PG32UQX - ASUS 32" 4K 144 Hz HDR1400 G-Sync Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone gone from a PG27UQ / X27 to an OLED and then to the PG32UQX? I went from an X27 to a CX 48" and could never go back to the X27. HDR even with lower peak brightness is superior on the OLED because of the pinpoint brightness in small areas.

I recently upgraded to a G1 65" but am now tempted by the PG32UQX. The QC issues look like a nightmare compared to the 27" models based on the customer reviews. My X27 is flawless though.

Sitting 4 feet away from the CX 48" was less stressful on the eyes than using the X27. I sit 6 feet away from the G1 65".
Yeah I did exactly that and ended up selling the PG32UQX and came to the same conclusion as you regarding the CX. Although the monitor got far brighter for highlights, in games they account for very little area on screen so when comparing side by side the contrast advantage of the OLED had far more impact than a 10% highlight being 2x as bright while also polluting areas with bloom.

There are scenarios where the monitor really is amazing but like I said it's literally 20% of the time where it can flex it's brightness advantage where as the OLED's contrast literally carries 99% of content you consume.

TBH I don't think PC HDR games are where they need to be in order to fully leverage this display.

I am even considering the PA32UCG which has HDMI 2.1. The professional version will probably have superior QC as well. I wonder if VRR works with NVIDIA cards over HDMI 2.1 or DisplayPort. With Dolby Vision support, I could plug it into an Apple TV or media player for watching shows.

i have the 60hz UCX version and work fine with gsync compatible on displayport. my range is 40-60hz

Neo G9 is a VA panel so I would not expect much out of it when it comes to pixel response times.
Just instead of having bright smudges like on Asus you will have dark smudges like on any VA panel out there.
response_8.png

Typical VA panel issue with dark streaking. Here for G7

Actually this issue is known for almost as long as we have VA panels and in the past there was a period of time when VA monitors used a trick with pre-tilting black pixels (literally applying voltage for crystals to move other direction) to then move them to desired color and this actually eliminated these slow response times from black to darker shades. This trick had disadvantage in form of one additional frame of input lag but actually if they already have 240Hz then I see no reason why they could not add such feature as an option for those who would rather want better response times than lower input lag. With frame time of 4.166ms it would be imho completely passable input lag difference in this case. Unlike in the past when monitors had 60Hz and it was adding 16.66ms. I had VA monitor with this feature (Dell 2407wfp) and surprisingly it had no dark streaks at all. Well, it was not super fast by today's standards (advertised 6ms G2G 🤣 yeah...) but scale it up to today's faster panels and 240Hz which by itself improves response times and input lag and imho it would solve one of the biggest issues of VA panels and even beat fastest IPS panels.

Though personally I doubt they will add such thing.
It requires beefier electronics with more memory and probably panel electronics would need to allow such a feature in the first place.
I have expierenced VA dark smearing first hand like on the PG35VQ and it is much much worse than what the PG32UQX offers in terms of pixel response time performance.
The more I read about this monitor, the more tempted I am to take apart my PG27UQ and replace the fan with a not-so-cheap and rattling one and keep it running for awhile. Minus the dumb fan whose bearings are shot, its been a perfect monitor for me.. and at 27" 4K, the dot pitch is awesome.
You should. If you can build a PC you can do it. Just be careful not to break a connector or the plastic clips.

Yeah I did exactly that and ended up selling the PG32UQX and came to the same conclusion as you regarding the CX. Although the monitor got far brighter for highlights, in games they account for very little area on screen so when comparing side by side the contrast advantage of the OLED had far more impact than a 10% highlight being 2x as bright while also polluting areas with bloom.

There are scenarios where the monitor really is amazing but like I said it's literally 20% of the time where it can flex it's brightness advantage where as the OLED's contrast literally carries 99% of content you consume.

TBH I don't think PC HDR games are where they need to be in order to fully leverage this display.

Not just for highlights. The SDR brightness for games is far brighter on the PG32 versus my 48CX. Plus the PG has way better anti-reflection handling, which only helps it further. The PG also has wider color gamut and better colors, not to mention better near black detail which is a rough spot for OLED. Plus for me a 32" 4K form factor with 24 more Hz is simply better than 48" 120 Hz 4K for the desk.

Not just for highlights. The SDR brightness for games is far brighter on the PG32 versus my 48CX. Plus the PG has way better anti-reflection handling, which only helps it further. The PG also has wider color gamut and better colors, not to mention better near black detail which is a rough spot for OLED. Plus for me a 32" 4K form factor with 24 more Hz is simply better than 48" 120 Hz 4K for the desk.
plus u ll never get correct colors on commercial oled wrgb, will is always greenish/blueish

Yeah no denying the monitor is better at being a monitor. Where it failed for me though is not gaming but desktop use with the smear when scrolling. After using a OLED I just can't tolerate it given the entire reason for purchase was the form factor.

I have a G9 Neo preordered that can hopefully take this monitors place.

I personally think this is a side grade from a PG27UQ. You trade faster pixel response, higher PPI, less blooming for size, HDR brightness and less fan noise.

The only scenario it's a clear upgrade is when personal preference dictates the purchase. For me 27" is too small so I was desperate for something larger.

Yeah, I sit maybe 1.5~2 feet from my monitor; so 27" is a perfect size for my viewing field. I think the PG27UQ looks amazing in HDR games. Not sure what all this "smearing" is people are talking about on the new one in this thread, but have not noticed anything of the sort of my 27" UQ monitor and response time seems great. The black levels and contrast look amazing and close to what my older Plasma TV can do.

The PG27 is an exceptional display....extremely underrated IMHO.
Agreed. I need to find out if anyone here knows how to get into the "service menu" though. Wondering if there is a way to manually control the fan speed in there but so far google has not been helpful past "I got in there and don't know how I did it!" lol.

I am somewhat shaky on trying to replace the fan. I can probably do it as I have even replaced the screen on a smartphone before; but the thought of messing up a great monitor you can't get anymore by ripping some cable or breaking some clip makes me a bit nervous. At least with the phone, I was willing to trash it and get a new one if I broke it... :p

Yeah, I sit maybe 1.5~2 feet from my monitor; so 27" is a perfect size for my viewing field. I think the PG27UQ looks amazing in HDR games. Not sure what all this "smearing" is people are talking about on the new one in this thread, but have not noticed anything of the sort of my 27" UQ monitor and response time seems great. The black levels and contrast look amazing and close to what my older Plasma TV can do.

Agreed. I need to find out if anyone here knows how to get into the "service menu" though. Wondering if there is a way to manually control the fan speed in there but so far google has not been helpful past "I got in there and don't know how I did it!" lol.

I am somewhat shaky on trying to replace the fan. I can probably do it as I have even replaced the screen on a smartphone before; but the thought of messing up a great monitor you can't get anymore by ripping some cable or breaking some clip makes me a bit nervous. At least with the phone, I was willing to trash it and get a new one if I broke it... :p
Well if you do break it, you could always upgrade to its bigger bro the 32UQX!

regarding the PG27UQ...

I tried contacting Asus support to see if I could access the service menu (so I can lower the fan noise) and after many emails they sent this:

1629316665827.png

I'm not sure where else to post this but feel free to repost anywhere else but anyways that did not work for me but perhaps someone here will have better luck.

regarding the PG27UQ...

I tried contacting Asus support to see if I could access the service menu (so I can lower the fan noise) and after many emails they sent this:

View attachment 386226

I'm not sure where else to post this but feel free to repost anywhere else but anyways that did not work for me but perhaps someone here will have better luck.
WTF is the "i" button and the "Enter" button? I have Menu, X, Controller looking thingy, "G" Game Visual, and Power Button on my PG27UQ.... lol

Whoa, this is the first time I've ever experience image retention on an LCD before. I was listening to music played through my PC, stepped away for about an hour and a half. The PC turned off the DP input after 20 minutes, so then it auto switched over to HDMI input because my Denon receiver outputs an image of Spotify. So that static Denon Spotify image was up for over a little over an hour. I come back, start using the PC and I'm like uhh, what the heck is this faint image on my screen. I go to a solid grey color and I can still see the Denon Spotify image. I started to freak out. Of course you go to worse case and it's burnt it, but it took about 40 minutes to fully fade away.

Crazy..

Wow... I've seen it before, but that was a long time ago. I'm surprised that this caliber of panel in 2021 would ever have had that.

I was contemplating buying another and getting rid of this G9 Neo since HDR is still broken but the idea of image retention is worrying.

I just checked, and the image output from the Denon with the Spotify logo is really low resolution and shifts back and forth really quick, so not sure if that exacerbated the problem or what. If that is some sort of "Screen saver" function of the Denon.

Both my Neo's returned.

I have not experienced any image retention at all.
Was it true image retention or a backlight issue maybe?

Neo G9 is a VA panel so I would not expect much out of it when it comes to pixel response times.
Just instead of having bright smudges like on Asus you will have dark smudges like on any VA panel out there.
response_8.png

Typical VA panel issue with dark streaking. Here for G7
Nope, I have the NEO G9 and it is blazing fast, I actually think it may be the fastest VA panel out there by some margin. Just have a look at HWUB review, there is literally no smearing of any kind, and barely any overshoot. Seriously fast panel!

I have not experienced any image retention at all.
Was it true image retention or a backlight issue maybe?

True LCD panel image retention. It's not possible for the FALD backlight to make images like that.

Nope, I have the NEO G9 and it is blazing fast, I actually think it may be the fastest VA panel out there by some margin. Just have a look at HWUB review, there is literally no smearing of any kind, and barely any overshoot. Seriously fast panel!
They could perhaps make it less blazing fast by giving user more usable overdrive options so that user did not have to watch overdrive artifacts in all of them. They all seems like 'super hiper ultra fast' by other monitors standards.

The fact they were able to get to such low G2G fall/rise measurements means this is pretty fast panel. These artifacts also do not look too bad on photos so it might not be deal breaking flaw. I would however be very wary, especially since overdrive if it is too high can manifest in very ugly ways like strange flickering or even posterization/banding or false contouring. That is why it is always best to be able to tune it down or even disable completely. I mean if panel is fast then we do not need super hiper aggressive overdrive, especially for something like 24fps videos.

But yeah, monitor makers probably all have point in checklist "Add some annoying flaw to the product" and they all follow it diligently. That is at least my experience with monitors. If not by physical parameters of the panel they will screw up something else like eg. locking options. Locking overdrive setting to stupid values is common practice from the medieval 00s times :)

They could perhaps make it less blazing fast by giving user more usable overdrive options so that user did not have to watch overdrive artifacts in all of them. :)
This Neo G9 panel does not produce any real world artifacts, or noticeable overshoot as many user have reported. And they do offer lower overdrive settings and even a higher one. The overdrive I was quoting was only the middle setting.

Anyone else think the PA32UCG is a better buy? HDMI 2.1 & DP 1.4, VRR, no Gsync module and what appears to be a more sophisticated FALD.

Anyone else think the PA32UCG is a better buy? HDMI 2.1 & DP 1.4, VRR, no Gsync module and what appears to be a more sophisticated FALD.

No Gsync module probably means even worst response times since that's hardly a concern for a professional display.

Do it Socali, you know you want to. The itch for that perfect monitor is real.

Haha jkz man, just hold out another year.

Do it Socali, you know you want to. The itch for that perfect monitor is real.

Haha jkz man, just hold out another year.

There is no such thing as the perfect monitor which is why I have both a CX OLED and an Acer X27. I'm thinking about replacing my X27 with the soon to be released 43 inch Samsung QN90A Mini LED TV as my new high brightness HDR gaming screen, it can do 1600 nits according to RTings and probably won't have piss slow pixels as a cherry on top.

Reactions: DPI
like this
And blooming with PWM backlight according to them also.

PWM frequency is 960Hz, most likely won't be an issue for me especially since I can use backlight strobing for hours without getting headaches. As for the blooming kinda have to see it in person to judge but I don't expect it to be any worst than the PG32UQX or even my Acer X27 since it's a VA panel and Samsung typically does a decent job at minimizing blooming, of course there will always be some blooming present until we get >10,000 zone FALDs. If I do get a QN90A it would mostly be for super bright HDR games where having higher brightness is desired while my OLED will be used for games with darker scenes.

Can any of you guys and girls that have this monitor do a check for me please?

I've just had my third defective PG32UQX delivered and I’m about to give up on this thing.

If you disable the variable backlight and pull up a dark grey or black background, can you see what looks like a faint orange pressure mark around the size of a pencil eraser on the upper right quadrant of the panel?

All three of mine have had this issue in exactly the same place, with my first one having two additional points on the lower left.

For what it’s worth all three monitors were manufactured in April. At this point I’m actually starting to think that almost all of them have this issue.

Would someone be daring enough to check their monitor for me please? ;)
Hi Repelle, I have been reading through all these comments and my monitor has three spots that you mention in your post. They are way smaller than a pencil eraser and are almost impossible to see when the FALD is turned to 3 (at level 2 it is hard to see them too). I don't notice them at all when I am doing general applications and definitely not when gaming. I probably would look to RMA, but I bought this open box for 2250, I think that is an absolute steal at that price. I contacted ASUS and they said they would fix it, but I am not sure its even worth it to be honest, especially since I don't notice it at all and I spent 2250. I don't want to be without this thing for weeks on end and get it back with the same issue or worse as well. Hope you finally got a panel that is perfect.

Hmm, some food for thought. Take a look at the following images. The monitor on the left is the PG32UQX. The monitor on the right is the PA32UCG. Asus is clearly tuning these monitors differently even though they are supposed to be based on the same panel.
20210916_215813.jpg

Hmm, some food for thought. Take a look at the following images. The monitor on the left is the PG32UQX. The monitor on the right is the PA32UCG. Asus is clearly tuning these monitors differently even though they are supposed to be based on the same panel.

Are these similar fald settings? I think the PA32UCG comes with some fancy off axis viewing tech that they advertise for better contrast and color accuracy in the professional scene. It is also supposed to reduce blooming and what not I think. I thought it was a bunch of marketing BS but maybe it's legit.

You would think for 3k they could have included that on the X if the results are that good....then again why would anyone buy the UCG for 4k then.🤦‍♂️

Guys, please see this video from ASUS -

Basically, the PA32UCG has a layer in the monitor that substantially minimizes bloom/halo light leakage. They intentionally gimped the PG32UQX by omitting this filter, probably so as to not risk people thinking about saving $2000 by getting that instead of the PA32UCG. You can see on the ASUS product page for the PA32UCG, they make a big deal about this layer to minimize bloom/halo.

I believe they included this layer in the PG27UQ, which is why the bloom/halo effect was so much less on that monitor despite having far fewer zones.

Basically, the PA32UCG is the only acceptable FALD still in production on the market right now that has acceptable bloom/halo levels IMO.

There are other FALD monitors that should release by sometime next year from other companies (i.e. Viewsonic just announced one) that are 4K 32" FALD that are even faster than 144hz.... hopefully those will not be gimped.

Those are 32EP950 videos facing a sunlit window in the middle of the day. They look way better in a dark room.

Are these similar fald settings? I think the PA32UCG comes with some fancy off axis viewing tech that they advertise for better contrast and color accuracy in the professional scene. It is also supposed to reduce blooming and what not I think. I thought it was a bunch of marketing BS but maybe it's legit.

You would think for 3k they could have included that on the X if the results are that good....then again why would anyone buy the UCG for 4k then.🤦‍♂️

The PA32UCG has a different problem though. It lacks the Gsync module that the UCX has and that monitor already has piss slow response times despite having it. So just how bad are the response times on the UCG? Response times is usually one of the least concerning factors for a professional monitor used in content creation so I would imagine it will have less blooming but significantly slower response times than the already slow UCX.

The PA32UCG has a different problem though. It lacks the Gsync module that the UCX has and that monitor already has piss slow response times despite having it. So just how bad are the response times on the UCG? Response times is usually one of the least concerning factors for a professional monitor used in content creation so I would imagine it will have less blooming but significantly slower response times than the already slow UCX.

The PA32UCG and PG32UQX are literally the same panel. The off axis contrast enhancement is simply a layer of material inserted between the panel and backlight. It literally probably costs ASUS $20 to add this layer. This was basically an intentional gimping of the PG32UQX.

While the PA32UCG lacks gsync, it does support the absolute latest version of Freesync, which is actually quite good. It also supports HDMI 2.1 VRR which the PG32UQX lacks.

The PA32UCG also has a setting to enable 144hz, although ASUS does not advertise this.

The PA32UCG and PG32UQX are literally the same panel. The off axis contrast enhancement is simply a layer of material inserted between the panel and backlight. It literally probably costs ASUS $20 to add this layer. This was basically an intentional gimping of the PG32UQX.

While the PA32UCG lacks gsync, it does support the absolute latest version of Freesync, which is actually quite good. It also supports HDMI 2.1 VRR which the PG32UQX lacks.

The PA32UCG also has a setting to enable 144hz, although ASUS does not advertise this.

Well correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Gsync module ensure the most optimal/fastest response times along with variable overdrive? I know Asus has started to implement variable overdrive on their newest monitors but it doesn't seem to perform as well as the physical gsync module. So even if the two monitors use the same panel, that doesn't mean equal performance in response times due to better overdrive tuning on one monitor thanks to the use of Gsync module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back