Parallel TEN: a cast aluminum Mini-ITX case for enthusiasts

Renders are too dark, I think. And the perspective in renders hides which surfaces are not perpendicular. Apart from that it looks really close to exterior idea of NCASE LRPC. It's not a good thing if you're not able to manufacture it with high precision of mass production.

I liked the previous design better, if just for aesthetic reasons.

Actually, I seem to have missed the post about power button and USB port placement and I like both a great deal, but those pop-out ports will be hard to design, I reckon.

The previous design also accommodated an ATX PSU, which is an important feature when you're trying to keep everything quiet.

This new design is a completely different case altogether and offers little uniqueness over SaperPLs case and the NCASE LRPC (even though the latter is on hold). I would say return to the previous design.

@iFreilicht
yeah I preferred the first design as well (aesthetics wise). I really appreciate the feedback and I'll probably continue to improve the previous design.

@SaperPL
I'll probably be using investment casting to manufacture the case as it is precise and relatively cheap for smaller runs.

Hey hooplish, I have been watching your progress and I think you're doing good work. One thing does concern me a bit:

I'll probably be using investment casting to manufacture the case as it is precise and relatively cheap for smaller runs.

The above statement concerns me because I have looked into investment casting in the past, and what I found is that there is a minimum thickness for parts in order for it to work cheaply. There are ways to make investment casting work with thinner parts, but they all require more money.

I recommend that you try contacting manufacturers/foundries who do investment casting and ask them if the design you have in mind is doable. You can do this without a very detailed engineering drawing, though you'll probably need at least a 3-view diagram with labeled dimensions. Probably the fastest way to do this is to just send them a 3-view diagram of one thin part of your design. That way, you don't have to do a lot of drafting work, and the answer you get will still be relevant.

@esplin2966
Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to send a cad drawing to a manufacturer, I was just a bit held up the last few weeks. I'd probably get it done this week.

Update 5/18/2015
Since the reception of the previous design was lukewarm, I've decided to go back to the original design which is better aesthetics wise, which is what this case is all about.

Specifications
  • Dimensions (when stood up vertically)
    Width: 85.5mm - 75.5mm
    Height: 318.5mm - 307mm
    Depth: 310mm
  • Mini-ITX motherboard
  • GPU upto 280mm, 2 slot
  • CPU cooler upto 51mm
  • Min. of two 2.5" drives
  • SFX and SFX-L PSU support
Remember, the specs aren't final as I might have to make it slightly bigger due to the fact that I may need to increase the wall thickness to ensure consistency and keep prices at an acceptable level (moneys always the problem :rolleyes:).

I'll definitely put more renders up as I go along but I'm keeping the interior under wraps for the time being.

I like the looks!

I suspect you'll have to increase the "margin" of the holed areas, since the metal sheet will probably become too unstable (warping etc), at least if using aluminium?

Any thoughts on dust filters?

I suspect you'll have to increase the "margin" of the holed areas, since the metal sheet will probably become too unstable (warping etc), at least if using aluminium?

Any thoughts on dust filters?

Yeah that's the case here. As for dust filters, I'd really love to get some in but will have to see if the space and/or cost permits it.

Been a long time, but I'm back. Anyhow, I've come up with a layout that would take advantage of the case's design:

This would enable ~200mm graphics cards to be fitted inside while still allowing standard sized video cables to be connected.

Graphics cards upto 280mm can also be fitted in, but that requires some low profile stuff.

What say you?

I've been thinking about this kind of configuration but there's a problem with bending the flex riser in a proper way. You can even use flex PCI-E X8 riser if this helps but you still have the to make some kind of connection between the VGA output and the back.

It's nice, but personally I'd prefer small version of this case and dan a4 case cos not every SFF users install Titan/GTX980 etc and GTX970/GTX960 Mini is only 17cm/6.7" long.

I've been thinking about this kind of configuration but there's a problem with bending the flex riser in a proper way. You can even use flex PCI-E X8 riser if this helps but you still have the to make some kind of connection between the VGA output and the back.

Yeah, I think I've seen you mention this config somewhere.

About the flex riser, I've found one that uses FFC cables that looks really promising when it comes to flexibility in tight spaces, http://eshop.sintech.cn/pcie-express-x16-riser-extension-card-1-slot-with-30cm-high-spe-p-974.html?zenid=ed5u86g4smcrns6lvu4b0pms67. So it should be able to bend easily under the MB/PSU and go where it needs to go.

Now I've been thinking about the VGA output, and the simplest way to go about this is doing it like Silverstone's FT03 (more or less):

It's nice, but personally I'd prefer small version of this case and dan a4 case cos not every SFF users install Titan/GTX980 etc and GTX970/GTX960 Mini is only 17cm/6.7" long.
The thing is, a short GPU doesn't save any space unless you also relocate the power supply, but then you end up with a very tall (or wide, depending on your perspective) case. Something like iFreilicht's design. It's smaller by volume, but having one long dimension like that is going to put off some people. Then again, some might prefer it, too.

The thing is, a short GPU doesn't save any space unless you also relocate the power supply, but then you end up with a very tall (or wide, depending on your perspective) case. Something like iFreilicht's design. It's smaller by volume, but having one long dimension like that is going to put off some people. Then again, some might prefer it, too.

Absolutely true. It's actually quite hard to make use of ITX GPUs anyway because you only have very few configurations where you can make a case that short, and as soon as you want to support, say, larger GPU coolers, you instantly end up with something that could just as well support full-length GPUs in the first place.
You do indeed get one very large dimension, but you also get one very short one, which is depth. It of course depends on your use case whether you can actually make use of that, but if you put the case below a monitor, for example, you save a lot of space with that footprint.

Yeah, I think I've seen you mention this config somewhere.

About the flex riser, I've found one that uses FFC cables that looks really promising when it comes to flexibility in tight spaces, http://eshop.sintech.cn/pcie-express-x16-riser-extension-card-1-slot-with-30cm-high-spe-p-974.html?zenid=ed5u86g4smcrns6lvu4b0pms67. So it should be able to bend easily under the MB/PSU and go where it needs to go.

Now I've been thinking about the VGA output, and the simplest way to go about this is doing it like Silverstone's FT03 (more or less):

http://i.imgur.com/ZMJDgN5l.jpg?1

Hm, I would test that riser before I trust it. It doesn't look shielded at all, so you may get connectivity problems with the GPU.
Also, moving the riser below the mainboard like that is a pretty great idea, but you may have to move the board up by 1 or 2mm to comply with the ATX standard and I don't see where the bottom-right (from the perspective in your picture) standoff could be mounted, as the ribbon cable will be directly below it. And you don't plan on screwing through the riser, do you? It might of course work with the one you linked, because that is divided into three cables.

About cable routing: Didn't your design have space on the side of the case anyway? why not route the cables through there? That way, a user would only have to slide the skeleton out of the shell to change the display cables instead of routing them through a hole in the back which could damage the cable with its edges.
You'd also gain a few mm's more length for the GPU, which could be particularly helpful if someone decides to install one of AMDs Fury cards.

Back