P4 2.4 showing as 1.8??(no oc)

BLsibub666

Gawd
ok ive had some problems with my pc ( vid card issues) and while looking threw some things i noticed that my cpu is showing up in bios as a 1.8 not a 2.4 and i couldnt say for sure that its ever posted as 2.4 b/c i never thought to check (didnt have reason to) I havent OCed anything in this rig.

so i have an asus P4S533 with a p4 2.4 and 768mb pc 2700
ati radion 9600pro (onbord sound, nic) and bios updated to (i think) 10/100 (i think thats the most recent update (sure of the update, not sure of the #)

i just have no idea WTF is going on with this, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance
BLsibub

Yes, sounds like it's a 100 x 18 multiplier. 18 is the multiplier on the P4 2.4B, but for some reason your FSB is set to 100.

thanks but i still need some help...

i jumped back into bios hit the cpu settings section...

cpu speed [1800MHz]
cpu/pci frequency (MHz) [100/33]
cpu/memory frequency ration [1:1]
cpu vcore setting [auto]
cpu vcore [1.500v]
cpu level 2 catch [enabled]
bios update [enabled]
and so on, the only things there i can get to are the spu level 2 catch, and bio update.... when i go to ship configuration it gives me ram agp and pci options.

so in short im not sure how the hell to change the fsb on this mobo (asus P4S533)

can some one help me out, thanks

I'm not familiar with your BIOS (don't have any screens to look at), but I think you change the CPU/PCI frequency to 133/33.

However, I don't know if you can still have a PCI frequency of 33 when making the CPU frequency change; the PCI bus might jump to 37 or something like that, which is not good. Try to find a PCI/AGP divider to lock the PCI and AGP speeds.

You can also lock the AGP/PCI bus and up the memory clock to 133 Mhz.

where it says cpu speed [1800mhz], if you hit enter over that there's most likely an option "cpu speed[2400mhz]" if you want it to run at 2.4ghz or there'll be an option "cpu speed[manual]" or something like that where you can set your own speed using the option below that - the cpu/pci frequency....

if you can't hit enter over the cpu speed option then you'll have to find another option in the bios (that is selectable) where you have the option to select something about the cpu like make it Manual or Disabled (disable auto detect or something like that)

I know the board supports 533FSB. I had the Asus P4S333 (older version of P4S533) and I used to run a 1.6a at 150FSB. Which is what I would shoot for with your mobo.

CHANGE your settings to the following below:

cpu speed [MANUAL]
cpu/pci frequency (MHz) [133/33] <--- FSB
cpu/memory frequency ration [4:5]
You need to run at 4:5 ratio just to bring your ram up to spec.

However, I'd probaby set the FSB speed to 144
and the vcore to:
cpu vcore setting [MANUAL]
cpu vcore [1.575v]

That will give you a little SAFE overclock
at 2.6Ghz and your memory will be A LOT faster.

yeah i cant select cpu speed (ive changed cpu speed b4 on my abit board (P3) but i havent done it here and im not sure how i guess ill have to trole the asus site and see if they can tell me what the deal is (or maybe take this over to the main board forum)

again thanks guys i realy apriciatte th help

thanks, i can change everything in bios once i set it to jumper free, (2-3 not 1-2) but once i save it restarts, and as its about to load windows, i get a blue screen telling me my bios isnt compliant .... ect, so i put the jumper on 1-2, and i can run, but at 1800mhz

this shit is just pissing me off, and im tired of it (at some point it woudlnt recognize the keyboard i had to pull the battery)

also, are you SURE that you have an up-to-date BIOS ?

and clear CMOS too after you flash or change to jumper free

ok let me make sure i get this right,

A update bios (again just to be sure)
B clear cmos
C change to jumper free
D clear cmos
E change cpu speed to manual and cpu xternal frequency to 133, and memory frequency to 4:5,
F save changed
G start windows (with mobo set on jumper free?)

sorry for my confusion but i havnt had to do this befor my raid upgrade on my server craped out and i may have lost everything on there, and everything seems to kill my ati radion 9600 pro so im kinda sick of computers not doing what i want them too right now)

again thanks for all the help ill work on this more tomarow

Yes, sounds like you have everything correct.

But leave memory at 1:1 frequency for the first time you try booting in to windows. Its good to only make one (speed increase) change at a time in case something goes wrong you know what caused it.

THe ram will only be a PC 2100 at 133FSB
(currently you're running it at PC1600)
changing ratio to 4:5 will put it at PC2700.

Also what are you ram settings. BY SPD?
Put them at what they are supposed to be at for PC2700 operation. (their spec speed/settings)

thanks i got the manual out and took a good hard look at it, and some of my dip switches where messed up, so changing them back fixed the issue, my memory frequency is still at 1:1

should i realy change it from 1:1 to 4:5 (and if so whats the step by step i dont fuck it up way of doing that)

again thanks for the posts, links and help

BLsibub666

*cough* READ YOUR *@#&$*@ MANUALS!!! *cough*

just change it in the bios. Its just one setting.

Test the setting afterwards to make sure you have it right.

If your ram is set by SPD you should be fine.

The sis board allows you to run all kinds of different ratios.

I think is called the 4:5 (cpu:ram)
or it might be called 5:4 (ram:cpu)

You will notice much faster benchmarks since its a single channel memory mobo. Its starving for bandwidth.

You can also run CPU-Z it will show you if your ram is running at the correct speed.

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT

Back