PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there a consensus on the best settings for this monitor?

I have mine in sRGB mode, overdrive on "normal", dark boost is off, variable backlight is on level 3. This is with HDR on.
Thats exactly what I use, except I use dark boost of 1 (personal preference for gaming). My mode is also set to racing, but pretty sure with HDR on, mode does not matter as the HDR standard takes over anyway. In windows, HDR is on, RGB444, 12bit color and 144Hz.

When is Asus releasing a updated model with hdmi 2.1 and a faster panel.

That would be the perfect screen
Probably this year and it is ASUS PG32UQXR.
DisplayNinja link.
It looks like the same panel as in the current Acer Predator X32 FP. It should be what we are waiting for here to replace this extremely expensive and outdated model, with the exception of the zone count. However, even with half the local dimming zones, this new panel seems to offer similar experience but with less blooming.

Probably this year and it is ASUS PG32UQXR.
DisplayNinja link.
It looks like the same panel as in the current Acer Predator X32 FP. It should be what we are waiting for here to replace this extremely expensive and outdated model, with the exception of the zone count. However, even with half the local dimming zones, this new panel seems to offer similar experience but with less blooming.

If the X32 FP is any indication then we can expect horrible EOTF tracking, busted overdrive, and a dysfuntional HDR mode that requires multiple monitor OSD changes to turn it on/off. I would hardly call that a "similar experience".

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer-predator-x32-fp

If the X32 FP is any indication then we can expect horrible EOTF tracking, busted overdrive, and a dysfuntional HDR mode that requires multiple monitor OSD changes to turn it on/off. I would hardly call that a "similar experience".

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer-predator-x32-fp
Horrible EOTF tracking? Anyway, correct me if I am wrong, but overdrive setup and unnecessary fiddling with options to enable HDR is an Acer-specific problem. I mean, the old ASUS monitor has its fair share of issues, the biggest one being it's extremely slow and lots of blooming, but most of all an excessive price tag for not an ideal experience.
The new ASUS should come with both HDMI and DP 2.1 as well as being much faster and with less blooming (but not as bright either), but most importantly, more affordable price. I am really hoping they nail the new one, because this old one flopped hard and OLEDs, I personally like much less than mini-LEDs, are taking over the market by storm.

Last edited:
Horrible EOTF tracking? Anyway, correct me if I am wrong, but overdrive setup and unnecessary fiddling with options to enable HDR is an Acer-specific problem. I mean, the old ASUS monitor has its fair share of issues, the biggest one being it's extremely slow and lots of blooming, but most of all an excessive price tag for not an ideal experience.
The new ASUS should come with both HDMI and DP 2.1 as well as being much faster and with less blooming (but not as bright either), but most importantly, more affordable price. I am really hoping they nail the new one, because this old one flopped hard and OLEDs, I personally like much less than mini-LEDs, are taking over the market by storm.

The PG32UQX with its much higher brightness will still have a significantly better HDR experience than the PG32UQXR.

What's going to be interesting is how it performs in comparison - the software upgrade/hardware downgrade balance should be interesting. I'd assume this also will mean end of production for the older QX.

I don't think ASUS is even making the PG
asus pg32uqxr coming out soon with hdmi 2.1 and dp 2.1 BUT it has half the zones as pg32uqx
Where did you get that "soon" from?
I saw the other day ASUS representative on Reddit write, "Our model PG32UQXR is coming, wait for it" as an answer to a question about which 4k 32" mini-LED model to get, but they refused to give even a rough date...

I saw the other day ASUS representative on Reddit write, "Our model PG32UQXR is coming, wait for it" as an answer to a question about which 4k 32" mini-LED model to get, but they refused to give even a rough date...
This has been announced but sadly I think its going to get canned. Apparently its the same panel in the X32 and that panel is horrendous from what I have heard.

This has been announced but sadly I think its going to get canned. Apparently its the same panel in the X32 and that panel is horrendous from what I have heard.
Really? Because the Acer X32 FP and panel in particular got glowing reviews, biggest issues being unpolished and fiddly HDR activation and overshoot, something Asus possibly addressed.

early this year it was announced with the 27” oled, equipped with hdmi 2.1 & dp 2.1 it is more futureproof than uqx, faster and newer panel but half the zones… lacks gsync ultimate also, price is probably 1200-1500 if acer 32 fp is any indication, id say this monitor is probably ready to release soon around summer to fall before holidays is my guess

People here weren't kidding when they said how dim OLED's are. I've been using this monitor for two years since release and decided to try my first OLED Asus 240hz 1440p. After a week I'm back to using this and returning the OLED. The pixel response time is faster and clearer, but I didn't think the difference was that big honestly. What got me to return it was how dim HDR is. So much so I had to turn up the in-game brightness on all the games I'm playing. What's the point of fast response time if I can't see anything? I'm on my second play through of RE4 Remake and I can barely see the archers in the balcony in the water hall level whereas before on mini-LED I had no problem. I've saw some comparison here and didn't think it was that dim until I tried it myself. If Asus can improve the response time of their next mini-LED I would buy it instantly.

People here weren't kidding when they said how dim OLED's are. I've been using this monitor for two years since release and decided to try my first OLED Asus 240hz 1440p. After a week I'm back to using this and returning the OLED. The pixel response time is faster and clearer, but I didn't think the difference was that big honestly. What got me to return it was how dim HDR is. So much so I had to turn up the in-game brightness on all the games I'm playing. What's the point of fast response time if I can't see anything? I'm on my second play through of RE4 Remake and I can barely see the archers in the balcony in the water hall level whereas before on mini-LED I had no problem. I've saw some comparison here and didn't think it was that dim until I tried it myself. If Asus can improve the response time of their next mini-LED I would buy it instantly.
I had a similar experience when trying out the PG42UQ oled. The wow factor that the PG32UQX has from the brightness is something else and much more immersive then some INKY blacks.

You probably couldn't see anything because Asus's poor EOTF tracking ends up crushing shadow detail so that is really more of a fault of firmware and not the display tech itself. But I'm with you though, I'm enjoying the HDR gaming experience on my MiniLED screen way more than my LG CX.

Ur supposed to match the environment with those screens (aka play in pitch dark)

But yes Mini-led is my preferred tech by far.

I love my PA32UCG peaks out at just over 1800 nits god if only it had a Gsync module.

I would never replace it.

The panel appears to be great. It's Acer's firmware and FALD algorith that appear to be horrendous.

At Touch Taiwan, AUO mentions they are slowly transitioning to micro-LED but the tech has not fully matured yet. They expect prices to drop 50% every 2 years once they become commercially available, which is not likely for another 2-4 years. Slowly, these devices will overtake both mini-LED and OLED.

https://technewsspace.com/taiwans-a...s-but-commercial-use-is-still-a-long-way-off/

I hope the article is wrong about them only looking at micoLED for use in OLED style displays. A 960x540 microLED backlight would be a much simpler design than the low res laptop displays they're tinkering with; but at 1 light element per 4x4 cluster of pixels on a 4k screen would be a massive improvement over current FALD options. Not perfect, but good enough that halo artifacts would only be marginally larger than anti-aliasing smearing effects can be.

For that matter just quading the 14.6" 1280x720 laptop display into a 29.2" 2560x1440 desktop display would be an interesting product to offer if the poor yield problem could be solved.

Hi. A quick question: I'm deciding between this monitor and the PA32UCG. It seems to me, at least on paper, that the PA32UCG should be a better monitor, but I'm wondering about these: The 32UQX covers 160% SRGB while the PA32UCG covers "just" 100% SRB. Both monitors cover 98% DCI-P3, but I have no info about the Adobe RGB coverage in the 32UQX.
What are the implications of the 32UQX covering 160% SRGB vs the 32UGC "just" 100%? Does it mean the images (videos, photos and general web browsing) -BOTH monitors in SRGB modes-, in the 32UQX monitor look more "vibrant", "lively", "colorful" than on the PA32UCG? What could be the practical purpose of having the 32UQX at 160% in SRGB when ASUS made the monitor?
I will use the monitor for general use (browsing, office) and also photo/video editing and some gaming too. If you asked me what would be my "dream" monitor, it would be one that could offer the same or even better image quality of Apple's XDR Pro Display but for Windows use. I used the XDR monitor at the Apple Store, and it left me impressed. I have the Benq SW321C, and I'm very disappointed at it. Colors look dull (no matter which mode) and it is not bright enough. I know the SW321C it's supposed to be a professional photo monitor but, boy, what a disappointment!

Any insight or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

It would be a perfect monitor if the panel was faster. Motion clarity is far from great on this, unfortunately. I have the PG32UQX and the XG321UG, but I much prefer to play fast games (like Doom Eternal) on my AW3423DW (QD-OLED) and 45GR95QE (OLED) monitors. The much better motion clarity makes a large difference in the experience.
Hi. Quick question: I have the 45GR95QE and though it is a fantastic monitor, I would like to add a 4K 32" monitor to get better pixel pitch. In your case in which you own the 45 and the 32UQX, how better is overall picture/image quality on the 32UQX vs the 45? Do colors on the 32UQX look more vibrant and lively? Thanks!

Hi. A quick question: I'm deciding between this monitor and the PA32UCG. It seems to me, at least on paper, that the PA32UCG should be a better monitor, but I'm wondering about these: The 32UQX covers 160% SRGB while the PA32UCG covers "just" 100% SRB. Both monitors cover 98% DCI-P3, but I have no info about the Adobe RGB coverage in the 32UQX.
What are the implications of the 32UQX covering 160% SRGB vs the 32UGC "just" 100%? Does it mean the images (videos, photos and general web browsing) -BOTH monitors in SRGB modes-, in the 32UQX monitor look more "vibrant", "lively", "colorful" than on the PA32UCG? What could be the practical purpose of having the 32UQX at 160% in SRGB when ASUS made the monitor?
I will use the monitor for general use (browsing, office) and also photo/video editing and some gaming too. If you asked me what would be my "dream" monitor, it would be one that could offer the same or even better image quality of Apple's XDR Pro Display but for Windows use. I used the XDR monitor at the Apple Store, and it left me impressed. I have the Benq SW321C, and I'm very disappointed at it. Colors look dull (no matter which mode) and it is not bright enough. I know the SW321C it's supposed to be a professional photo monitor but, boy, what a disappointment!

Do not forget that the XDR monitor should be a GLOSSY panel , and this is a great advance in my opinion over a matte one. I my opinion a matte panel can't match the impact that a glossy panel has

Do not forget that the XDR monitor should be a GLOSSY panel , and this is a great advance in my opinion over a matte one. I my opinion a matte panel can't match the impact that a glossy panel has
If glossy are those panels that have a reflection, I hate those... so glad the UQX doesn't have one... lol

If glossy are those panels that have a reflection, I hate those... so glad the UQX doesn't have one... lol
Same here. Noticeable reflections bother me far more than any of the things that matte or low gloss displays do worse than high gloss ones.

Depends on your use case, if Photography, Video Editing, Grading are your most important priorities, then UCG/UCR. If not, UQX/UQXR all the way.
If you want superior Coverages and extreme Vividness, pick up S95C/A95L instead and use it as a monitor.

Last edited:
why would anyone want glossy screens on a pc monitor? so distracting, die by reflections

The anti-reflective coatings on matte screens smear the pixels slightly making things less sharp. If you can control your lighting well enough to make reflections not a problem they'll look better. Phones/tablets do it by just running really bright, for PCs that's really not an option both because of the wall power level needed and because it requires running an several times standard brightness levels which can cause eye strain if you don't also run really bright in room lighting. If you can place your setup so that natural light (which moves with the sun) never falls on your screen and also put the room lights in places they don't cause reflections, you can, and some people do make them work. IF you can't then your choices are reflections or matte finishes.

I'm a matte user, but not so full of myself to think that my preferences are the only ones that are valid. People who prefer LCD vs OLED vs CRT, matte vs glossy, and (within LCD users) IPS vs VA vs TN have preferences that are different not wrong.

Reactions: Xar
like this
The anti-reflective coatings on matte screens smear the pixels slightly making things less sharp. If you can control your lighting well enough to make reflections not a problem they'll look better. Phones/tablets do it by just running really bright, for PCs that's really not an option both because of the wall power level needed and because it requires running an several times standard brightness levels which can cause eye strain if you don't also run really bright in room lighting. If you can place your setup so that natural light (which moves with the sun) never falls on your screen and also put the room lights in places they don't cause reflections, you can, and some people do make them work. IF you can't then your choices are reflections or matte finishes.

I'm a matte user, but not so full of myself to think that my preferences are the only ones that are valid. People who prefer LCD vs OLED vs CRT, matte vs glossy, and (within LCD users) IPS vs VA vs TN have preferences that are different not wrong.
i enjoy gloss coated oled screens on tv and handhelds, not sure about pc monitors, you could but its personal preference really

Last edited:

This!

Hi, new owner of a PG32UQX here. Has anyone experienced a low-pitch buzzing noise coming from their monitor? The buzzing stays on even when the monitor is off. It only stops when I unplug the monitor. To me, this doesn't sound like a fan noise and is loud enough to be heard 6 feet away.

I assume this is a hardware fault and will exchange it with Amazon, but I'm curious of any experiences/magic fixes here. I'm trying other power outlets later. Besides the buzzing, the panel is great. I've tried turning off all the LED's, various settings and so on. Also contacted Asus support, and they said they'll get back to me in a couple days.

Hi, new owner of a PG32UQX here. Has anyone experienced a low-pitch buzzing noise coming from their monitor? The buzzing stays on even when the monitor is off. It only stops when I unplug the monitor. To me, this doesn't sound like a fan noise and is loud enough to be heard 6 feet away.

I assume this is a hardware fault and will exchange it with Amazon, but I'm curious of any experiences/magic fixes here. I'm trying other power outlets later. Besides the buzzing, the panel is great. I've tried turning off all the LED's, various settings and so on. Also contacted Asus support, and they said they'll get back to me in a couple days.
Nope, never heard it on mine, I'd exchange for sure. My story is somewhere in here, but Asus QC is garbage. It took me till my 3rd monitor to get a good working one. Mine has absolutely no noise, I can barely even hear the fan if the room is dead silent.

Last edited:

mine is so quiet that if you didn't tell me there was a fan... i didn't even know !

This monitor has been incredible. Have had it since Nov 2021 and the HDR on this has ruined every other monitor IMO. Especially the Auto HDR feature in Win 11 is so sick it makes older games look amazing.

This monitor has been incredible. Have had it since Nov 2021 and the HDR on this has ruined every other monitor IMO. Especially the Auto HDR feature in Win 11 is so sick it makes older games look amazing.
It's great at what it excels, pure brightness insanity. But most people still place it under an all time great that is 48" LG C1 in overall criteria.

It's great at what it excels, pure brightness insanity. But most people still place it under an all time great that is 48" LG C1 in overall criteria.
Sure, if you enjoy OLED burn-in and a wall mount solution.... no thanks... lol.

Aside from Burn-in, Brightness, and Coverages, it trashes PG32UQX in all other aspects, lol...
How so? Its a TV pretending to be a monitor. So unless you want to sit far away, dot pitch also is trash. Sure, response time on OLED is better, but thats only one piece of the puzzle. Its also only 120hz (afaik). One could maybe make an argument on blooming, but its not bad at all on my 32uqx, but I also have a newer model, so maybe they addressed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back