Optane acceleration compatible SSDs?

Mangonz

n00b
Just curious about what drives work as I want to cache a big PCIe 3.0 secondary drive, and Optane drives sub 380GB are finally plausibly priced now that Intel is ending them. It seems at least the 800p storage drives can be used for acceleration and with the added size might reduce cache misses for heavy workloads.

I have tested a few myself and Optane acceleration mode works with:

Optane M10 32GB - Works... but not much faster than the PCIe NVME SSD by itself that it's supposed to be accelerating. Old and probably just meant to accelerate mechanical HDDs.
Optane H10 32GB/512GB - Works as above but built in storage.
Optane H20 32GB/512GB - Works and one of the snappiest SSDs I have used. Even beat my old 512GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus OS drive. If there was bigger sizes than 1TB I would just go with this. :(
Optane 800p 118GB - Works, although Intel says it should not. Makes me think Optane acceleration support is broader than Intel state. An Optane PCIe 3.0 x4 drive would probably be faster though.
Optane 905p 380GB - ???
Optane DC P4801x 100GB - ???
Optane DC P5800x 800GB - Not yet tested, have one jammed in logistics hell that will be an OS Drive when it arrives. Out of curiosity I'll test it through PCH to see if acceleration is supported before moving it to CPU lanes.

Anyone tried any other Optane drives for acceleration?

The thing about the old original Optanes is their crazy low latency. I've used a few as cache/pagefile drives with good results.

Just built a new Z690 system, seems some acceleration options have been blocked which is a shame. The 800p no longer works, which is the same controller as the M10.

i have a 900p U.2 280gb and a 905p 380gb i use the U.2 for a cache on my nas and the 905p for boot drive on my 7940x test bench rig just because no one is as dumb as me to pay $600 for this cant even sell it for $300 lol.

Well that's the end of Optane acceleration.
Intel posted the below on their site that Optane Memory is not supported in Z690. Have confirmed the 800p and M10 SSDs that worked for acceleration on my 11th gen ZBook don't work on my Z690 desktop I built over the holiday.
H10/H20 hybrid SSDs theoretically should work still.

Intel® Optane™ Memory Series No Longer Supported In Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management Application

The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver and software will no longer support discrete Intel® Optane™ Memory SKUs starting with version 19.0 and greater.

Note
12th Generation Intel® Processors and related platforms are only suppoted with Intel RST driver version 19.0 and greater. These platforms are not compatible with the devices listed below.

Products included in this notice are:

Intel® Optane™ Memory Series
Intel® Optane™ Memory M10 Series

The problem with Optane was that it was a prototype test idea for Intel that didn't really pan out. IIRC the whole initial premise for it was wrong. Intel pushed it as a 'boost for low cost budget PCs' that came with 1 or 2TB HDDs still. The thing is it would be just cheaper and easier to slap a 250GB SSD in the first place. I get a lot of those cheap PCs to service and few have more than 100GB of data on them.

Interesting and fun to play around with but just not that useful for the high cost and effort. I would have just brought out the 32GB model at $35 as a boost drive/cache option and then 200GB and 400GB versions (more palatable sizes than the 800P we got) for those that wanted really low latency storage.

Back