn't noticed any particular reports or influx of returns due to ghosting issues or the like but their extra warranty would cover it even if it did occur.

Only downside I noticed was what seemed to be ghosting when moving windows around on the screen, not sure if that's the in store settings or what.
I have had mine for more than a year now enjoy it a lot and I am pretty sure you will as well :)

Now on the ghosthing thing. With specific gray patterns one can make the issue visible, but I am yet to see it otherwise so I think it is a non-issue (And I am rather picky about monitors and always have been).

On what you saw in the store I would guess they failed to set the monitor into DisplayPort 1.2 mode which would mean it ran in 1.1 mode and that again means 30Hz refresh rate which causes ghosting. Not sure why, but it seems to be normal that DisplayPort 1.1 is the default setting for not only the Philips but most if not all other monitors. My best guess is that perhaps if someone has a graphics card limited to DisplayPort 1.1 then it doesn't work with a monitor in 1.2 mode. Anyway the bottom line is that when you get the monitor remember to enable DisplayPort 1.2.

Back