Optimal thermal paste method for Ryzen 7000 CPUs?

4RunnerTE

Limp Gawd
Sorry if this is a silly question, but how are you all applying your thermal paste to these new Ryzen processors especially with respect to all the jagged cutouts?

I've always gone with the single pea-sized dot in the middle but have seen some videos where they advocate to spread it to every corner and cutout possible.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how are you all applying your thermal paste to these new Ryzen processors especially with respect to all the jagged cutouts?

I've always gone with the single pea-sized dot in the middle but have seen some videos where they advocate to spread it to every corner and cutout possible.
IMO, spread has been the best method, for awhile.

Ryzen CPUs have more than one die undeneath the IHS. And its not all centered. Plus, the IHS for Ryzen is large. A single dollop of thermal paste in the middle, will likely not give good coverage.

Intel's Alder Lake and Raptor Lake CPUs also have a large, rectangular IHS. Again, I think spreading is best.

Using an 'X' would probably give good coverage. But, also probably end up using more paste than spreading.

like this.
1672334707489.png

I think doing a x like the video above will work just fine. I have done the pea method using Arctic silver 5 for all of my builds the last 15 years but I am about to get a 7950x and try the x method with some arctic mx4.

Just to add my experience with my own and a friend’s AM5 builds I put together recently. We went with the spread method using the tool that came with the paste. Kryonaut in this case. Working fine.

DA7EC9C7-91DE-42B9-8B34-12374E89B47C.jpeg

Has a fine edge. Plastic. Small. Perfect for the job. Just don't use one you actually used to scrape kief :)
That was my whole thought process that judging by the prerequisites of being a keef scraper it'd work wonderfully for a paste scraper :LOL:

Edit: I mean, if you do use one that you previously used as a keef scraper it *should* get you HIGHer overclocks hehe

Bare finger, grrrr. No condom thingy. Spread it thin and I put a small dab/pea in the middle (maybe to push air out, maybe for nothing). Seems to work good.

Bare finger, grrrr. No condom thingy. Spread it thin and I put a small dab/pea in the middle (maybe to push air out, maybe for nothing). Seems to work good.
You don't want your finger oils mixed in with the paste. It might be fine at first but it could deteriorate the paste faster. I always used a sandwich bag to spread it.

I put a dollop in the middle and use a freshly washed finger to press and dab repeatedly until the whole surface has a nice even layer. Simple.

You don't want your finger oils mixed in with the paste. It might be fine at first but it could deteriorate the paste faster. I always used a sandwich bag to spread it.
I wash my fingers first, oil free 😌. Never had an issue with method, very consistent temps. Just something different plus I highly doubt finger tip would damage the paste, might make it perform better. :D

Back