PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should watch 4K HDR10/Dolby content such as House of Dragon or Rings of Power too, in addition to games. It looks stunning on this display, and really allows you to see the benefits of VESA Display HDR1400 (high color volume and gamut).

So I just got my pg32uqx and I love it, but I didn't realize beforehand how much space it would take on my 27'' depth desk. Using the original stand, it puts the display right in my face, so I need to turn my neck to look from one side to the other. My desk isn't facing a wall, so wall mounting isn't an option. What are my options? Is mounting it on some kind of monitor arm the only way to move it further away from my face?

So I just got my pg32uqx and I love it, but I didn't realize beforehand how much space it would take on my 27'' depth desk. Using the original stand, it puts the display right in my face, so I need to turn my neck to look from one side to the other. My desk isn't facing a wall, so wall mounting isn't an option. What are my options? Is mounting it on some kind of monitor arm the only way to move it further away from my face?
Asus makes this:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Supports-Compatible-Non-ASUS-Mounting/dp/B09LRMXRRJ

Or use a monitor arm.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

To maximize your space, there's also this:

VIVO Adjustable Single Monitor Mount for Sit-Stand Workstation, Desk Converter, Monitor Arm Fits 1 Screen up to 32 inches, STAND-V001U https://a.co/d/1uE9lvv

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello everyone, what did you select in display sdr input?
sRGB or Wide Gamut?
i see that in wide gamut seems over saturated, am i wrong?

I use the monitor for gaming and work
thanks

sRGB or Wide Gamut?

thanks
Oversaturated color is what you'll get mapping normal non-color aware content (ie 99% of everything mainstream) to wide gamut. The web and most software are SRGB color. We need OS/application level support to run 10/12 bit wide gamut on the display and properly map existing content to the SRGB color space. AFAIK the current status of that is similar to high DPI in Windows XP.

Picked up a PA32UCG for a much more reasonable price than MSRP (3600 AUD) and i have to say its quite a oddity and much less forgiving than the PG32UQX in terms of user friendly(not surprising) but the raft amount of extra image options along with 2.1 HDMI and close to 1900 peak brightness makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

If you enjoy accessing the menu every 30secs and debating weither HDR PQ DCI looks better than PQ Rec2020 you will love this screen.

Now to get a better understanding whats the ideal situation to use when consuming HDR content PQ_Optimised or PQ_Clip or PQ_Basic

So, what's the final verdict on this monitor? Considering finally picking one up for christmas for myself. We anticipating any real competition with the same HDR capabilities?

So, what's the final verdict on this monitor? Considering finally picking one up for christmas for myself. We anticipating any real competition with the same HDR capabilities?

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc-agon-pro-ag344uxm

HDR capability should be close as they are both IPS panels with 1152 dimming zones and 1400+ nits of peak brightness (The AOC even has a full field brightness of 1500 nits). Main difference being whether you want 4k at 144Hz or 1440p ultrawide at 170Hz. Motion clarity is far better on the AOC. I would also bet the AOC has less blooming than the PG32UQX because the 1% 2% window brightness levels aren't absurd like the Asus, there simply isn't enough dimming zones to push 1% and 2% windows that bright without significant blooming.

1667258036587.png

1667258042036.png

My only worry (and why I have stuck with my PG27UQ) is with a 4090, even 4K HDR at 144Hz is going to be limited with DLSS I think. Would love to see some 4K HDR monitors above 144Hz with full HDR and no shinanigans.

My only worry (and why I have stuck with my PG27UQ) is with a 4090, even 4K HDR at 144Hz is going to be limited with DLSS I think. Would love to see some 4K HDR monitors above 144Hz with full HDR and no shinanigans.
My goal has been 120-140fps GSYNC at the resolution I play. That’s been 1440P till now - but the 4090 looks like it’ll finally hit the target. I don’t do competitive games so this might be the right monitor if the quality is there and there’s nothing newer right around the corner.

Picked up a PA32UCG for a much more reasonable price than MSRP (3600 AUD) and i have to say its quite a oddity and much less forgiving than the PG32UQX in terms of user friendly(not surprising) but the raft amount of extra image options along with 2.1 HDMI and close to 1900 peak brightness makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

If you enjoy accessing the menu every 30secs and debating weither HDR PQ DCI looks better than PQ Rec2020 you will love this screen.

Now to get a better understanding whats the ideal situation to use when consuming HDR content PQ_Optimised or PQ_Clip or PQ_Basic
How did you manage to get one for less than RRP here in Australia? Have been thinking about picking one up but it and the PG32UQX never goes on sale

Looks like that new AOC 34inch MiniLED is now the brightness king over this. Can do 1500nits at a 100% window

How did you manage to get one for less than RRP here in Australia? Have been thinking about picking one up but it and the PG32UQX never goes on sale

If your just gaming would recommend the pg32uqx it's much more user friendly especially in the UI.

Got mine refurbished at scorptec

Has anyone here with a PG32UQX tried to calibrate the screen with the Windows HDR calibration APP? The Full screen and peak luminance calibration windows seem to disappear around 750 nits when using the app. Seems very odd.
VESA requires at 900nits full-field for 30 minutes for its HDR 1400 certification. ASUS must have the firmware tweaked down below the threshold.
I'm on studio drivers. It says 900nits. If it isn't a Nvidia driver issue. Then you can claim an RMA to have the firmware tweaked to override the max CLL.

sRGB or Wide Gamut?

thanks
This monitor is not made for mere sRGB. Wide Gamut uses Adobe color space to make SDR looks vibrant in gaming. I won't say it is over-saturated as sRGB is desaturated compared to real-life objects.

You need to
1. enable Wide Gamut.
2. use YCbCr 444 instead of sRGB in Nvidia Driver settings
3. turn up the brightness to make the color looks natural in Adobe color space.

Then SDR dynamic range will increase close to HDR 400. So basically what you see in SDR on this monitor is HDR 400.

I just leave the monitor in HDR mode 24/7... all I do when working is set brightness down in windows to 4%. EZ PZ and you get the full color space without the Wide Gamut issues when using RGB 444.

VESA requires at 900nits full-field for 30 minutes for its HDR 1400 certification. ASUS must have the firmware tweaked down below the threshold.
I'm on studio drivers. It says 900nits. If it isn't a Nvidia driver issue. Then you can claim an RMA to have the firmware tweaked to override the max CLL.
I think it may have been a Windows issue although I have yet to test it. I will run the app again and see what happens after a fresh install.

at this point is it even worth discussing these? most 576 count FLAD at 32" sound like vaporware given nothing has happened for over a year now and they might announce more shiny "stuff" at CES Jan 2023.

Ya 576 zone FALD is old tech now. FALD needs like 10K zones now to impress me.

Looks like that new AOC 34inch MiniLED is now the brightness king over this. Can do 1500nits at a 100% window
Are you talking about the Agon AG344UXM?

I like the specs, but why an ultrawide without a CURVE? I can't imagine 21:9 without a curve to help my eyes take in the whole image. And the color scheme is... really ugly! It screams "look at me, I'm a gamer monitor." I much prefer the more reserved colors of Viewsonic's Elite line. Even Samsung's C9 and C8 have better looks.

at this point is it even worth discussing these? most 576 count FLAD at 32" sound like vaporware given nothing has happened for over a year now and they might announce more shiny "stuff" at CES Jan 2023.
Of course it is worth it.

A panel like AUO M320QAN02.6 is going to stay ahead until 2024. No other panel can do what it does.

The next year is still about the mid-tier variations such as Agon AG344UXM.

Agon AG344UXM backlight is the cheaper sub 100KHz hybrid PWM. It only has peak brightness, not sustained. The panel cannot cover 80% Rec 2020 either. It's a mid-tier specs.

Last edited:
So, I decided to pick one of these up... All I have to say is the QC from ASUS is absolute GARBAGE. Do not buy one online and go in store if you can. I got mine from MC, they had 3 in stock, I went through 2 of them in 4 hours only to hopefully get a good one on the third try. The first one died within an hour; crazy white boxes started to appear everywhere and then "poof" dead. The second one the power supply instantly tripped my overload. Glad I bought the $200 2-year MC coverage, so I don't have to deal with ASUS if this thing dies after my 30 days. I'm not so convinced it will last, but I guess we will see.

Now, I am on my third one, and so far all seems well. 144Hz with HDR1400 on at 10bpc. 32" in definitely a step up in size from my 27" PG27UQ. Only played a handful of games to test so far, so I am not yet able to compare to my PG27UQ fairly, but so far it does look very nice in the games I have tested. I even got some COD:MW2 in at 144Hz and did not notice any ghosting or blooming, so that's a plus for an IPS panel.

Not sure how long this monitor will remain "king" but seeing as a RTX 4090 is still DP1.4 and this uses DSC anyway, I imagine maybe another year or so before some real competition exists in this arena of higher frequency 4K with Gsync and HDR 1400nits (windows says im actually rated at 1566nits & certified). Most my games at 4K on a 3090 still can't push 144 FPS anyway fully maxed. A 4090 might look to at least push 144FPS fully maxed on stuff finally without DLSS. So hopefully will be good for at least 2 years.

Considering the price; I am fairly disappointed at the QC from ASUS tho...

A 32? Lol you'll get used to it in no time. Don't even bother It'll be a non-issue soon enough.

So, I decided to pick one of these up... All I have to say is the QC from ASUS is absolute GARBAGE. Do not buy one online and go in store if you can. I got mine from MC, they had 3 in stock, I went through 2 of them in 4 hours only to hopefully get a good one on the third try. The first one died within an hour; crazy white boxes started to appear everywhere and then "poof" dead. The second one the power supply instantly tripped my overload. Glad I bought the $200 2-year MC coverage, so I don't have to deal with ASUS if this thing dies after my 30 days. I'm not so convinced it will last, but I guess we will see.

Now, I am on my third one, and so far all seems well. 144Hz with HDR1400 on at 10bpc. 32" in definitely a step up in size from my 27" PG27UQ. Only played a handful of games to test so far, so I am not yet able to compare to my PG27UQ fairly, but so far it does look very nice in the games I have tested. I even got some COD:MW2 in at 144Hz and did not notice any ghosting or blooming, so that's a plus for an IPS panel.

Not sure how long this monitor will remain "king" but seeing as a RTX 4090 is still DP1.4 and this uses DSC anyway, I imagine maybe another year or so before some real competition exists in this arena of higher frequency 4K with Gsync and HDR 1400nits (windows says im actually rated at 1566nits & certified). Most my games at 4K on a 3090 still can't push 144 FPS anyway fully maxed. A 4090 might look to at least push 144FPS fully maxed on stuff finally without DLSS. So hopefully will be good for at least 2 years.

Considering the price; I am fairly disappointed at the QC from ASUS tho...
DAmn, many people have had these stories. Luckily the one I bought on launch day is flawless, and still works perfectly. Glad ASUS has a 3 year warranty on these compared to most displays at only 1 year.

So this PG32UQX is on sale on Amazon again for $2300.... lol. VERY tempting... :(
2300?? Holy shit. How bout considering the 50” QN90B for a little over a grand? I guess the size isn't for everyone but I've waited for years for something in the 45-50" size lol no way I can go back to anything smaller I would need some new thick glasses lol. It's like going back to the original 3.5" iphone after using the new 6.8" one you just can't go back. I guess what I'm saying is you might not know what you are missing unless you try it for a week ? My two cents lol

2300?? Holy shit. How bout considering the 50” QN90B for a little over a grand? I guess the size isn't for everyone but I've waited for years for something in the 45-50" size lol no way I can go back to anything smaller I would need some new thick glasses lol. It's like going back to the original 3.5" iphone after using the new 6.8" one you just can't go back. I guess what I'm saying is you might not know what you are missing unless you try it for a week ? My two cents lol
With the screen 1.5-2 ft from me, I don't think that would work very well. TVs only work if you're a ways away from them - and then you have to kick the scaling on the text to the point that it doesn't make much sense except for entertainment.

Gotta have options for mixed use too.

With the screen 1.5-2 ft from me, I don't think that would work very well. TVs only work if you're a ways away from them - and then you have to kick the scaling on the text to the point that it doesn't make much sense except for entertainment.

Gotta have options for mixed use too.
Honestly, It's nothing anyone can't get used to. It's more of a preference thing. Everything is better in every way from working to reading to entertainment like you say. Making a friendly argument, anything smaller doesn't really make sense because you would need to pull it in closer to you. Screen real estate is a luxury in my opinion. Smaller screens are at the disadvantage in every way for me. Harder to read and harder to play game and work. And I have great vision. You know what I mean? Different perspective.

Honestly, It's nothing anyone can't get used to. It's more of a preference thing. Everything is better in every way from working to reading to entertainment like you say. Making a friendly argument, anything smaller doesn't really make sense because you would need to pull it in closer to you. Screen real estate is a luxury in my opinion. Smaller screens are at the disadvantage in every way for me. Harder to read and harder to play game and work. And I have great vision. You know what I mean? Different perspective.
I've got a system hooked up to a 42" 4K screen - it's really only usable for games and movies. The few times I've tried to do productivity work on it, it's basically a single screen at a middling resolution after scaling, and if you're running no scaling, you get more screen space - but can't actually read anything. It's about 4.5 ft from where the chair is. Not sure how I'd ever accomplish much on that as it is, and getting closer - well, just get a screen that fills your view, wherever that might happen to be ~shrug~

EG: a 42" 4k at 200% scaling is pretty much a 20-something inch 1080p screen.

32" is about as big as I can go for my use case and distance. I am about 1.5' ~ 2' away from my screen, even closer if I lean in. I also WFH on my PC, so my 4K monitors need to be close and I need to be able to read small text as well.

Yea that's the thing, in a small monitor if you scale up to lean back in your seat you pretty much have no screen real estate to work with. The 32 quickly runs out of space jumbling everything up making it look like a 1024x768 size on a small screen. On a larger screen you have the luxury of scaling as big or as small as you want. 150 is the sweet spot for me. 175 if I wanna learn back. I have the screen space to do whatever I want. No issue at all. I read what you guys are saying but they are all no issues. You just more flexibility with a bigger screen. I have a 32. No feeling of being cinematic. It's tiny in comparison. It needs to be closer. I hate having it close. It strains your eyes. Further back, whatever scaling you want, whatever brightness you want. Can't beat that in my opinion.

The latest version of PG32UQX is still made in May 2022. I had been asking the VESA DisplayHDR parameters of this monitor to see if there is anything changed in the firmware.
If you translate the info on the package, these monitors are all assembled in Qisda factory where the city was right under lockdown in May.

Yea that's the thing, in a small monitor if you scale up to lean back in your seat you pretty much have no screen real estate to work with. The 32 quickly runs out of space jumbling everything up making it look like a 1024x768 size on a small screen. On a larger screen you have the luxury of scaling as big or as small as you want. 150 is the sweet spot for me. 175 if I wanna learn back. I have the screen space to do whatever I want. No issue at all. I read what you guys are saying but they are all no issues. You just more flexibility with a bigger screen. I have a 32. No feeling of being cinematic. It's tiny in comparison. It needs to be closer. I hate having it close. It strains your eyes. Further back, whatever scaling you want, whatever brightness you want. Can't beat that in my opinion.
We’re just gonna go with “I disagree - lemme know when you have 15 active windows open and we’ll talk.”

It’s a screen. Why do I want excel to be cinematic?!?

Also- to quote- it needs to be closer, but you hate having it close? You should either work on your words, or … well, language. I have no idea what you’re saying. I’m mighty curious what you do with your computers…. Because my use cases won’t work on a single 4K screen at that size.

Photoshop/Lightroom/gaming/general use love the screen real estate. Not that hard to understand? Lol

It’s a screen. Why do I want excel to be cinematic?!?

Also- to quote- it needs to be closer, but you hate having it close? You should either work on your words, or … well, language. I have no idea what you’re saying. I’m mighty curious what you do with your computers…. Because my use cases won’t work on a single 4K screen at that size.
Oh yeah, I know you like the 32 I had one for years. I was just chiming into this thread from a value point. I think the qn90b is a better value, at half the price and almost double the size, but you have to be ok with the size which is mainly a matter of getting used to. That's my point. Everyone likes a different size of course.

Oh yeah, I know you like the 32 I had one for years. I was just chiming into this thread from a value point. I think the qn90b is a better value, at half the price and almost double the size, but you have to be ok with the size which is mainly a matter of getting used to. That's my point. Everyone likes a different size of course.
I have 27/24, 27/27/27(16x10 for the last), and a G9, and a pre c series LG. All of the above. The G9 is great for productivity and games are hit or miss. The LG 4K is only good for entertainment, but I guess it could do ok at video or image editing- but nothing with text on a screen (scaling is just a 24” 1080p screen; that was 2009), and the middle one is good for anything and has a pro art display for accuracy if I have to do photo or video work. But it’s 1920x1200. The rest are 1440 because I’m close to them - a 4K screen would literally dwarf me at that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back