PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t read through this entire thing, but is there a consensus on key differences against XG321UG or are they more or less equal?

Equal, but the PG32UQX has a much noisier fan. On the other hand, I like the FPS display on the PG32UQX.

Equal, but the PG32UQX has a much noisier fan. On the other hand, I like the FPS display on the PG32UQX.
I can't even hear the fan on my PG32UQX, even after using HDR for a 2+ hour gaming session. However, mine also looks to have been built in June 2022, and also has the newer firmware.

I can't even hear the fan on my PG32UQX, even after using HDR for a 2+ hour gaming session. However, mine also looks to have been built in June 2022, and also has the newer firmware.

Maybe they changed it in more recent builds. Mine is pretty annoying, but I have a silent computer (when not gaming), so any noise is noticeable.

I had PG32UQX and then XG321UG one right after the other. They are essentially the same, but can confirm there is NO fan noise on the XG at all. Basically zero for all intents and purposes. The PG did have a better UI and gamier design. Both are par excellence monitors for true image quality connoisseurs.

Maybe they changed it in more recent builds. Mine is pretty annoying, but I have a silent computer (when not gaming), so any noise is noticeable.
Well hopefully it doesn't get worse either... after about a year the fan in my PG27UQ on the gsync chip started to rattle. It eventually worked itself out (or died mostly? lol), but you can still hear it trying to move if you listen for it. I use that monitor as a secondary on my gaming PC still for discord and stuff.

I actually like the display too... I don't even see it when gaming, but use it to show GPU and CPU temp along with FPS so its there when I care to look quickly.

Hmm I did not even realize that little OLED display was on there. I do like that. My PC is in a room with a very noisy fish tank so I doubt I would hear the fan.

Hmm I did not even realize that little OLED display was on there. I do like that. My PC is in a room with a very noisy fish tank so I doubt I would hear the fan.
TBH, I originally thought it was just some gimmicky selling point I would never use... lol. But once i tried it out, I rather enjoy having it now and use it to display useful information. YMMV based on where you sit, but based on how close I am to my monitor and where my focus is on the screen when gaming, it is not distracting at all. Worst case, you can turn it off.

I haven’t read through this entire thing, but is there a consensus on key differences against XG321UG or are they more or less equal?
They are the same panel, but there might be some difference to they way ViewSonic tuned the OD comparted to Asus. Of course not accounting for panel variance between samples. The Asus has some more features and given they are the same price, I would take the ROG hands down any day of the week.

XG321UG has more aggressive OD in it's standard OD preset that produces visible overshoot which is IMO the only usable mode. Above that like the Asus, its just crazy overshoot and unusable.

I think the Asus is better tuned out the box but it depends how sensitive you are to overshoot because the ViewSonic is really borderline and subtle.

Who sees this overshoot anyway?!?! If I am playing COD:MW2 at 144 FPS (144Hz as well) and change OD from "Normal" to "Extreme" on my PG32UQX, I notice exactly 0 difference in anything when playing... lol

Who sees this overshoot anyway?!?! If I am playing COD:MW2 at 144 FPS (144Hz as well) and change OD from "Normal" to "Extreme" on my PG32UQX, I notice exactly 0 difference in anything when playing... lol
Anything but normal looks disgusting. There are literally haloing afterimages following everything as you pan the camera. It sucks because extreme cleans up a lot of it's super slow pixel response nicely but the visual disturbances from overshoot is no where near worth the trade off.

Anything but normal looks disgusting. There are literally haloing afterimages following everything as you pan the camera. It sucks because extreme cleans up a lot of it's super slow pixel response nicely but the visual disturbances from overshoot is no where near worth the trade off.
Maybe my eyes are just too old... lol. I never see ghosting or a slow response in "Normal" OD mode, and I swear, I tried to see issues with "Extreme" as well when playing a game in motion and for the life of me could not see them. I know Extreme does have overshoot, but damn, I can't see it in motion to save my life. I think the "response time" in Normal mode gets blown way out of proportion by reviewers. I play several FPS games at full 144 FPS/Hz and have 0 issues with the games.

Maybe my eyes are just too old... lol. I never see ghosting or a slow response in "Normal" OD mode, and I swear, I tried to see issues with "Extreme" as well when playing a game in motion and for the life of me could not see them. I know Extreme does have overshoot, but damn, I can't see it in motion to save my life. I think the "response time" in Normal mode gets blown way out of proportion by reviewers. I play several FPS games at full 144 FPS/Hz and have 0 issues with the games.
Agree 100% with this^

It looks like he still hasn't seen the monitor himself.

The ghosting on Extreme can be slightly seen on sharp images without DLSS/TAA especially on the trees against the sky but not that much noticeable.

I played a lot of Mirror's Edge Catalyst with TAA off but 120% resolution scale at 4K AutoHDR, these 1800nits rooftop sunlight can give serotonin. 1800nits RGB can give even more.

It looks like he still hasn't seen the monitor himself.

The ghosting on Extreme can be slightly seen on sharp images without DLSS/TAA especially on the trees against the sky but not that much noticeable.

I played a lot of Mirror's Edge Catalyst with TAA off but 120% resolution scale at 4K AutoHDR, these 1800nits rooftop sunlight can give serotonin. 1800nits RGB can give even more.

I seriously can't trust a word you say regarding this monitor because you will go to any length to defend it and completely ignore any of its legitimate short comings. Is Asus paying you?

60% of transitions produce inverse ghosting on extreme. I can't even wrap my head around how this is even subjective unless you are literally blind which is a possibility given how much time you spend staring at static HDR content on this monitor.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 132129.png

5 seconds to switch between normal and extreme using TestUFO is all it takes to evaluate how unusable extreme is (its even worse in games). Give it a try:

https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

Reactions: Hypez
like this
I seriously can't trust a word you say regarding this monitor because you will go to any length to defend it and completely ignore any of its legitimate short comings. Is Asus paying you?

60% of transitions produce inverse ghosting on extreme. I can't even wrap my head around how this is even subjective unless you are literally blind which is a possibility given how much time you spend staring at static HDR content on this monitor.

View attachment 546195

5 seconds to switch between normal and extreme using TestUFO is all it takes to evaluate how unusable extreme is (its even worse in games). Give it a try:

So you are just imagining what it looks like.

I already said many times people tend to imagine what a 7ms response time looks like when they claims a 5ms monitor suddenly looks amazing.

They all looks terribly similar on UFO test when the image moves fast enough. Normal gameplay like Doom with the hardest difficulty hardly moves that fast. That's why the ghosting is hardly noticed. You buy the monitor for triple A games with graphics.

There is TN eSport monitor for high-tier gameplay.

View attachment 546195

So you are just imagining what it looks like.

I already said many times people tend to imagine what a 7ms response time looks like when they claims a 5ms monitor suddenly looks amazing.

They all looks terribly similar on UFO test when the image moves fast enough. Normal gameplay like Doom with the hardest difficulty hardly moves that fast. That's why the ghosting is hardly noticed. You buy the monitor for triple A games with graphics.

There is TN eSport monitor for high-tier gameplay.
I agree with both points here because that is where I am at. I understand it has a slower response time overall, I use Normal OD for all games, and I notice absolutely 0 ghosting in games... none, at all, whatsoever. Either it's barely there or my eyes can't see it past focusing on the action or graphics. I have used Extreme mode in COD:MW2 multiplayer, 144 FPS/Hz, DLSS balanced on my 3090 with all other settings maxed, I can't tell the difference between Normal OD or Extreme in that game. I leave it in Normal mode now but could not tell when I tried turning it back and forth while playing. I mean, they are using professional equipment to even capture glimpses of it under the most extreme conditions.

This is why I debate how meaningful some of this data is in real life applications and gaming. The mind inherently makes motion smooth and blends colors (your mind at its roots does DLSS... lol) and while I am sure some people might be sensitive to ghosting or response time, on a 4K 144Hz HDR monitor geared toward graphics whores, I imagine that pool is rather small. That same article I saw shows the input lag was something in the 12ms range (move mouse to what you see on the screen)... no way that matters for graphics whore casual gaming, I'd argue it barely matters in ultra-competitive gaming either, but that is not really the discussion here or the target audiance.

9.png

This monitor is in every way better than my old PG27UQ and I loved that monitor. The graphics are phenomenal and i have yet to run into this response time or ghosting half the reviewers seem to talk about.

I don't know what else to say to some people other than just try it. If it sucks, return it, if not, keep it. Monitors are VERY subjective to the user, there is not one size fits all.

This is why I debate how meaningful some of this data is in real life applications and gaming. The mind inherently makes motion smooth and blends colors (your mind at its roots does DLSS... lol) and while I am sure some people might be sensitive to ghosting or response time, on a 4K 144Hz HDR monitor geared toward graphics whores, I imagine that pool is rather small. That same article I saw shows the input lag was something in the 12ms range (move mouse to what you see on the screen)... no way that matters for graphics whore casual gaming, I'd argue it barely matters in ultra-competitive gaming either, but that is not really the discussion here or the target audiance.
Meanwhile I can definitely tell a difference playing on my 4K 120 Hz LG OLED TV vs 4K 144 Hz IPS Samsung G70A. For reference the games I play are largely AAA, graphics focused 3rd person adventure stuff rather than multiplayer shooters. I can notice more blur in motion with the Samsung as you play the game regularly rather than stop to admire the view.

The Samsung has about 4ms better response times than the PG32UQX and it's honestly totally fine for gaming, but it's still obvious the OLED has clearer motion even with its slightly lower refresh rate. If the PG32UQX is your main monitor you will probably get used to its performance and not think about it, but that doesn't mean the performance problems are not there. For me, that's not an acceptable compromise on a 10x more expensive monitor than my Samsung.

OLED is fast but with unsolvable problems of flickers and low brightness. Unsolvable flickers alone gives eye strain not even mentioning what picture quality you can get at sub 300nits. Burn-in is not much of concern for monitors that is build to compete as the upgrade cycle of eSport products is rather short except the panel of Zowie.

That QD-OLED AW3423DW can give eye strain under 30 minutes at only 250nits. The brighter it gets the more flickers it has. The new 27GR95QE or PG27AQDM won't be far away from it. Interestingly I've been using Zowie strobe for a long time. It hardly gives eye strain even for 6 hours of gaming. It is one of the fewer flickers that doesn't cause eye strain unlike OLED.

There is already flickers recorded on 27GR95QE. I'll buy OLED immediately to replace my current eSport monitors If there is an OLED panel with 0 flickers plus 400nits fullfield SDR brightness.

Image quality wise they are all inferior. There are true HDR monitors made for different purposes.
OLED-Flickering_1.gif

OLED is fast but with unsolvable problems of flickers and low brightness. Unsolvable flickers alone gives eye strain not even mentioning what picture quality you can get at sub 300nits. Burn-in is not much of concern for monitors that is build to compete as the upgrade cycle of eSport products is rather short except the panel of Zowie.
How much flicker affects you is highly individual. People can have issues looking at all kinds of displays regardless of the tech used - IPS, TN, VA, CRT, OLED, PWM or not...you can bet there is someone complaining about eye strain with it. So yeah, OLEDs could be eye fatiguing for you, but not to many others. I've got OLEDs in my phone and my TV and have never had any issues with visible flickering except that LG OLED problem where it can have flicker in very specific situations with dark content and I have seen that so rarely it's a total nonissue for me.

As for brightness, atm there is light flooding in from my windows on the side. My LCD, which is capable of like 300-400 nits at max, is set for 120 nits. I still have no trouble viewing it and typing this message. That's how I ran my glossy, 48" OLED TV for 2 years in a different apartment with probably even more light in worst cases and had to raise the brightness only slightly.

Something not talked about a lot is light sensitivity. My spouse is very sensitive to this so she runs her display at pretty low brightness compared to me and finds that comfortable. For me something like 250 nits on desktop/SDR use would be uncomfortably bright but not for e.g HDR gaming where you don't have a single, super bright light source on screen most of the time. Yes, the real world is a lot brighter and we instinctively tend to look away from car headlights in the dark, bright sun etc which we cannot do with a computer screen.

How much flicker affects you is highly individual. People can have issues looking at all kinds of displays regardless of the tech used - IPS, TN, VA, CRT, OLED, PWM or not...you can bet there is someone complaining about eye strain with it. So yeah, OLEDs could be eye fatiguing for you, but not to many others. I've got OLEDs in my phone and my TV and have never had any issues with visible flickering except that LG OLED problem where it can have flicker in very specific situations with dark content and I have seen that so rarely it's a total nonissue for me.

As for brightness, atm there is light flooding in from my windows on the side. My LCD, which is capable of like 300-400 nits at max, is set for 120 nits. I still have no trouble viewing it and typing this message. That's how I ran my glossy, 48" OLED TV for 2 years in a different apartment with probably even more light in worst cases and had to raise the brightness only slightly.

Something not talked about a lot is light sensitivity. My spouse is very sensitive to this so she runs her display at pretty low brightness compared to me and finds that comfortable. For me something like 250 nits on desktop/SDR use would be uncomfortably bright but not for e.g HDR gaming where you don't have a single, super bright light source on screen most of the time. Yes, the real world is a lot brighter and we instinctively tend to look away from car headlights in the dark, bright sun etc which we cannot do with a computer screen.
Flickers are not that highly individual once you keep seeing above 200nits APL images. I doubt anybody can stand an average 200nits flicker images for 30 minutes.

Most images you can see from your display are just 100nits average. They are not good images compare to true HDR. But with wide gamut and higher brightness, I can make these 100nits sRGB images become 400-600nits images similar to HDR 400 with tons of more colors. These are the daily images I see at least. And I need high PWM or just DC dimming. Low frequency PWM or OLED flicker won't cut it.

If you want to see the true HDR, the images need to be flicker-free so your eyes can stand 200nits+ APL to see more closer to the real world lighting scenario.

Just post it here.

Check the film from 23 years. The original film was only made for SDR sRGB 80nits.

But if you have a monitor like PG32UQX, the fully extended HDR1000 contains tons more brightness and color. It's simply a higher range.

Basically every 100nits image can look like this with a competent HDR monitor.

Even 400nits Adobe SDR from this monitor can still look half way decent. This is only possible on a true HDR monitor.

Just post it here.

Check the film from 23 years. The original film was only made for SDR sRGB 80nits.

But if you have a monitor like PG32UQX, the fully extended HDR1000 contains tons more brightness and color. It's simply a higher range.

Basically every 100nits image can look like this with a competent HDR monitor.

Even 400nits Adobe SDR from this monitor can still look half way decent. This is only possible on a true HDR monitor.

Fuck me the first video is eye searing on my PA32UCG you sure thats just 1000 nits peak?

Hello I was wondering if you made that video or if it was just ripped from the movie like that. I downloaded a few different versions of the movie Belle and none of them have the HDR that bright. Either that or I have misconfigured something in MPV. If you use MPV what kind of settings do you use? Or do you use anything else. Or did just choose a few clips and grade them yourself? Thanks!
Phrowrah that is SERIOUSLY bright

Long story short i dont think i will be buying a ASUS in the future as the customer support is truly dreadful i was told to remove the monitor shroud to help keep glare away from the screen because its overheating the monitor in HDR mode in Final cut.

I think I am going to go for it on this display. Hoping to get more than 7% off that I am seeing on Amazon. Do they come on sale regularly?

You just proves my point there is not much difference between OD Normal vs Extreme even under UFO test.

People doesn't play UFO testing for several hours as games. They hardly noticed it when they play games with lower panning speed.
This comment makes me think the issue is that your eye sight isn't that great for detail. I don't mean that as an insult, I'm serious. I mean the same way that some people say they can't see the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz.

I have to turn the OD down on monitors with much better response times than this because the overshoot bothers me in games, not tests.

I've seen the PG32UQX in person. I thought I was going to buy it before it released, but the motion was not good in my opinion. If the PG32UQXR fixes that, I will buy three.

This comment makes me think the issue is that your eye sight isn't that great for detail. I don't mean that as an insult, I'm serious. I mean the same way that some people say they can't see the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz.

I have to turn the OD down on monitors with much better response times than this because the overshoot bothers me in games, not tests.

I've seen the PG32UQX in person. I thought I was going to buy it before it released, but the motion was not good in my opinion. If the PG32UQXR fixes that, I will buy three.
You have seen it in store with test images. Anybody can notice it immediately if you put out ghosting test images.

But you don't play UFO 24/7 on this monitor. You do works and games with slower panning speed. Funny there is nothing about eyesight, I call easily tell the difference between 240Hz, 280Hz, 360Hz. I have no problem playing Doom Eternal on the hardest difficulty with this monitor. I have no problems ranking R6 on eSport monitors either.

There is ghosting. I see it. It's not that distracting as OD is made to provide better motion overall. The limitation is that if you choose other monitors that favor anything else such as response time the image won't look as good. Monitor is made for image quality first not for motion.

There is ghosting. I see it. It's not that distracting as OD is made to provide better motion overall. The limitation is that if you choose other monitors that favor anything else such as response time the image won't look as good. Monitor is made for image quality first not for motion.
I'd argue motion clarity is part of image quality and if it's blurry in motion that's no good either. As an extreme example, Apple's Macbook Pro mini-LED screens have pretty good image quality - high HDR brightness even, but they have the worst response times you can think of so 120 Hz, even 60 Hz is a blurfest. Even the latest models only improved it a bit but is still terrible compared to any external display on the market.

But if you go into "motion clarity is all that matters" extreme you get into TN panels with 360+ Hz which are then terrible at everything else but might work for you if you just play competitive shooters where you don't care about how it looks. Or you compromise on brightness with OLED or mini-LEDs that are not the PG32UQX.

I think I am going to go for it on this display. Hoping to get more than 7% off that I am seeing on Amazon. Do they come on sale regularly?
Picked mine up at a microcenter for $2299 price match with Amazon. You might get luckly.

Problem is, for HDR1400 and color quality, this monitor is unmatched for a 144Hz 4K display. Everything else has compromises. So its not likely to drop much more anytime soon as all monitors coming out this year for HDR are "mid-range".

I'd argue motion clarity is part of image quality and if it's blurry in motion that's no good either. As an extreme example, Apple's Macbook Pro mini-LED screens have pretty good image quality - high HDR brightness even, but they have the worst response times you can think of so 120 Hz, even 60 Hz is a blurfest. Even the latest models only improved it a bit but is still terrible compared to any external display on the market.

But if you go into "motion clarity is all that matters" extreme you get into TN panels with 360+ Hz which are then terrible at everything else but might work for you if you just play competitive shooters where you don't care about how it looks. Or you compromise on brightness with OLED or mini-LEDs that are not the PG32UQX.
This is why it is so important for people to view monitors when possible in stores. So much of it is subjective to the individual. What bothers someone may not bother someone else.

Some want pure image quality, others pure speed.

In my case, the HDR is incredible and good 4K HDR monitors are not easy to find. This might have ghosting some people notice, for me, can't say I do in games and the color and brightness are amazing on this monitor.

Even now that I have a 4090 and am easily hitting 144Hz in games, I still can't find it on Normal OD mode and response time still feel amazing. So I dunno, must not bug me. Sure OLED is amazing for response time, but the brightness levels just are not there yet, so this is the best we got for HDR for now!

Personally, I see myself using this for at least 3 or 4 years. Will not want to make the jump again until OLED or MicroLED hit the market with HDR1400, 4K and over 200Hz without compromise. By then, maybe we will have a 5090 or 6090 out to drive them that fast at 4k... lol

If you check the road map of AUO, it makes a slower panel first with the best possible images such as PG27UQ, PG32UQX. The variations are gradually released later after years in favor for other aspects such as costs, response time. But they are just variations not something entirely new. This year AUO is supposed to make a 60Hz 2304 zones 4K panel. It can take even longer for that 60Hz panel jump to 144Hz.

There are needs for at least two monitors for different purposes as the perfect thing doesn't exist as much as the technology allows.

There are monitors that has ups and downs to sit between 4K 144Hz HDR 1400 PG32UQX and 1080P 360Hz SDR XL2566. Why not just having PG32UQX and XL2566 at the same time. I still have XL2546 as my side monitor because I play ranks but 99% of the time I daily drive PG32UQX.

I know its not a "gaming" monitor but i do wonder how much worse off the response time is of the PA32UCG compared to PG32UQX.

Seems the PA32UCG is extremely scarce in terms of popularity and reviews its essentially a UQX without gsync but it has HDMI 2.1

Motion clarity is just as important an aspect of overall image quality as contrast. What good is amazing HDR if in motion it looks terrible.

I mean this monitors poor motion clarity is immediately visible. Anything white leaves a half cm or longer smeary trail. Its strange that VA's with black smear get so much flack when this exhibits the same poor motion clarity but inverse across a much larger range of shades (white/grey instead of only black) and it gets a pass because you can stare at static sunsets at 1600nits since nobody wants to pan the camera and see the visible mess.

Play Forza Horizon 5 and look at all the flood lights at night as you drive or any of the player name tags. It looks really bad and completely overshadows anything worthwhile the monitor does when it comes to HDR.

All I'm saying is that this is a really unbalanced display and basically a 1 trick pony. You can see evidence of this by that guy who keeps posting static images of its HDR brightness.

Screenshot 2023-02-12 090552.png

Motion clarity is just as important an aspect of overall image quality as contrast. What good is amazing HDR if in motion it looks terrible.

I mean this monitors poor motion clarity is immediately visible. Anything white leaves a half cm or longer smeary trail. Its strange that VA's with black smear get so much flack when this exhibits the same poor motion clarity but inverse across a much larger range of shades (white/grey instead of only black) and it gets a pass because you can stare at static sunsets at 1600nits since nobody wants to pan the camera and see the visible mess.

Play Forza Horizon 5 and look at all the flood lights at night as you drive or any of the player name tags. It looks really bad and completely overshadows anything worthwhile the monitor does when it comes to HDR.

All I'm saying is that this is a really unbalanced display and basically a 1 trick pony. You can see evidence of this by that guy who keeps posting static images of its HDR brightness.

View attachment 548546
So FH5 is still one of my favorite games and I still play it all the time. I get about 100~120FPS average now and use MSAA8x. For the life of me, I can't find anything game breaking on this monitor when playing it. I actually think the game looks absolutely beautiful on this monitor. If I have noticed any bluring, I probably just assumed it was motion blur in the game when driving really fast.

What I will say is, I have been using IPS monitors as far back as I can remember. The second flat panel I ever bought was an Asus Proart IPS that was 1920x1200 and I haven't looked back since. So perhaps it is very important to note, im very much used to IPS and IPS response times. I find the color quality and brightness was more immersing than any of its pitfalls breaking immersion.

I suppose if one came from OLED they might notice these downfalls quickly, but man, im trying when I game to see them, but I keep coming back to the conclusion this is the best looking monitor I have ever owned for gaming and it feels perfectly smooth to me.

Also, we should race sometime! Haha

It seems you are pulling this stuff out of 32m2v while imaging what PG32UQX looks like.

I've played Horizon in many scenarios. I don't even notice it. You are likely to wait for another 3 years for a HDR1400 monitor with a better response time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back