PCP&C Silencer MK III 1200 for Modern CPU/GPUs

I have a working and in good condition Silencer MK III 1200 which I bought for a build back in 2015. It has worked beautifully through upgrades, including 2 and 3 way sli setups, but the most recent cpu and gpu I’ve paired with it are a 9700K and single 2080 Ti (both overclocked on custom water loop).

What are your thoughts for pairing this PSU with a more power hungry modern cpu/gpu combo? A 13700K/13900K and 4080/4090 for example. I know it has plenty of rated wattage, but it’s also going on 8 years (so outside the 7 year warranty) and I’m sure there have been various incremental improvements in PSUs over recent years which may be important for powering newer cpus/gpus.

Not opposed to replacing it (expired warranty alone is enough reason to justify), I mostly just wanted to see what others thought.

Last edited:
you can try it. first thing it will do is shut off if theres an issue. kyle had issues with his high wattage but older psus cutting out on the newest gen cards.
i would pop the top and inspect the internals at least, look for warn caps or signs of heat(discoloring).
edit: this thread, with a 1000w: (1) Need some serious Trouble Shooting help. | [H]ard|Forum (hardforum.com)
That was a good read, thank you for digging up and sharing this! Maybe a good approach would be to pick up a newer PSU and have it on standby while I test the old one. If I run into issues, swap it. If I don’t, then just return the new one.

That was a good read, thank you for digging up and sharing this! Maybe a good approach would be to pick up a newer PSU and have it on standby while I test the old one. If I run into issues, swap it. If I don’t, then just return the new one.
no prob. that would be one way to do it, just dont open it.

Back