P4 2.4A OCing what temps are OK? oh and 3.5 ghz on stock cooling/voltage

Been a long time amd fan boy and wanted to give intel a try so I picked up a 2.4A prescott ECS 848P-A combo at frys figured cheap and the board actually has a agp/pci lock. Anyway upped the fsb in steps and I'm now at 195 fsb * 18 = 3.5 ghz +, anyway I'm testing the processor prime stable at this speed but I am getting ridiculously high temps (70 C) will my processor die at this temp? oh and I think I got a gem of a chip its doing the 3.5 at 1.32 V's

That temp is high. You might consider an aftr market heatsink/fan like Thermalright SP-94 with a 92mm fan.

I didn't plan on keeping the stock hsf at these temps but i'm just wondering if theres any risk just messing around at these temps for a bit (I've now gotten into windows at 3.74 ghz on 1.32 V and stock HSF but not prime stable, but it might be the memory I'm only using pc2700)

Now up to 4 ghz on stock cooling/ voltage, damn these chips rock :)

Hmm well ive seen it everywhere: 'If its stable, its not too high'

I dont particularly belive it..70*C seems too high also. High temps will decrease the life by some. Zalman CNPS-7000 <sp?> all the way!

I'd invest in an aftermarket cooler as soon as you can. I don't think you'll hurt it in the short run, but 70 C can't be good for your components.

Hey is throttling after 60c still true or was that a myth? I want to know I had my [email protected] at 1.75volts for 2 years I still have it so if you can do it and it being stable then do it I am on air too pal8942 but my temps are 36c idle 51c load

I think they upped the throttling temperature for Prescott. If it were still 60, in some situations processors would be throttling under normal, stock clocked usage. Intel made the Prescott with much higher max temperatures than Northwood out of necessity due to the higher heat dissipation of the chip.

Will I kept trying to raise fsb in modest jumps and when I got up to 4.4 ghz I decided to check CPUZ and unfortunately it read at 2.4 ghz, I have however confirmed that it is prime stable at 3.8 ghz and pretty damn stable at 3.9 ghz but not prime stable, and I can get into windows XP at 3.96 ghz and this all at just stock voltage/cooling (the only question I have is that when I boot up at settings for 4.4 ghz fsb, the bootup screen reports the 4.4 ghz but windows gives the different speed, could this still mean that it is actually booting at 4.4 ghz?

NotSoSimple said:
Hmm well ive seen it everywhere: 'If its stable, its not too high'

I dont particularly belive it..70*C seems too high also. High temps will decrease the life by some. Zalman CNPS-7000 <sp?> all the way!

Thank you. For some reason people are afraid to get the cpu's out of the 40's?? They are spec'd to run a lot warmer no problems.

I have 3 prescotts here 2 2.4's and a 2.8. Prescotts run hotter than northwoods. but They dont seem to mind.

You have a good prescott. Mine wont do over 3.6 on air, and 3.9ghz in my vapo.

Prescotts have a lot higher throttling temps. Im gussing about 78c' is when my Sisoft scores drop on testing.

Socrilles17 said:
Will I kept trying to raise fsb in modest jumps and when I got up to 4.4 ghz I decided to check CPUZ and unfortunately it read at 2.4 ghz, I have however confirmed that it is prime stable at 3.8 ghz and pretty damn stable at 3.9 ghz but not prime stable, and I can get into windows XP at 3.96 ghz and this all at just stock voltage/cooling (the only question I have is that when I boot up at settings for 4.4 ghz fsb, the bootup screen reports the 4.4 ghz but windows gives the different speed, could this still mean that it is actually booting at 4.4 ghz?

4 gigs on stock cooling and voltage? I have a hard time understanding with that one.

If someone can host pics and tell me how to take them, I can send CPU-Z screenshot and sisoft benchmarks of 3.96 ghz at 1.32 V's on a stock hsf, I've taken the pictures just need some1 to host now

2.4A prescott ECS 848P-A combo at frys figured cheap

Was this the memorial day special for 120 bucks? If so, you got a hell of a good deal. :)

Socrilles I own a domain. Check your PMs. Im sure I can host so we can see some of this OC'ing goodness.

Here's some pics of it at 3.94 ghz its not prime stable here but I can definitely do some bench marking
Screen01.JPG

Screen02.JPG

thanx a million notsosimple

even at 3.9+Ghz,

ti's performance was below P4 3Ghz.. i think there is some throttling happen during testing...

this pics was taken way way after testing coz the temps were just mid 50s

you do realize that 2 SMT thing refers to dual 3 ghz processors?, oh and sandra benchmarks don't stress it much, when i run prime it shoots up to 70 pretty quick, but it ran at 3.7 ghz for 2 hrs with prime and then i stopped it.

Back