Pcie bifurcation X299 + 7820x

somebrains

[H]ard|Gawd
Do you guys know of any x299 boards that have bifurcation enabled on the 8x slot when using a 28 lane CPU?

Bifurcation like what ? Dividing those 8 lanes into 4 by 4 ?

Yes.
Every thread I've found has been using a 44-lane sky-x.

I know bifurcation is a bios feature.

Curious beside the EVGA dark, taichi, msi gaming carbon what other boards have the capability.

Reactions: aQi
like this
Asus and Gigabyte perhaps

Its not that only 44 lane cpu are described. In specification of motherboard it is clearly mentioned that lane distribution for cpus in terms of pci express bandwidth

There's no confusion about distribution.
I started the thread to see if anyone has used a 28 lane CPU, and split the 8x usually left to gpu2 into 4x-4x.

I need to expand out to 4 nvme drives.
Current board has 2x 960 Pros to pch, workloads aren't that latency sensitive.

I'm consolidating some monoliths at work and would like to see if nvme raid is even worthwhile.

Not like we don't have FC and iscsi shelves, it's more moving the workload to functions and K8's at scale I'd like the extra iops.

Totally separate issue than lane assignment.

It's like at some point if I can use the reaoucres, I'll go get a 7900x down the road just to build a larger storage pool.

Maybe Optane 905 sould be a sonsideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: aQi
like this
I gotta out this guy on ignore.
Single drive scaling my other pcie slots is not the issue, testing nvme raid with a pair of drives with respect to cores is what I'm doing here.

The simple answer is to grab something with a pair of Xeon gold's, throw a bunch of nvme drives in LUNs, and scream it's good.

You don't push onprem applications, or break monolithic applications into "serverless" and expect $ conscious performance if you do data center style moonshots with your resources.

Back