PC Audio Ports Being Phased Out - How to move the HD audio connection to the back?

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a hard time finding an X670E board with all the 5.1/7.1 Ports.
I just got the MEG X670E ACE motherboard as it was the only one I found with 10GB Ethernet and all the PC audio ports.
-It makes 6 thumping like pops each time I boot up but I guess I can live with that. It's just a $600 board after all.
Some boards are down to just 2 ports making room for iGPU HDMI and DP ports.

I want to use both my 5.1 speakers and I need the headphone and mic for work.

There is a mice port on the back but it looks like the other remaining port is only for the 7.1 side speakers or a line out.

I'd like to move the HD audio ports to the back but can't find a bracket for it.

I found this older thread.

https://hardforum.com/threads/pci-bracket-w-hd-audio-connector-and-headphone-mic-jacks.1817646/

Why is it bad to add new info to an older thread vs making a new one about the same thing?

I think that's the direction things are headed, but it'd be nice if you're $600 pus motherboard supported all the audio features they used to and without a thumping noise when you turn it on etc. Same sort of deal with the 10 gig ethernet port with video cards being so big and wanting to attach SSDs to PCI slots etc. There's just not room for sound cards and network cards. So maybe the $300 board with USB ports is a better option and then get a sound card dongle and a 10 GB ethernet card dongle etc.

I think that's the direction things are headed, but it'd be nice if you're $600 pus motherboard supported all the audio features they used to and without a thumping noise when you turn it on etc. Same sort of deal with the 10 gig ethernet port with video cards being so big and wanting to attach SSDs to PCI slots etc. There's just not room for sound cards and network cards. So maybe the $300 board with USB ports is a better option and then get a sound card dongle and a 10 GB ethernet card dongle etc.

It is a trend happening in the PC building space. Not exactly thrilled about it, as the level of ability to customize and build out is getting less interesting. Some of the recent case design trends haven't helped either. Like putting GPU's in spots that completely block having any other expansion cards is stupid af.

if you go external.. The Fosi K5 Pro has optical, coax, preouts, mic and headphone jack. I had to ditch my x-fi titanium hd for the same reasons.

Last edited:
It also appears to be more of a recording interface, rack mount design and all.

I think you would probably be fine with something like a CreativeLabs SoundBlaster X4 or something like it.
I guess but I'd really rather just have the ports and not another black box to put somewhere. For now I'm just going to live with the motherboard that has six thumping popping noises each time the computer boots. It's fine after that though.

Just seems odd, there's no simple PC HD audio adapter for the spare PCI bracket.

Maybe get something like a soundblaster ae-5 or ae-7? Usually can find them pretty cheap on ebay. My ae-5 drives my 600ohm headphones with no issue which is nice.

Without seeing that pop on a scope hard to tell how to get rid of it but almost seems like its driving a dc pulse to it. Might be able to get something small like a 1pf cap to put in series with the audio to the speakers and see if that helps. Should be pretty invisible to audio.

Maybe get something like a soundblaster ae-5 or ae-7? Usually can find them pretty cheap on ebay. My ae-5 drives my 600ohm headphones with no issue which is nice.

Without seeing that pop on a scope hard to tell how to get rid of it but almost seems like its driving a dc pulse to it. Might be able to get something small like a 1pf cap to put in series with the audio to the speakers and see if that helps. Should be pretty invisible to audio.
"a 1pf cap" Something to look into, maybe.

Not wanting to give up a PCIe slot for a sound card. That is why I get a motherboard with one. Don't think think you can get one without. :)

It also appears to be more of a recording interface, rack mount design and all.

Yeah, it is about the best you can get for a recording studio, and it is brand new. I was making a bad joke.

On a more serious note, RME stuff is excellent, especially the drivers and long-term driver support by the vendor.

"a 1pf cap" Something to look into, maybe.

Not wanting to give up a PCIe slot for a sound card. That is why I get a motherboard with one. Don't think think you can get one without. :)
Oh i get it, i myself hate the integration. means the only way to upgrade anything is to replace it all. And you tend to get a run of the mill quality, cant expect a mother board company to be as good at audio design as a sound card company etc. Nor will they put as much money into that section. Thus why you get things like you are experiencing where they forgot or didnt know to soft start the output drivers of the amp system.

I like modular, easier to replace a faulty part too and since my wife games as well, hand me down parts can go either direction.

Alternatively, get it replaced or repaired or turn your speakers off when powering up the system.

Not sure it's worth getting the motherboard replaced. Someone on the MSI forum had said there's does the same thing. Part of the problem is my speaker system, it's very heavy on base. I have it on the lowest setting and it's still kind of too high. One setting lower and it turns the sub off. Come to think of it, I need to test with that and see if that makes a difference.

Not sure it's worth getting the motherboard replaced. Someone on the MSI forum had said there's does the same thing. Part of the problem is my speaker system, it's very heavy on base. I have it on the lowest setting and it's still kind of too high. One setting lower and it turns the sub off. Come to think of it, I need to test with that and see if that makes a difference.
subwoofers sometimes have sleep modes (auto). maybe it could be that switching itself on and off.

It's not done anything like this before with other motherboards. I think I had an old Intel one that made one pop. This makes six with the first being before the OS is even loaded. And then several more after the Windows desktop.

I had a hard time finding an X670E board with all the 5.1/7.1 Ports.
I just got the MEG X670E ACE motherboard as it was the only one I found with 10GB Ethernet and all the PC audio ports.
-It makes 6 thumping like pops each time I boot up but I guess I can live with that. It's just a $600 board after all.
Some boards are down to just 2 ports making room for iGPU HDMI and DP ports.

I want to use both my 5.1 speakers and I need the headphone and mic for work.

There is a mice port on the back but it looks like the other remaining port is only for the 7.1 side speakers or a line out.

I'd like to move the HD audio ports to the back but can't find a bracket for it.

I found this older thread.

https://hardforum.com/threads/pci-bracket-w-hd-audio-connector-and-headphone-mic-jacks.1817646/

Why is it bad to add new info to an older thread vs making a new one about the same thing?
What are you running that you need discrete 5.1 or 7.1 audio jacks?
The reason those ports are disappearing is that there are few to no "PC Surround Sound Speaker" products left on the market and if there are any, they are basically in the "toy" class - like a whole system for $119 with a 5" subwoofer, etc.

Most people just run stereo or if they need real surround sound, they use HDMI.

why not make use of that s/pdif the board supports?
Not for input or 5.1 uncompressed sound I think.

There is some possible option outside going the USB dac, sound card or HDMI to tv like receptor options.

Cheap sound card could do the trick or an usb headset-mic kit ?

Maybe your case do not already has a connector to the HD audio for the headset ?

But like other said, maybe time for going the modern route, outside the PC sound, you do not have to consider sound option for your next motherboard and can transfer them

Last edited:
If you care about sound quality you're going to output digital via USB/HDMI to a better setup. People need to move on from your EMI noisy computer doing the DAC'ing. Sound options for computers these days is better than ever - You just need to get with the times. Hundreds of options if you just realize that sound cards aren't needed given the design of a modern OS. Besides that, most sound cards these days are just USB devices mounted on a PCI-E card anyways.

If you care about sound quality you're going to output digital via USB/HDMI to a better setup. People need to move on from your EMI noisy computer doing the DAC'ing. Sound options for computers these days is better than ever - You just need to get with the times. Hundreds of options if you just realize that sound cards aren't needed given the design of a modern OS. Besides that, most sound cards these days are just USB devices mounted on a PCI-E card anyways.
I care about sound quality I can actually hear. Not into $1000 audio cables or DACs and such. If they sound different its mostly from added processing or a tweeked EQ. Like the Logitech setup I have now where the lowest subwoofer volume is still too high.
I tried a Sound Blaster X4 and it even pops once when it powers up but I'm sure its a cheap USB DAC that sounds bad. I do like having the headset and mic inputs on the desk and the button to toggle the audio from speakers to headset it just needs the same for the mic mute.
If they just added that USB DAC on the $600-ish MB in the correct way I'd be ok and not need a new home $$$ theater AVR for my PC. HDMI audio has been around for ages I just never bumped into one of the hundreds of simple HDMI PC speaker surround setups.

I care about sound quality I can actually hear. Not into $1000 audio cables or DACs and such. If they sound different its mostly from added processing or a tweeked EQ. Like the Logitech setup I have now where the lowest subwoofer volume is still too high.
I tried a Sound Blaster X4 and it even pops once when it powers up but I'm sure its a cheap USB DAC that sounds bad. I do like having the headset and mic inputs on the desk and the button to toggle the audio from speakers to headset it just needs the same for the mic mute.
If they just added that USB DAC on the $600-ish MB in the correct way I'd be ok and not need a new home $$$ theater AVR for my PC. HDMI audio has been around for ages I just never bumped into one of the hundreds of simple HDMI PC speaker surround setups.

Sure. But then your counting on a 3rd party variable thats ever changing to get it right. Where as if you just bought a decent USB based DAC/AMP, Soundcard or etc. Then that is solved, your sound will be consistently great from one mobo to the next from there out till it breaks, can't get drivers on a newer OS, connection become obsolete etc.

Sure. But then your counting on a 3rd party variable thats ever changing to get it right. Where as if you just bought a decent USB based DAC/AMP, Soundcard or etc. Then that is solved, your sound will be consistently great from one mobo to the next from there out till it breaks, can't get drivers on a newer OS, connection become obsolete etc.
There is always a workaround, but it is not as satisfactory as receiving the product or feature you paid for. It is more convenient to have it built-in without sacrificing a PCI slot, a USB port, or dealing with the hassle of running wires. By now, onboard sound solutions should have been perfected. There haven't been any significant updates to PC audio recently. My desire is simply to have standard audio outputs without any popping or buzzing noises. Similar to an onboard USB hub, it should function seamlessly without the need to purchase an external one or use a PCI slot, especially considering the exorbitant prices of current motherboards, ranging from $500 to $1000, just to obtain an LED readout or a 2.5/10GB port.

Until motherboards without any built-in sound become available, investing in one is a waste of money and contributes to electronic waste. Additionally, as you mentioned, you remain reliant on third-party vendors to keep the drivers updated and not force you into purchasing new USB digital-to-analog converters (DACs) due to the release of Windows 12 or other nonsense. I purchased the Sound Blaster X4, but all I experienced was paying more money for a different type of popping sound upon computer startup. I do appreciate the convenience of having the microphone and headphone ports on my desk, as well as the dedicated button to switch between speakers and headset. However, I am unsure if these features truly justify the investment. The microphone mute function is also glitchy.

There is always a workaround, but it is not as satisfactory as receiving the product or feature you paid for. It is more convenient to have it built-in without sacrificing a PCI slot, a USB port, or dealing with the hassle of running wires. By now, onboard sound solutions should have been perfected. There haven't been any significant updates to PC audio recently. My desire is simply to have standard audio outputs without any popping or buzzing noises. Similar to an onboard USB hub, it should function seamlessly without the need to purchase an external one or use a PCI slot, especially considering the exorbitant prices of current motherboards, ranging from $500 to $1000, just to obtain an LED readout or a 2.5/10GB port.

Until motherboards without any built-in sound become available, investing in one is a waste of money and contributes to electronic waste. Additionally, as you mentioned, you remain reliant on third-party vendors to keep the drivers updated and not force you into purchasing new USB digital-to-analog converters (DACs) due to the release of Windows 12 or other nonsense. I purchased the Sound Blaster X4, but all I experienced was paying more money for a different type of popping sound upon computer startup. I do appreciate the convenience of having the microphone and headphone ports on my desk, as well as the dedicated button to switch between speakers and headset. However, I am unsure if these features truly justify the investment. The microphone mute function is also glitchy.
Should on board audio be "perfected" in terms of cost, performance or features? You can't really perfect something that is about balancing tradeoffs.

I'm not a fan of USB DACs, I have one in my amp and one in one of my DACS but I just use optical and coax - they are universal and work with everything.

Should on board audio be "perfected" in terms of cost, performance or features? You can't really perfect something that is about balancing tradeoffs.

I'm not a fan of USB DACs, I have one in my amp and one in one of my DACS but I just use optical and coax - they are universal and work with everything.
Nothing's perfect, but for the money and the fact that it's been many years where on board PC audio hasn't really changed in any significant ways, I would hope you wouldn't have hum, buzz or pops when using it. My motherboard from 3 years ago didn't do that and the one from 9 years ago didn't do that and so on.

Modern motherboards are very expensive and they push you into price points to get what should be relative inexpensive items and way too much of the money goes towards a giant fancy box and RGB and other stuff I just do not care about and do not want.

Nothing's perfect, but for the money and the fact that it's been many years where on board PC audio hasn't really changed in any significant ways, I would hope you wouldn't have hum, buzz or pops when using it. My motherboard from 3 years ago didn't do that and the one from 9 years ago didn't do that and so on.

Modern motherboards are very expensive and they push you into price points to get what should be relative inexpensive items and way too much of the money goes towards a giant fancy box and RGB and other stuff I just do not care about and do not want.
They are cramming more and more stuff on the motherboards these days and computer audio is basically two groups:

1. The people who don't care and just use any basic speakers with a 3.5mm jack

2. The people who care a lot and go hard at good audio with external devices and DACs

It doesn't make much sense to over engineer the internal audio - it just needs to "work".

If you have expectations above that, you can buy this for $20:
1688931542860.png

I bought this one for $60 and I use the coax to my Integrated Amp and the Optical to my headphone amp:
1688931623811.png

I get the same digital output to both devices without much trouble and I can still change inputs independently

I do that less now that I have connected my streamer to a digital input so I can mix my streamer/phone/PC audio without changing inputs....

why not make use of that s/pdif the board supports?
S/PDIF only supports:

• Stereo
  • 5.1 Dolby Digital
  • 5.1 DTS
To get the latter two, you need a realtime encoder, which few motherboards support (because licensing fees). Meaning unless the content you plan to listen to has a pre-encoded Dolby/DTS track, you are limited to Stereo output.

S/PDIF needs to die and be replaced with a single cord standard that actually supports uncompressed 5.1. It was fine for its time (when there was only Stereo; Dolby/DTS just happened to fit within S/PDIF bandwidth requirements) but is long overdue for retirement.

/rant

S/PDIF needs to die and be replaced with a single cord standard that actually supports uncompressed 5.1. It was fine for its time (when there was only Stereo; Dolby/DTS just happened to fit within S/PDIF bandwidth requirements) but is long overdue for retirement.

S/PDIF is in zombie mode, HDMI audio is the replacement, with all of the benefits and drawbacks of mixing audio and video on a single cord with standards designed by comittee. But 8-channel PCM at higher bit depths and sample rates is a big improvement from S/PDIF. There's also ADAT lightpipe which uses the same fiber connectors commonly used for S/PDIF, but since there's no communication from the receiver, you can't plug and play for lightpipe if you can or fall back to S/PDIF, and lightpipe never left professional usage.

S/PDIF is in zombie mode, HDMI audio is the replacement, with all of the benefits and drawbacks of mixing audio and video on a single cord with standards designed by comittee. But 8-channel PCM at higher bit depths and sample rates is a big improvement from S/PDIF. There's also ADAT lightpipe which uses the same fiber connectors commonly used for S/PDIF, but since there's no communication from the receiver, you can't plug and play for lightpipe if you can or fall back to S/PDIF, and lightpipe never left professional usage.
I'm pretty sure TOSLINK/S/PDIF is royalty free - unlike HDMI.

These old interfaces work just fine for stereo - I see eARC HDMI ports being included in a lot of stereo audio products to make them integrate with TVs easier but HDMI is not a replacement for legacy digital audio ports. Too many issues to solve that don't need solving.

Hate to say it, you're just wasting money. My mobo last an average of 2 years between replacement and I have never have one failed on me. The performance difference between a good name brand like the Asus Tuf Z790 that I just got and yours is questionable at best. Another question? With all your top end PC components, why are you still stuck with a sound system that only works with 3.5mm outputs?

Hate to say it, you're just wasting money. My mobo last an average of 2 years between replacement and I have never have one failed on me. The performance difference between a good name brand like the Asus Tuf Z790 that I just got and yours is questionable at best. Another question? With all your top end PC components, why are you still stuck with a sound system that only works with 3.5mm outputs?
The system before this was kept like 8 years. It's a waste to buy one every 2 years. Yes, no issues with an MB less than 2 years old MB. It's not just the quality its getting the options you want. You should not need to buy a $600 MB to get a sound or even an post code LED but that is were we are now.

The system before this was kept like 8 years. It's a waste to buy one every 2 years. Yes, no issues with an MB less than 2 years old MB. It's not just the quality its getting the options you want. You should not need to buy a $600 MB to get a sound or even an post code LED but that is were we are now.
Ever since you can move OS to a different hardware setup with Win 10/11 with minimal hassle. It's so simple to upgrade Mobo/CPU. I upgrade every 2-3 years since I don't want to be more than 2 generation behind on CPU and other upgrade. But in any case, You don't need to spend $600 for a mobo to have good onboard 7.1 audio. My mobo cost $229 and have the following audio specs:

Realtek S1220A 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC*
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Internal audio Amplifier to enhance the highest quality sound for headphone and speakers
- Supports: Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input (Line-in)
- Supports up to 32-Bit/192 kHz playback*"
Audio Features
- Audio Shielding
- Rear optical S/PDIF out port
- Premium audio capacitors
- Dedicated audio PCB layers
- Audio Cover

Ever since you can move OS to a different hardware setup with Win 10/11 with minimal hassle. It's so simple to upgrade Mobo/CPU. I upgrade every 2-3 years since I don't want to be more than 2 generation behind on CPU and other upgrade. But in any case, You don't need to spend $600 for a mobo to have good onboard 7.1 audio. My mobo cost $229 and have the following audio specs:

Realtek S1220A 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC*
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Internal audio Amplifier to enhance the highest quality sound for headphone and speakers
- Supports: Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input (Line-in)
- Supports up to 32-Bit/192 kHz playback*"
Audio Features
- Audio Shielding
- Rear optical S/PDIF out port
- Premium audio capacitors
- Dedicated audio PCB layers
- Audio Cover
They're always seems to be some kind of issue where they want you to install the OS from scratch. If you're not getting a new motherboard every two years with little to no performance gain and adding to the e-waste avalanche you may be able to get by without reinstalling your OS.
If one specific item like audio is all you want, maybe. And most of the boards have nice sounding specs, but they may or may not have issues popping when turning it on or all the ports that used to come standard etc. And that's not the only thing some folks may want when they're forced to buy a more expensive motherboard. If you want more/all your PCIe lanes or NVMe sockets or you want more than one network port or a 10 GB ethernet port or an LED postcode display or fill in your blank. It shouldn't cost you 600 plus dollars let alone 1200 or whatever some of those motherboards are going for, it's crazy. Maybe someday you can get a motherboard with a bunch of USB-C dongles you're okay with. I'm not there yet not liking the idea of a bunch of boxes hanging off the computer, just because the manufacturers can't be bothered to integrate the device's properly or include them at all. There's umpteen different motherboards out there, none of them are really what I want because they're all playing games blocking you from $20 add-ons you want, costing you a couple hundred. But plenty of stuff I could care less about, RGB, motherboard armor, power connections on the back of the motherboard and so on. I'm glad you can find everything you ever wanted in the $200 board, but not everybody can.

I found that staying with the same manufacturer helps as you're less likely to run into a BIOS hiccup and be sure to download all the drivers on a flash drive.

I use my PC for gaming so there's really not much you can do except to upgrade every 2-3 years on the CPU and every year or two on the GPU but I don't throw away my old components. I give them away to people with older systems that needed a upgrade (except my last mobo which I killed trying to access the lock release for the GPU connector and accidentally hit the board and either cracked or damaged a component but I'll give away the i7-11700K and the DRAM).

Back