PC won't power down

M76

[H]F Junkie
This is more of a learn from my mistake post.

So long story short, I replaced the PSU in a computer that would randomly reboot and was producing strange issues.

After replacing the PSU everything seemed to work fine, it wouldn't reboot anymore or have in issues, except now you could not turn it off even if you wanted to.
Choosing shutdown or sleep in windows it would do the shutdown procedure and then immediately power back on again. Even if I turned it off via the power button it would turn back on.
The only way to turn it off was to cut power.

First i thought the MB went bad due to the faulty PSU that was replaced.
Nope it wasn't that. Turns out I did not push the ATX power connector all the way in due to the small space (ITX system) and board flex.
After forcing the connector all the way in, it turns off normally.

What are the chances of every actual power line making contact except for the one signalling the PSU to turn off? I thought it was the other way around, the PSU needed a signal to stay on, no?

Try reset bios. Maybe remove cmos battery and check it's voltage and set the clear jumper for a 30 secs or so then move jumper back and install battery. This requires a DVOM for the battery test.

Try reset bios. Maybe remove cmos battery and check it's voltage and set the clear jumper for a 30 secs or so then move jumper back and install battery. This requires a DVOM for the battery test.
Reading is fundamental. You didn't even read the first line, did you? Just the topic title, who needs anything else, right?

Learn something new every day. I wouldn't have expected an improperly seated power connector to keep you from shutting down. I'd think it would cause a won't turn on problem.

I just had a wouldn't shut off problem today. New Windows install, then ran Windows update and did an NVidia driver update and... won't shut down. Try to shut down or restart in Windows and it just logs me out and I end up back at the login screen. Ok, strange, but given all the trouble I've had over the years with sleep mode and NV drivers not surprising. Hard reset and everything seems to be back to normal. System reboots or shuts down normally, etc. Hopefully it's just some one-off problem caused by walking away while the NV driver update was installing and the machine going to sleep before I got back to it.

Reactions: M76
like this
My guess is one of the missing power or ground pins (or them having a high resistance from poor contact) was causing some kind of latch up in the power management controller and not letting it release the PS-ON signal.

Reactions: M76
like this
Oh I apologize for being tired and trying to be helpful. A mistake I won't make with you again.
I'm pretty sure you'll make it again, as your ego is clearly telling you you didn't really make a mistake, but you see, ego is a bitch, it makes you look bad more often than not.

Back