Pc freezes randomly

Kaanyilmaz

n00b
Hi,
I have a HP Pavillion 15-bc200nt which started to freeze randomly.

It all started when I was playing GTA5 and the pc suddenly crashed and gave black screen saying that cmos checksum are faulty (I cant remember the exact message but that is what the message was all about). I wasnt able to boot the pc so I replaced the cmos battery with a new one. I removed the old battery with a screwdriver without having any ESD protection. I didnt feel static electric discharge though.

The pc finally booted up but now it randomly freezes. It freezes both when i play games, browse on google chrome and even when the pc is idle. It happens both when pc is hot and warm. Generally, the freeze starts with a black screen and the the screen comes back completely frozen. Sometimes, the initial black screen has some colorful vertical thin lines scattered in the screen. Sometimes, the windows blue comes up saying that something went wrong and it will reboot but it doesnt reboot since the pc the frozen. The blue screen also prints out the WHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR msg code.

The freeze happens both during booting process and during regular usage. I have dual boot with ubuntu and it freezes as well. Ubuntu is installed on hdd. Win10 is installed in ssd but it also uses some parts of the hdd.

I have run all available hardware tests and they all pass. I tried to replace the thermal paste on gpu and cpu couple of times. There were some excess paste on the circuitry of gpu and I also tried to clean them as much as possible. I also made a hard reset on windows, reinstalled bios from HP but no luck. I replaced my AC charger which also didnt help.

I have nvidia driver 466 installed. I logged the cpu and gpu temperatures with Open Hardware Monitor and they are both below 70Celcius just before the freezing. (Gpu temp shows 0 Celcius when it is not under load which looks weird to me.)
Here is the pc specs: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05438263
Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4MbJpVslQt5VKvSquEYhnej OpenHardwareInfo logs just before crash: https://www.dropbox.com/s/km6k2xyl2xjgt7d/OpenHardwareMonitor-log.xlsx?dl=0 Video of vertical lines during the freeze: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8szyrqul1nrorr/IMG_1455.mov?dl=0

Any ideas on how to solve it?

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a HP Pavillion 15-bc200nt which started to freeze randomly.

It all started when I was playing GTA5 and the pc suddenly crashed and gave black screen saying that cmos checksum are faulty (I cant remember the exact message but that is what the message was all about). I wasnt able to boot the pc so I replaced the cmos battery with a new one. I removed the old battery with a screwdriver without having any ESD protection. I didnt feel static electric discharge though.

The pc finally booted up but now it randomly freezes. It freezes both when i play games, browse on google chrome and even when the pc is idle. It happens both when pc is hot and warm. Generally, the freeze starts with a black screen and the the screen comes back completely frozen. Sometimes, the initial black screen has some colorful vertical thin lines scattered in the screen. Sometimes, the windows blue comes up saying that something went wrong and it will reboot but it doesnt reboot since the pc the frozen. The blue screen also prints out the WHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR msg code.

The freeze happens both during booting process and during regular usage. I have dual boot with ubuntu and it freezes as well. Ubuntu is installed on hdd. Win10 is installed in ssd but it also uses some parts of the hdd.

I have run all available hardware tests and they all pass. I tried to replace the thermal paste on gpu and cpu couple of times. There were some excess paste on the circuitry of gpu and I also tried to clean them as much as possible. I also made a hard reset on windows, reinstalled bios from HP but no luck. I replaced my AC charger which also didnt help.

I have nvidia driver 466 installed. I logged the cpu and gpu temperatures with Open Hardware Monitor and they are both below 70Celcius just before the freezing. (Gpu temp shows 0 Celcius when it is not under load which looks weird to me.)
Here is the pc specs: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05438263

Any ideas on how to solve it?
first off, welcome to [H]
youve covered almost everything you can do with a laptop. temp is well within limit, that shouldnt be an issue. very low chance of esd killing things if you only touched the battery. i know people will argue about it but i dont think its that big of a deal and ive only ever kill one chip with static. was young, working on carpet, in dry alberta winter and i touch the chip directly.
have you tried older nv drivers to rule those out? d/l and run DDU and then go back a couple versions.
you said youve tested everything, even RAM? if so, with what? I usually run into whea erros from flakey ram or oc. which i dont think you can do on that unit...

Check your errors logs to see what happend, not always very reliable but could give you an idea.

I added a video of the freeze and shared some logs from OpenHardwareMonitor. Btw, I removed nvidia deiver with DDU, nvidia gpu doesnt show up in device manager yet the problem still persists. Can we say that this is not a gpu problem?
pendragon1 I used hp’s own hardware test software to test ram. I also rolled back to nvidia driver 388 which is the supported driver by hp but it didnt help also.
Denpepe where can i find those errors?

Last edited:
In the windows logs, look for critical or just errors, not sure about the correct terminology as my windows is in dutch, but typing logs in search should get you there

right click start menu, event viewer at the top. under windows log look at system and application BUT dont be surprised if they are next to useless, they usually only will show a "unexpected shutdown" or something equally useless.

Back