PC shuts down during AOE2&3 multiplayer

My son's PC seems to sometimes shut down and reboot in the middle of multiplayer AOE II and AOE III. It doesn't seem to happen during single player nor in other games. No clue what is causing it...

Mobo was a MSI B450 A Pro Max and now a B550 steel legend, so that isn't it...
CPU is a 5800x
GPU is a 3080
These are both on a custom loop and neither of these break a sweat in these games.

I have the supplies to swap out the GPU and CPU, but not sure why they would be causing the whole system to reboot.

Then there is the PSU...but why would it be the PSU? It seems to handle running Valley, which is way more taxing.

Anyone with a clue????

What is the psu and how old is it? Also, is automatic reboot on bsod disabled?

There are threads regarding AOE and AOE2 rebooting PCs going back to like 2019 on the Googles. I didn’t dig too deep but it seems like it’s possibly not even hardware related. Check into those and try some stuff before tearing the PC down.

I'd go with:

1) Bad PSU
2) Bad Motherboard
3) Bad CPU
4) Bad RAM.

I'd first try a different known good quality PSU. If that doesn't fix it, make sure the motherboard has the latest BIOS installed. If that doesn't work, run Memtest for a few passes to check the RAM. Then finally, run Prime95 or some other CPU stress tester to see if there's something wrong with the CPU. I've encountered more than a few defective Ryzen CPUs over the years.

I'd go with:

1) Bad PSU
2) Bad Motherboard
3) Bad CPU
4) Bad RAM.

I'd first try a different known good quality PSU. If that doesn't fix it, make sure the motherboard has the latest BIOS installed. If that doesn't work, run Memtest for a few passes to check the RAM. Then finally, run Prime95 or some other CPU stress tester to see if there's something wrong with the CPU. I've encountered more than a few defective Ryzen CPUs over the years.
Replaced the PSU, put in some different RAM sticks and I'm on my second MB. All that and it happened again. Then I turned on the monitoring stuff in afterburner and tried to recreate it exactly. Watched the temps on both the GPU and CPU; neither got above about 75C, RAM usage was maybe 7ish GB. No errors.

So then I decided well, maybe it is a stray foot hitting the power cord or something (despite the denials to the contrary) and re-routed all the power cables.

Sounds like your hardware bases are pretty well covered. Now the oh so joyous troubleshooting begins...software issues. Bleh. What's worse is your dealing with mp issues.
GL and may your google fu come thru!

Back