Phenom II X4 965 and 975

Roberty

Extremely [H]
I saw an article stating that the AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.4ghz) is supposed to be released somewhere around August 16th. Anyone hear any news of when the Phenom II X4 975 @3.6ghz is supposed to be released? I heard by years end but wondered if anyone has heard anything recently? Planning on doing some upgrading around the time that Windows 7 releases and I'm weighing my options.

Last edited:
there are only 2 reasons to buy the 965 or 975.. reason 1. you dont want to overclock.. reason 2. AMD is some how able to drop the required voltage lower then it would be to get the same clock on a 955.. outside of those 2 reasons/possibilities.. the 965 and 975 should be identical to the 955.. i dont see them improving the ddr3 IMC any more then whats already on the 955.. but we will just have to wait for the reviews i guess.. but if your in a time crunch to upgrade.. look at the 955 as the best possible option right now..

there are only 2 reasons to buy the 965 or 975.. reason 1. you dont want to overclock.. reason 2. AMD is some how able to drop the required voltage lower then it would be to get the same clock on a 955.. outside of those 2 reasons/possibilities.. the 965 and 975 should be identical to the 955.. i dont see them improving the ddr3 IMC any more then whats already on the 955.. but we will just have to wait for the reviews i guess.. but if your in a time crunch to upgrade.. look at the 955 as the best possible option right now..

Well, it is possible you could get a higher binned chip/new stepping, or they may officially support higher frequencies of ddr3.But personally i doubt the 965 and 975 will be worth it if they release them, as i dont see a whole lot of room for better overclocking, as once you get these things under dice or ln2 they really shine as is.

Well, it is possible you could get a higher binned chip/new stepping

That's why I'm asking. It seems like AMD has gotten it together recently with the newest cpu's overclocking much better than the older ones. Hopefully this will continue.

That's why I'm asking. It seems like AMD has gotten it together recently with the newest cpu's overclocking much better than the older ones. Hopefully this will continue.

Ive noticed somewhat of better overclocking in two builds ive done recently with a 720 tri core, they overclocked nearly 200mhz better than the previous builds ive done with the tri cores(such as when they first came out).

Well, it is possible you could get a higher binned chip/new stepping, or they may officially support higher frequencies of ddr3.But personally i doubt the 965 and 975 will be worth it if they release them, as i dont see a whole lot of room for better overclocking, as once you get these things under dice or ln2 they really shine as is.

i dont see them supporting any different memory frequencies.. both the i7 and the phenom II only officially support ddr3 1333.. where the higher frequency support comes from is the motherboards.. so we may see something different with the new chipsets but its doubtful.. the only way we will see better overclocking with the 965 and 975 would be if they could get the stock voltage lower.. say 1.15-1.2v @ 3.4-3.6ghz instead of the current 1.25v @ 3.2ghz on the 955.. if they can some how do that.. then we may see overclocks into the 4.2-4.4ghz mark on air.. but this is very doubtful since the 955 can do 3.4-3.6ghz at the stock voltage already..

There are some new steppings - AMD now has a 95W Phenom II X4 945 where previously it had been a 125W CPU. That indicates a lower voltage and maybe a bit less power leakage. That might clear the way for a 3.4 and 3.6GHz part and hopefully even better overclocks.

edit: of course, that assumes the listing is correct, but they've got 2 Ph II X4 945 listings, one 125W and one 95W.

There are some new steppings - AMD now has a 95W Phenom II X4 945 where previously it had been a 125W CPU. That indicates a lower voltage and maybe a bit less power leakage. That might clear the way for a 3.4 and 3.6GHz part and hopefully even better overclocks.

edit: of course, that assumes the listing is correct, but they've got 2 Ph II X4 945 listings, one 125W and one 95W.

i believe the phenom II 945 95w is the new 945 running at 1.25v that would make the processor 95w since its only running 3ghz instead of 3.2ghz.. the question though is.. is it an updated 945 or is it just a 955 running at a lower multiplier.. since the original 945 is just the am3 version of the 940 with 2ghz HT instead of 1.8ghz HT..

Why does AMD have such a similar naming scheme to Intel's i7s?

Last edited:

That is a very good sign that the newer AMD chips are going to be less power hungry since this new 945 is a 95w part and all of the current ones are 125w. No tests out yet but I'd be willing to bet it SHOULD be a better overclocker. Hopefully we will see more of this in the coming months. I for one am running a X2 6400+ and it's very warm running. I want to jump to quad core and be able to do some overclocking without any more heat if possible. :cool:

i dont see them supporting any different memory frequencies.. both the i7 and the phenom II only officially support ddr3 1333.. where the higher frequency support comes from is the motherboards.. so we may see something different with the new chipsets but its doubtful.. the only way we will see better overclocking with the 965 and 975 would be if they could get the stock voltage lower.. say 1.15-1.2v @ 3.4-3.6ghz instead of the current 1.25v @ 3.2ghz on the 955.. if they can some how do that.. then we may see overclocks into the 4.2-4.4ghz mark on air.. but this is very doubtful since the 955 can do 3.4-3.6ghz at the stock voltage already..

If anyone has a 955 that runs 3.2ghz @ 1.25v, I want it! :0

All the ones I have seen are 1.35v

That is a very good sign that the newer AMD chips are going to be less power hungry since this new 945 is a 95w part and all of the current ones are 125w. No tests out yet but I'd be willing to bet it SHOULD be a better overclocker. Hopefully we will see more of this in the coming months. I for one am running a X2 6400+ and it's very warm running. I want to jump to quad core and be able to do some overclocking without any more heat if possible. :cool:

I think it would be a better overclocker also ;). Running the 125watt 945 version here on water. I remember the days where you could pump tons of voltage into a cpu and get massive clocks even with temps pretty warm. But now with phenom 2s no matter how many volts i push, anything past 1.40 volts will actually give me more errors than 1.38 volts when overclocking. I think it has to do with the temps though. I noticed when it was night time and weather was cooler i could push it further and get even higher clocks and push the voltages a little more. The colder it got the better it overclocked even at super low voltages. I just left it at 1.36volts at 3.6ghz. I hit 3.8ghz but it just wasn't stable enough because of the summer heat ;). If theres a better version that can push past 4ghz then i'll probably go with that later on.

If anyone has a 955 that runs 3.2ghz @ 1.25v, I want it! :0

All the ones I have seen are 1.35v

they are suppose to be 1.25v a lot of the bios have them set wrong.. the beta bios i have to use on my board for my 940 has the stock voltage set at 1.15v.. amd gave board makers completely wrong numbers for their processors..

Back