72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • TwUcLvg.jpg
    TwUcLvg.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Z2L860b.jpg
    Z2L860b.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any other angles, pictures with sides off, or pics of completed builds?

120mm fans? I like it, and recently acquired a Zotac 1080 mini! Are you producing them, is this a general interest prior to mass production thread? Cost?

My favorite part are the dual fans you included. Airflow in ITX builds is very important and the extra volume they take up is always worth it in my opinion.

Can you upload a picture of the back. I'd like to see how the video card is secured.

you guys need to get to 100 posts before you can pm or use the fs/ft forum.

I think this might be what QuantumBraced has been wishing for.

Are there any side panels for this case? If not, then it is understandable that the temps would be the same as an open air test bench, because that is basically what we have here if there are no side panels.

I’m really happy to see the support for a couple of slim fans. My CustomMOD case that is about the same size and uses almost the same layout just can’t deal with hot components. That is why I have been interested in the ZS-A4m from Taobao. It’s just such a pain trying to order from Taobao in the U.S. I’m glad to see somebody else is making a case with this type of layout. I hope it’s a huge success!

There are side panels and they are made from steel wire mesh. It performs much better acoustically compared to sheet metal side panels as well.

Is your Custom mod case the 4.5 liter one?

I guess I just didn’t see the mesh very well in the pictures. Mesh is a good idea, the vent hole pattern in my custom mod doesn’t do very well with my new GPU (Gigabyte GTX 1080 mini ITX). There are ways to make vent patterns work, but I think your mesh idea seems like it will be a solution that should work for any GPU.

I have the CustomMOD flex mini from the second batch. Those were about 3.9L I believe. It was incredibly difficult to get my GPU in there because the case can’t come apart and while the overall length of the case is long enough to fit my GPU, the flanges on the sides make the opening too small to fit the card unless I remove the PCI bracket from the card. One of your pictures makes it look like the whole front of your case can be removed. That would have greatly simplified things if my case could have done that.

I have decided to move on to an MI-6 case because I want more room for a larger CPU cooler, but I wish you the best of luck with your case!

I think this might be what QuantumBraced has been wishing for.

Are there any side panels for this case? If not, then it is understandable that the temps would be the same as an open air test bench, because that is basically what we have here if there are no side panels.

I’m really happy to see the support for a couple of slim fans. My CustomMOD case that is about the same size and uses almost the same layout just can’t deal with hot components. That is why I have been interested in the ZS-A4m from Taobao. It’s just such a pain trying to order from Taobao in the U.S. I’m glad to see somebody else is making a case with this type of layout. I hope it’s a huge success!

Indeed. It's kind of amazing that he could fit 2 slim 80mm fans and still keep the volume at 4L.

The only issue is aesthetics. Sure, mesh is better for performance than a solid ventilated panel, but it looks bad IMO. I'm all for minimalist design, but it's a bit too much to just have loose mesh. It's a case, not a mosquito net. :D The other issue is, portability is a legitimate use case for a chassis like this, and mesh isn't really good for that. Maybe consider something like the side panels of the CustomMod Mini with the honeycomb design that have enormous holes:

72994_IMG_1023.jpg

It's not really vents, it's basically open-air with a few metal lines running through it, and you also basically get a "window" for free. You could do your own design, and maybe open up more of the panel. No dust filtration, but for a case like this where you'll have people pushing L9is to the absolute limit (you know someone will try to run a 9900K), it may be worth forgoing them. The case is so tiny and everything is so easily accessible, people can just clean it occasionally, or they can fashion their own filters if they like. If you make the side panels magnetic (with optional screws), it would make the internals easier to service.

And the same goes for the top - great idea with the exhaust fans, but it looks a little ugly :( It does need a panel IMO. And I would move the power button to the rear, above the GPU bracket.

Those are just a few thoughts, but great job overall, I really appreciate someone doing a case like this. I like the exposed screws, looks industrial in a cool way. If you push the FlexATX all the way to one wall, would there be room for a 2.5"?

The mesh looks better than expected. Very interesting. I've never been a big fan of the custom mod air cutout designs imo. Not pleasing to my eye. (Could just be my preference for symmetrical designs)

I'm intrigued by the visibility/airflow advantages it offers.

Ok, fair enough. I'm just not sure most people would go for the mesh. Maybe if it was more rigid, but from the pictures it looks pretty flimsy, like a magnetically held drape. I'm not sure how it would work in transport, does it have any structural rigidity? Seems like it wouldn't provide any real protection for the components, if it even manages to stay in place. But I get now that that's how you get to the small volume.

It looks flimsy in the pictures because it is bent, so it's not draping. When it's attached to the case, it feels sturdy.

maybe give it a rigid frame to keep the mesh taught. Shouldn't add too much, and will look better than the frayed mesh edges you can see in some pictures.

I just realized that the mesh you were talking about is in those pictures. I thought it was just some black cloth in the pictures. I agree that there needs to be something with more structural integrity than just a screen window. What would happen if you put this case in a backpack? I’m afraid that any little bump, or even the weight of the computer itself would deform the screens. Maybe just walking around with this case all by itself in your backpack could result in damage to the RAM slots or the CPU/GPU cooling fans. You definitely couldn’t grab the case by the sides to pick it up right?

This is interesting - when compared to lone industries L5 which has a similar layout, this has lower volume and supports full height mini itx gpus, while L5 only supports half height cards.
If I am looking at this right, the 2 fans are on the mobo side, how does the GPU get fresh air flow? The location of the fans are different, but it may not fully invalidate the testing below.

Quoted from the L5 testing on ssf forums
  • L5 (hacked up L4), Ryzen 2200G, NH-L9a (92x25mm), 1x 80x25 mm fan (positive): Max CPU: 79-82*C, MB: 49*C (20 min prime95 test, not heat soaked)
  • L5 (hacked up L4), Ryzen 2200G, NH-L9a (92x25mm), 1x 80x25 mm fan (negative): Max CPU: 89*C, MB: N/A (15 min prime95 test)
Note: Negative fan config (fans blowing out) failed pretty bad, which goes along with what you're saying. Had the positive fan config failed like the negative config, things would be different.

Last edited:
This case has a very different layout than the lone industries L5 - so comparison is not valid.

This case has a very different layout than the lone industries L5 - so comparison is not valid.

On second look, the large amount of mesh used might allow negative pressure to perform better? Or I missing something else, care to elaborate?

This is a back-to-back layout using a long flex riser, like the Dan A4-SFX or Louqe Ghost. The CPU and GPU both draw air in directly through the sides.

In contrast, the L5 is more of a conventional layout where the GPU is installed directly in the PCIe slot.

This is a back-to-back layout using a long flex riser, like the Dan A4-SFX or Louqe Ghost. The CPU and GPU both draw air in directly through the sides.

In contrast, the L5 is more of a conventional layout where the GPU is installed directly in the PCIe slot.

Yep, thats what i missed, completely different

Back