PCI configuration missing in vcenter configuration view?

danswartz

2[H]4U
So I had shut down one of my two esxi 6.7 hosts for a few days. Booted back up, and when it reconnected to vcenter, I can't see the PCI information anymore. You know, when you go to Configure => Hardware, and there are 4 lines: Processors, Memory, PCI Devices and Power Management? For the just-rebooted host, the 'PCI Devices' line is missing. Everything *seems* to be working okay, except maybe vcenter server is confused? Any ideas? It's not a killer at the moment, but there is a guest that I can't power up, because it has an HBA passed through that now is it not visible.

Can you view the PCI cards if you go to host gui, or boot up the VM from host gui?

So looking at both hosts, logged into the hosts themselves. On the good host, there are a bunch of grayed out entries, but several that aren't. I can specifically select quick filter and show 'passthrough capable', and it shows me several devices. On the bad host, 3 nics are visible (but disabled for passthrough.) The problematic one is the 12gb HBA that I need, which is grayed out. Do you know what that means? e.g. if the entry is grayed out?

And... that was it. Sorry for the wasted bandwidth...

Actually it might have helped me out with a problem I didnt even know I had.

Do you have the ability to manage PCI devices in the VCenter web UI, things like passing them through to VMs etc..? Up until now I thought the only way to manage any of that was through the ESXI/VSphere web UI. This is a screenshot of my Vcenter UI along with my ESXI one, im running 6.7 but I dont see the PCI device options in vcenter. Any idea how I would go about enabling those?

Attachments

• ESXI.PNG
    ESXI.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 0
  • VCenter.PNG
    VCenter.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 0
Actually it might have helped me out with a problem I didnt even know I had.

Do you have the ability to manage PCI devices in the VCenter web UI, things like passing them through to VMs etc..? Up until now I thought the only way to manage any of that was through the ESXI/VSphere web UI. This is a screenshot of my Vcenter UI along with my ESXI one, im running 6.7 but I dont see the PCI device options in vcenter. Any idea how I would go about enabling those?

I'm confused. I've never actually touched that stuff on the host GUI itself, only ever through the VCSA GUI.

Back