PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm big fan of oled since the first days but people really defend their new toy and it's annoying. OLED HDR is barely a HDR. Most of the wow factor comes from the big size and the glossy screen.
Well said.

Last edited:
Yup there's none. OLED remorse buyers are starting to hallucinate.

Looking closer it could be a light reflection as he does have some weird freaky light show going on in his room.

But regardless -

At the end of the day you can preach about this monitor from the roof tops but it has issues. It IS a great HDR monitor anyone who argues that is delusional but the yellow glow IS a defect/abnormality of this display. It's a problem with how the algorithm operates for the fald.It's not a trick of the eyes, it's not blooming, it is in fact a problem that occurs on all displays to some degree. It might not effect you a lot but it is an unacceptable problem for this monitor especially for it's price point.

Unlike some blooming or slow response times that are a limitation of the tech this does appear to be an Asus issue. The only hope of ever potentially having it fixed is more people recognize it and report it to Asus.

Last edited:
That isn't from the panel. That's light reflection.

are-you-serious-spiderman.gif

View attachment 412238

lol hullo???

At the end of the day you can preach about this monitor from the roof tops but it has issues. It IS a great HDR monitor anyone who argues that is delusional but the yellow glow IS a defect/abnormality of this display. It's a problem with how the algorithm operates for the fald.It's not a trick of the eyes, it's not blooming, it is in fact a problem that occurs on all displays to some degree. It might not effect you a lot but it is an unacceptable problem for this monitor especially for it's price point.

Unlike some blooming or slow response times that are a limitation of the tech this does appear to be an Asus issue. The only hope of ever potentially having it fixed is more people recognize it and report it to Asus.
Looks like light reflecting in the room.

If someone can find me the video/animation of the wallpaper I will make a video to settle if there is banding or not. No need for arguing.

Edit: Found it. It's not blooming, but indeed light reflection from maybe RGB stripes or just light in the room.
However the small particles coming from the center of the animation do cause blooming.
Edit 2: I'm uploading videos with FALD 3, 2, 1. He turned it to Fald 1 or Fald off, because in 3, 2 and 1 there is visible blooming from the side.

I was wondering why there was no blooming ingame, but I think that should settle it.

Last edited:
I guess ASUS told him to turn FALD off, so no one can see what it looks like in real life:
FALD 3

FALD 2

FALD 1

Is this what you do all day long? Looking for videos to bash FALD? Man you must be fun at parties
I mean you bash it constantly for the yellow glow, which many hardly notice and is only reproduced in certain situations…and then when you are wrong about the yellow glow, you move on to the blooming and how bad it is. I think everyone on here gets that this monitor has its faults and isn’t perfect.

Is this what you do all day long? Looking for videos to bash FALD? Man you must be fun at parties
No reason to get personal for sharing opinions and observations.
I acknowledged that I made a false assumption when it thought there was banding, instead there was blooming so I thought this was relevant enough to show. The reviewer obviously turned FALD off to supposedly conceal the drawbacks of the monitor.

If someone sees this, he/she/they can make informed decisions if this monitor is the right for them or not.

Also providing a cautionary tale that you should never trust reviewers.

No reason to get personal for sharing opinions and observations.

If someone sees this, he/she/they can make informed decisions if this monitor is the right for them or not.

Also providing a cautionary tale that you should never trust reviewers.
I’d trust a reviewer over your cell phone videos any day. But that’s just me.

I’d trust a reviewer over your cell phone videos any day. But that’s just me.
Why don't you try it yourself if you don't believe me? :) Certainly your eyes will see it, if you don't trust my cell phone.

Why don't you try it yourself if you don't believe me? :) Certainly your eyes will see it, if you don't trust my cell phone.
I have and there is blooming for sure, not as bad as your videos make it. I’ve accepted it isn’t perfect, but I don’t sit here and bash it in every post. I have accepted its faults, but the positives far outweigh any of the monitors shortcomings.

I have and there is blooming for sure, not as bad as your videos make it.
Great, so that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, just as much as I am to mine. Mine is blooming just as the videos show it. I test every video on another monitor I have to make sure that the video accurately displays what I see.
I’ve accepted it isn’t perfect, but I don’t sit here and bash it in every post.
There is a tendency of negative sentiment to my posts, but I don't bash it in every post I have made, neither have I never said a good thing about it.
I have accepted its faults, but the positives far outweigh any of the monitors shortcomings.
I don't accept it's faults. Also I disagree that the positives outweigh the negatives. So what do we do now? Would it make you happy if I stop posting my observations because your feelings are hurt?

Last edited:
Great, so that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, just as much as I am to mine. Mine is blooming just as the videos show it. I thest every video on another monitor I have to make sure that the video accurately displays what I see.

There is a tendency of negative sentiment to my posts, but I don't bash it in every post I have made, neither have I never said a good thing about it.

I don't accept it's faults. Also I disagree that the positives outweigh the negatives. So what do we do now? Would it make you happy if I stop posting my observations because your feelings are hurt?
Then don’t accept its faults and sell it. You talk about people making informed decisions but…

A.) you won’t say where you bought the monitor that has all these defects and you’d return it if you could but they won’t allow it?
B.) what country you live in?

So if you want people to read this post and make informed decisions on the monitor, don’t you think people in your country would want to avoid buying from this distributor? You claim it’s because of privacy, which is an absolute joke, you sound like a conspiracy theorist to be honest.

Then don’t accept its faults and sell it. You talk about people making informed decisions but…
What I do with my property is none of your concern.
A.) you won’t say where you bought the monitor that has all these defects and you’d return it if you could but they won’t allow it?
Where I buy my stuff from and where I live is non of your or anyone elses concern and also not relevant in my opinion. What information I disclose is none of your business. You have no right or authority to demand anything from me.
So if you want people to read this post and make informed decisions on the monitor, don’t you think people in your country would want to avoid buying from this distributor?
No. I don't think so. I think I provide more value through other means of information.
You claim it’s because of privacy, which is an absolute joke, you sound like a conspiracy theorist to be honest.
Why I won't disclose personal information, and for what reasons is also none of your business. Also again please stop with the personal attacks. Thank you.

So if you want people to read this post and make informed decisions on the monitor, don’t you think people in your country would want to avoid buying from this distributor? You claim it’s because of privacy, which is an absolute joke, you sound like a conspiracy theorist to be honest.
While I do think jt39 observations does contribute alot to perspective buyers, I do tend to agree he comes across as one of those conspiracy theorist nuts. Not saying he is, it just comes across as such with his refusal to say what country he bought it from. There could be fellow country men who is reading this thread that could clue them into buying from distributor for said county.

Any FALD is much worse when viewed off axis. What's the point of making off-axis videos? Just do the blooming test head on. Oh wait, then it makes the blooming far less perceptible and you have your answer. Virtually no one views a computer monitor far off-axis.

Any FALD is much worse when viewed off axis. What's the point of making off-axis videos? Just do the blooming test head on. Oh wait, then it makes the blooming far less perceptible and you have your answer.
It was to show the point that the uploader turned FALD off when making the shot. This suggests to me that at least he apparently must have had some knowledge about the monitors downsides but chose not to show it. Either he knew about it, then he is not credible or he did not know about it, then he is not a good reviewer (if he claims to be one).
Virtually no one views a computer monitor far off-axis.
Also I would vehemently like to disagree with the claim that 'Virtually no one views a monitor far off-axis'. If that were the case, why does the ASUS ProArt have a OCO layer to reduce exactly this kind of blooming?

"Moreover, ASUS Off-Axis Contrast Optimization (OCO) technology reduces halo effects from wide viewing angles." Maybe if someone is collaborating on a work project.

If someone is sitting next to you watching you play a computer game on your PG32, they probably have bigger issues to deal with than being irritated with off-axis blooming.

Why off angle though. Local dimming will be more noticeable if you view it like this.
I already replied to that criticism.
It was to show the point that the uploader turned FALD off when making the shot. [...]
Moreover I don't see any reason not to include it as a reference, in case someone was wondering how it looks (maybe in comparison with the PA where photos already have been posted).
"Moreover, ASUS Off-Axis Contrast Optimization (OCO) technology reduces halo effects from wide viewing angles." Maybe if someone is collaborating on a work project.
Yes the OCO-Layer is integrated for that reason in the ProArt-Series.
If someone is sitting next to you watching you play a computer game on your PG32, they probably have bigger issues to deal with than being irritated with off-axis blooming.
I don't get what you mean by that.

I mean, who is watching other people play PC games on a computer monitor, which is distinctly a single player experience? It has to be an incredibly small amount of people.

Now I could see if we were talking about playing a console on a couch with a bunch of people, then yes I think viewing angles would be more important.

Wasn't there someone that bought both the PG32 and the Proart? From what I remember, they didn't find the head on blooming between the two any different. That would be the most important I think.

The PG32 does have a blooming problem. But it also does other things very well. Playing BF2042 on the new maps on my PG32 in HDR with graphics maxed is very impressive. It would be nice to get the blooming down to what my Q90A does, which is quite good.

I mean, who is watching other people play PC games on a computer monitor, which is distinctly a single player experience? It has to be an incredibly small amount of people.

Now I could see if we were talking about playing a console on a couch with a bunch of people, then yes I think viewing angles would be more important.

Wasn't there someone that bought both the PG32 and the Proart? From what I remember, they didn't find the head on blooming between the two any different. That would be the most important I think.

The PG32 does have a blooming problem. But it also does other things very well. Playing BF2042 on the new maps on my PG32 in HDR with graphics maxed is very impressive. It would be nice to get the blooming down to what my Q90A does, which is quite good.
Couldn't agree more, BF2042 is stunning on this monitor....4K maxed graphics with a FTW 3090 is a sight to be hold

I mean, who is watching other people play PC games on a computer monitor, which is distinctly a single player experience? It has to be an incredibly small amount of people. Now I could see if we were talking about playing a console on a couch with a bunch of people, then yes I think viewing angles would be more important.
Why are we even arguing about that? It's an issue that can be a problem for some people, we all acknowledge it. Done.
Yes there was. He noted that the blooming algo on the PA was different because the PA was reducing blooming when the image was static. The PG doesn't do that.
Also blooming from off-axis was reduced. So I hope we can agree on that too: Tthat there is a use case for it and it would have been nice to have it. Especially at that price point.
For example I was hoping to do some HDR work stuff too, but since the PG's FALD is horrible in that sense, I have to turn FALD off which makes it no better than my over 7 year old PA monitors which then only cost 1,5k new.
I agree with this statement, although I don't have BF2042. When the image is overall bright but not dim/dark/cloudy or contrasty, it looks pretty good. For anything else mentioned it fails IMO.
I don't have an OLED so I can't comment on that.

shopBLT estimates getting units by 12/1. This probably coincides with when Newegg and B&H will be getting their delayed round two stock.

Looks like light reflecting in the room.
I wouldn't be surprised if jt39 works for LG. It's safe to ignore him.

I wouldn't be surprised if jt39 works for LG. It's safe to ignore him.
First I didn't own the monitor, then I'm lying about the RMA to make the monitor look bad, then I'm a conspiract theorist, now I'm working for LG. Man I have a busy schedule...
And I'm the conspiracy theorist. Ha... Lets see what you find out next.

Fact is, the monitor has drawbacks. But pointing them out is a risky trade it seems. It's just a product, why are you so defensive?

I guess ASUS told him to turn FALD off, so no one can see what it looks like in real life:
in real life i dont see monitor from side...i see it on frontview, blooming is much more visible from side, oco layer is for this on ucg or pk. much situations have always zero bloom on frontview and bloom from side.

all real owner of miniled display know this :)

Any FALD is much worse when viewed off axis. What's the point of making off-axis videos? Just do the blooming test head on. Oh wait, then it makes the blooming far less perceptible and you have your answer. Virtually no one views a computer monitor far off-axis.

yes exactly

Also I would vehemently like to disagree with the claim that 'Virtually no one views a monitor far off-axis'. If that were the case, why does the ASUS ProArt have a OCO layer to reduce exactly this kind of blooming?

because oco layer is for work, when i want share my project/work to my customer and him sit beside me

in real life i dont see monitor from side...i see it on frontview, blooming is much more visible from side, oco layer is for this on ucg or pk. much situations have always zero bloom on frontview and bloom from side.

all real owner of miniled display know this :)
It's safe to ignore him. He's basically been wrong or misleading about everything he said up until now, has been making a lot of things up, and clearly has an agenda.

I see lots of debates about PG32UQX local dimming and the algorithm. Is it really bad ? I mean i have Acer X27 FALD and it's breathtaking. I can only imagine they improved it and made it even better. Only difference i saw from reviews is the most aggressive fald setting have inverse blooming which is not the case with my X27. I use it with most aggressive setting and it's fine 99.99% of the time.
Can someone share the service menu of 32UQX. I'm really curious what they did with the new iteration. X27 uses ''auto'' ''4000'' tonemapping and locked 80 reference white. 80 is about 30% brighter than it should(i've measured it) so not perfectly tuned. Tonemapping depends on content. If maxcll is reported to the display it uses that value to tonemap, if not it defaults to 4000nits tonemapping which isn't great tbh (makes 1000nit content 600nit). Sometimes it uses locked 1015 nits profile i assume it's 1415 on PG32UQX.

Last edited:
I see lots of debates about PG32UQX local dimming and the algorithm. Is it really bad ? I mean i have Acer X27 FALD and it's breathtaking. I can only imagine they improved it and made it even better. Only difference i saw from reviews is the most aggressive fald setting have inverse blooming which is not the case with my X27. I use it with most aggressive setting and it's fine 99.99% of the time.
Can someone share the service menu of 32UQX. I'm really curious what they did with the new iteration. X27 uses ''auto'' ''4000'' tonemapping and locked 80 reference white. 80 is about 30% brighter than it should(i've measured it) so not perfectly tuned. Tonemapping depends on content. If maxcll is reported to the display it uses that value to tonemap, if not it defaults to 4000nits tonemapping which isn't great tbh (makes 1000nit content 600nit). Sometimes it uses locked 1015 nits profile i assume it's 1415 on PG32UQX.
I don't think anyone here knows how to get into the service menu. And No, Its not that bad. It is absolutely a step up compared to the X27 and PG27. With that said, It does tend to struggle more in certain scenes.

What do you mean ?

I hope someone discovers it.
It does an excellent job of dimming for a pure black/white content which is likely what it's tuned for.

Bloom is more prevalent and you get weird effects with dark tones (dark grey, dark blue, etc) such as a yellow glow, inverse halos etc.

I would recommend checking out PCMonitors YouTube review. He does a good job of showing some of the FALD strong points and abnormalities along with viewing angle comparisons etc.

It does an excellent job of dimming for a pure black/white content which is likely what it's tuned for.

Bloom is more prevalent and you get weird effects with dark tones (dark grey, dark blue, etc) such as a yellow glow, inverse halos etc.

I would recommend checking out PCMonitors YouTube review. He does a good job of showing some of the FALD strong points and abnormalities along with viewing angle comparisons etc.
Yeah that's the thing. My X27 doesn't have these problems except normal blooming of course. I guess miniled with way more zones on a big screen more challenging for the algorithm but still disappointing since older gen Gsync HDR FALD monitors doesn't have this problem.

I dunno why you guys are so obsessed with the blooming or local dimming performance on this monitor as if you stare at static content all day. It's a complete mess in motion.

I just got a PG35VQ which I expected to be even slower than this PG32 but to my surprise it's cleaner outside of pure black transitions.

I dunno why you guys are so obsessed with the blooming or local dimming performance on this monitor as if you stare at static content all day. It's a complete mess in motion.

I just got a PG35VQ which I expected to be even slower than this PG32 but to my surprise it's cleaner outside of pure black transitions.
Because it's the only real discussion point on this monitor. Take away the FALD and you have a generic slightly below average 4k display.

I saw those have been back in stock at a good price point. How bad is the black smear on it?

Reactions: jt39
like this
Yeah that's the thing. My X27 doesn't have these problems except normal blooming of course. I guess miniled with way more zones on a big screen more challenging for the algorithm but still disappointing since older gen Gsync HDR FALD monitors doesn't have this problem.
In some situations with tones of grey and blue in games, halos are more noticeable. But you really have to go out of your way to try and find these areas. Blooming around Crosshairs are something that can be noticeable in dark scenes that I think the 27in variants handles better.

Because it's the only real discussion point on this monitor. Take away the FALD and you have a generic slightly below average 4k display.

I saw those have been back in stock at a good price point. How bad is the black smear on it?
Mini-LED and the g-sync ultimate module and the peak brightness for HDR1400 cert are what make it super high end. Without those it would still be relatively high end-ish (so basically the PG32UQ) thanks to the pro/prosumer color space coverage and of course 4k + 144hz. Dell segments their Ultrasharps based on color space coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back