Philips BDM4065UC - 40" 4K 60Hz monitor thread

Looks like my dream of making a 4k arcade cabinet for MK X might actually be feasible. Already have the arcade sticks, now I just need one of these monitors and something like this.

Firepc said:
What do you mean "use it as a PC monitor"? It is a PC monitor.
Ouch. Somehow missed first 4K monitor >32" release then and auto-assumed that it's UHD TV.

If it has a similar dpi like the 27" 1440p monitors you'd sit just as close, but 40" might require a bit more distance to take it all in.

Sounds really nice on paper, especially the 5000:1 static contrast and decent (for VA) response times. Hopefully someone will review this soon. There's a lot of promising monitor tech coming and I'm looking to replace my old U2713hm+2xGW2760HS setup. I guess I'm waiting for Freesync and cheaper G-Sync monitors, but this and the coming Samsung curved 34" VA sound really tempting.

Ouch. Somehow missed first 4K monitor >32" release then and auto-assumed that it's UHD TV.

Yeah I don't blame you. 40" is more of a TV size. Personally love my VA panels and I really want to see this one in person. :)

Yeah I don't blame you. 40" is more of a TV size. Personally love my VA panels and I really want to see this one in person. :)

How is the colors on your VA panel, much better then TN?
There is much backlight bleeding?

I've owned 2 VA televisions (one Samsung and one LG), and I never noticed any backlight bleed when calibrated. Colors are much better than any TN monitor I have ever owned, probably due to the high contrast making them pop more naturally at 6500K. Viewing angles are better, but not as good as IPS. Only negative on a VA I can think of is off-centre contrast shift, and it's pretty much different depending on the display. The S-PVA panel in my Samsung, for example, gets darker kind of like a black fog when viewing from off-angles. It is certainly not as distracting as the gamma shift with TN panels. Response times are comparable, maybe slightly worse, than an IPS.

You will have to wait for a while..
But there is already Panasonic UHD TV's at 50" and 58" which has displayport.
A friend of mine bought the 50", but I can't afford to pay 1500€ for a 4k TV.
I'll wait for cheaper screens, or perhaps buy it from him next year for half the price. :D

How much are they, because I think I'd prefer a 50"
1500€, give or take.

Do you all think that a 780GTX 6gb would be enough to power this monitor at native res and 60hz?

Do you all think that a 780GTX 6gb would be enough to power this monitor at native res and 60hz?

To game with? Yeah, just turn down the settings.
If you want to play with "slightly" higher settings, and still maintain 60fps, get 970/980 SLI.

DEFINITELY looking forward to this, could well be 'the one' I've been waiting for,

Currently I'm using a Sony 40" TV as my 'monitor', which is a great size for immersive gameplay. Even with the best AA though, the pixels can easily be seen. 4K at 40" is gunna be awesome. I sit about 3 feet away. Some of my friends call me crazy, but unless my field of vision is properly filled, I just don't get a decent level of immersion.

All the games I play run at 4K easily via downsampling/dsr on my hilariously overclocked 780ti, so I'm not concerned with performance.

Bottom line: If the input lag on this thing is at least sub 16ms, then I'm buying one, no questions. :cool:

Last edited:
I wonder if this will be available in USA for xmas. The specs are tempting [need reviews though].

DEFINITELY looking forward to this, could well be 'the one' I've been waiting for,Currently I'm using a Sony 40" TV as my 'monitor', which is a great size for immersive gameplay. Even with the best AA though, the pixels can easily be seen. 4K at 40" is gunna be awesome. I sit about 3 feet away. Some of my friends call me crazy, but unless my field of vision is properly filled, I just don't get a decent level of immersion.All the games I play run at 4K easily via downsampling/dsr on my hilariously overclocked 780ti, so I'm not concerned with performance.
Bottom line: If the input lag on this thing is at least sub 16ms, then I'm buying one, no questions. :cool:

Do you intend to sit closer when you get 40"@4K?

Input lag is way below 16ms on this monitor according to specs.

Do you intend to sit closer when you get 40"@4K?

Input lag is way below 16ms on this monitor according to specs.

According to the spec sheet linked in the first post, they only list panel response times, but make no mention of input latency. Have you found additional information elsewhere?

This product is relevant to my interests. Currently using a Seiki 39" but getting kinda tired of all the minor irritations. If this hits at <$1000 I'm gonna be all over it.

According to the spec sheet linked in the first post, they only list panel response times, but make no mention of input latency. Have you found additional information elsewhere?

Sorry, not. There is no reason why input lag should be high, this is genuine monitor not TV.

Sorry, not. There is no reason why input lag should be high, this is genuine monitor not TV.

Have you ever owned a high-res monitor? 2560x1600?
Almost all of them have high input lag, only the 3007WFP-HC had low input lag.

For me I'll use this monitor for work and singleplayer games, while a ROG Swift will be for online gaming.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see in regards to input lag. It really depends on how Philips intended to market the screen at conception.

Input lag is a function of image processing power and/or circuit board design that allows bypassing of latent functionality. If this wasn't a consideration at the earliest stages of design, then it'll necessarily be a problem as I'd imagine input latency is difficult to 'fix' at the later stages of development.

Historically, all of the recent 4K large screen monitors I've read about in the last year or so have been 'aimed' at 'photo' people and have high input lag as a result. I suspect that this is more due to the fact that processing a 4K image takes a hell of alot of processing power, and the chips to get the job done probably aren't cheap, or readily available, and so manufacturers don't worry about it (gamers are a small minority in the higher end of the panels market) and produce laggy, albeit nice looking, monitors.

I doubt that those 24-28" 4K monitors with _TN_ panels were aimed at 'photo people' :)
Imho they were simply aimed at early adopters willing to give up everything for '4K-ishness' and to ones, who are easily impacted by marketing slogans. Retina! Uber high dpi! No individual pixels! Cheapest ever 4K!
EDIT
Hmm, i seem missed 'large' bit in your post. Of course those 31.5" were targeted differently .. but then again just 31.5" is not large for 4K in my eyes. Rather 'not as bad as 24-28"'. For 4K i see 40-50" as 'normal', and only above that as 'large'.

Last edited:
I was watching a video about the Seiki 39 UHD TV as PC monitor and in one vid the guy said the text is small and it also looked like icons are smaller too.

If a 40" UHD has similar PPI as 27" 1440p then text and icons will appear same size as that or will they really be smaller?

Have you ever owned a high-res monitor? 2560x1600? Almost all of them have high input lag, only the 3007WFP-HC had low input lag. For me I'll use this monitor for work and singleplayer games, while a ROG Swift will be for online gaming.

I have Samsung 27"@2560x1440 but the point is what ones qualify as 'high' input lag. My reference was to 4K TVs which ppl use for gaming now and I said the 40" monitor will have much lower lag. If your reference is ROG Swift then indeed these monitors have high input lag, just suitable for single player games heh.

Yes people, do not expect wonders, $700 40" 4K monitor is not Swift :D.

If a 40" UHD has similar PPI as 27" 1440p then text and icons will appear same size as that or will they really be smaller?
Since both size 40":27" and number of pixels 3840x2160 : 2560x1440 scale in proportion 3:2, resolution in terms od dpi is the same for both and the 40" inch picture will look the same as in the 27", just the overall area is bigger. With proper scaling of text and icons I have no problems on my 27".

Last edited:
I see that the driver for this monitor is from 08/06/2014.

And it contains 2 modes:

Code:
[08E1_Analog.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1920,1080",Mode1,,"30.0-99.0,56.0-80.0,+,+"
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1920,1080"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"BDM4065.icm"

Code:
[08E1_Digital.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\3840,2160",Mode1,,"30.0-99.0,23.0-80.0,+,+"
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"3840,2160"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"BDM4065.icm"

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdm4065uc_11/bdm4065uc_11_dw8_aen.zip

I also noticed that the fact sheet for BDM4065UC/00 is from 2014-08-13 while the one for BDM4065UC/11 is from 2014-10-27.

http://www.docdroid.net/jfd4/bdm4065uc-00.pdf.html

Still not sure what /00 is and why the stores has not changed to /11 if that will be the model name in EU.

Btw, it will def ship at 12/12/14. I asked a store today and they said they got that date confirmed, also another store which had previously written 07/01/2015 has also changed to 12/12. :D

Last edited:
Have you ever owned a high-res monitor? 2560x1600?
Almost all of them have high input lag, only the 3007WFP-HC had low input lag.

For me I'll use this monitor for work and singleplayer games, while a ROG Swift will be for online gaming.
What's encouraging, is that the monitor has a game mode. Hopefully, this mode has low input lag. Game modes often have.

how far away from it do you have to sit for it to be comfy? I want one too

I'd say that 4:4:4 image format also must be tested/proven to work fine if one intends to use it as pc monitor. Otherwise what can be gained from 4K-ishness, if it wouldn't display clear text without soaping up due compression. PC monitors are not used just for watching movies. I wouldn't bother/consider to buy it prior extensive test/review.

This monitor shouldn't have any chroma problems, it uses DP 1.2 instead of HDMI 2.0 for it's 4K@60 Hz.

How in hell is this monitor so cheap(going by over seas pricing) at 1k? Something has to be up, maybe its a TV, maybe 30hz, maybe it sucks.

Every single large 4k monitor is 2k+, how is phillips getting a 40" 4k that cheap:confused:

How in hell is this monitor so cheap(going by over seas pricing) at 1k? Something has to be up, maybe its a TV, maybe 30hz, maybe it sucks.

Every single large 4k monitor is 2k+, how is phillips getting a 40" 4k that cheap:confused:
Those are made artificially expensive because margins and custom panels.
Phillips is most probably using TV 40" panels on this monitor, to which they just added a cheap 4k60 board (plenty of them made for the 28" 4k panels).
I actually think they're asking for more money than they should, since they're the first ones to come with this kind of product (until Seiki Pro next year), so they want to reap the lead.

Economies of scale really... 4K is starting to go mainstream now so panels are getting much cheaper to produce. This is unlike other resolutions like 2560x1440 and 1600p which were only targeted toward computer enthusiasts.

Eventually 4K will completely replace 1080p in the display market. This will probably happen by 2016

Hrm... this or the LG 34" ultrawide on Massdrop ($850)?

Less than 24H to cancel the MD purchase. The LG also won't ship until late Nov and likely won't arrive to purchasers until Dec 1 (earliest), very close to the 12-12 of the Philips.

What would you guys do?

Back