PC has been unstable for the past couple of weeks, PSU issue maybe?

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
Since April 14th, my PC has been randomly crashing, no blue screens, just locks up and reboots, mainly in games, but it does do it when browsing the web or when running Furmark.

thought that maybe my GPU was failing but I would get a couple of days with no issues then it would start crashing and rebooting and then today while playing Overwatch it crashed and the PC turned off then back on and this message was on the bottom of the POST screen,

IMG_3212.JPG

I restarted and went back into the game and it did the same thing, shut down, powered itself back on and then the same message popped up.
I am guessing my PSU is going out. it's a 4 year old EVGA 850B2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYK1CC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you all think it's the PSU going out?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If it's the Air 740 system in your signature, you should not be getting anywhere close to 850 watts. At highest, you're at 600 watts overclocked, and for gaming, you're more likely around 450 watts.

Unfortunately, for issues like this, there's no real way to tell until you start replacing components. I would start with the PSU and get a higher quality unit while you're at it.

Ya, it's the Air-740 system. I used to run a pair of 980SC's a year and a half ago,
GTX980 SLI.jpg

I ordered a Corsair HX750i from Amazon with same day delivery so tonight I'll know if it's the PSU or not.

Got the new one installed and it seems to be stable now.

IMG_3213.JPG IMG_3214.JPG IMG_3215.JPG IMG_3216.JPG

My computer is doing the exact same thing. Also went ahead and about a new PSU. Glad to see that your system is stable with a new PSU.

Also, cable management is on point. (y)

My computer is doing the exact same thing. Also went ahead and about a new PSU. Glad to see that your system is stable with a new PSU.

Also, cable management is on point. (y)

Thanks.

And ya, machine hasn't had 1 hiccup since.

here is a current shot of the inside,
IMG_3209.JPG

the backside where the PSU is is a rats nest, I was going to tie everything up back there but got impatient and just wanted to see if my PC would work properly.

Glad you got it sorted and on the 1st try too. I'm a bit of a Corsair fan when it comes to PSU's as well. It always gave me a smile when Kyle and Brent would test the gold/platinum tiers and they at least made it into the best of list(just barely and usually at the bottom but hey, still there!).

Just curious, how long did you have that PSU for?

I'm running them in both rigs and have an unopened spare for the one in my 4930k rig. That PSU is pushing 8 years now and so far no known problems of any kind. I saw how you mentioned your's once was used with a pair of 980SC's. Mine started with a pair of 560TI's, progressed to 3 GPU's and 3 raids plus a couple of HDD's. It's living a much simpler life these days, 1 GPU-no raids but a couple of SSD's and 2 HDD's, other than feeding a higher CPU OC and a OC'd 2080TI.

The EVGA 850 was running 24/7 for 4 years and 5 months.
I bought it when I built the 4790k setup with a GTX980 SC back in December of 2014. About 2 years later bought a used 980 SC to SLI with, then upgraded to the 1080ti FTW3 in November of 2017.

I found someone locally with a Dell U3415UW and traded the two 980 SC's for it,

IMG_1640.JPG

Back