Pc shutting off when playing games

Ryan Young

n00b
My gaming pc is shutting off when I’m in a game. I play war zone on medium/ high settings also I’m having to play at a lower FPS rate so it won’t shut off. There are a couple of videos on YouTube saying that it could be the cpu cooler.
Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
Asrock b450 pro 4 motherboard
16 gb ram
Asus 1070 turbo 8gb gpu
1 tb of hard drive
256 boot drive
What is wrong with my pc?

Appears to be overheating problem. My guess is your case does not flow near enough air to supply CPU and GPU with needed cool intake air. What happens then is componet coolers re-use their own heated exhaust air to make get the air they are flowing though cools .. so the longer game goes the air being used becomes hotter and hotter until shutdown. Keep in mind every degree warmer the air is entering cooler becomes same degrees hotter that component is (at same load and fan speed). So if your room is 22c, air entering coolers is 24c (always a little warmer than room) and component is 60c, if you raise the air temp entering cooler to 44c the compents will be 80c. Raise air temp entering coolers 40c and components are 100c and they shut down.

Link below to basic guide of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow might be helpful. We need to know what case and case fan configuration you have to be able to give educated suggestions. ;)
https://hardforum.com/threads/basic-guide-to-improving-case-airflow.1987938/

PSU flaking is possible, it could be any of a number of other possiblities like CPU or GPU flaking out. But most common problem is system overheating. We need more info from OP; like what CPU and GPU temps are when it's shutting down. Just knowing component temps will determine if it's a PSU or a heat issue.

My gaming pc is shutting off when I’m in a game. I play war zone on medium/ high settings also I’m having to play at a lower FPS rate so it won’t shut off. There are a couple of videos on YouTube saying that it could be the cpu cooler.
Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5 1600 with stock cooler
Asrock b450 pro 4 motherboard
16 gb ram
Asus 1070 turbo 8gb gpu
1 tb of hard drive
256 boot drive
What is wrong with my pc?
What kind of power supply do you have? How old is it? When the system just shuts off completely, that's usually an indication of a power supply problem. This system should have pretty low power requirements, though.

It could also be that the motherboard VRM is overheating, if this board happens to be equipped with a VRM that has over temeperature protection. I don't think this is a CPU or GPU temperature problem - you usually get different behavior when those get triggered.

Have you checked your CPU temps? https://openhardwaremonitor.org

A system consistently shutting off after a sustained load is almost always heat or power related. If your temps are good I'd look at your PSU. If your temps are bad check your airflow and make sure the paste on your CPU cooler hasn't dried up or that the cooler isn't full of dust.

PSU flaking is possible, it could be any of a number of other possiblities like CPU or GPU flaking out. But most common problem is system overheating. We need more info from OP; like what CPU and GPU temps are when it's shutting down. Just knowing component temps will determine if it's a PSU or a heat issue.

Yeah specs don't tll us anything, especially no PS listed.

Back