Opensource video editor with HW acceleration?

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for a video editor that can use hw acceleration with Nvidia cards. Doesn't need to be overly advanced. I have
openshot but the hw accel is still very new and my 1050ti doesn't show up as available.

Use Davinci Resolve. It's freemium. There are a few features that are locked behind its paywall, but if you're looking for free video editors to begin with, it's incredibly unlikely that any of its locked features will prevent you from accomplishing your project.
Resolve is an industry standard product, basically every color grader on the planet uses it at this point, but it's also an incredibly good NLE. In my opinion it's far better than Premiere, even the free version. And the paid version costs far less.

It can use cuda cores. It can in fact use all your CPU cores too. And all your RAM. It's an incredibly well coded program. It is as a result one of the fastest NLE's you can use on any system.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

If you want to check about the items that are paid here's an article that does the breakdown: https://www.toolfarm.com/tutorial/in-depth-davinci-resolve-studio-vs-the-free-version/

Last edited:
Yeah did you see the OP? The HW Acell is very new and none of my cards even show up as an option.
Use Davinci Resolve. It's freemium. There are a few features that are locked behind its paywall, but if you're looking for free video editors to begin with, it's incredibly unlikely that any of its locked features will prevent you from accomplishing your project.
Resolve is an industry standard product, basically every color grader on the planet uses it at this point, but it's also an incredibly good NLE. In my opinion it's far better than Premiere, even the free version. And the paid version costs far less.

It can cuda cores. It can in fact use all your CPU cores too. And all your RAM. It's an incredibly well coded program. It is as a result one of the fastest NLE's you can use on any system.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

If you want to check about the items that are paid here's an article that does the breakdown: https://www.toolfarm.com/tutorial/in-depth-davinci-resolve-studio-vs-the-free-version/
Thanks man, I think I looked at it at one point and it seemed to have a big learning curve. I'll give it a look.

Oh geeze, totally misread that. Whoopsiedaisy. I apologize.

Yeah did you see the OP? The HW Acell is very new and none of my cards even show up as an option.

Thanks man, I think I looked at it at one point and it seemed to have a big learning curve. I'll give it a look.
Blackmagic (the devs) have an entire channel on Youtube with tutorials on how to use Resolve.
There are of course a lot of Youtubers with tutorials as well. There are a few that give entire crash courses in an hour. Here is an example, this one is actually less than an hour:

With any NLE the basic processes are the same: Ingest, Insert Footage on some kind of timeline and Edit it, Some level of Color Grade or other image processing, Export. Basically those hour long crash courses show how to do all those basic functions and to be abundantly clear, none of them are hard. The trouble with learning your first NLE for the first time is that it looks like opening Photoshop for the first time. There is just stuff everywhere and if you don't know what any of it's there for, it seems daunting.

Resolve isn't hyper complicated however. In fact like I mentioned before it's a more streamlined piece of Software than Adobe Premiere (because it was explicitly designed to be - the interface of Resolve was thought about a lot as they know the only way they can gain market-share is not only to be powerful but also easy to use). So definitely check it out. It's definitely the most powerful software in its free version out of any free software. And it's arguably also the most powerful out of all the paid software as well.

Last edited:
Blackmagic (the devs) have an entire channel on Youtube with tutorials on how to use Resolve.
There are of course a lot of Youtubers with tutorials as well. There are a few that give entire crash courses in an hour. Here is an example, this one is actually less than an hour:

With any NLE the basic processes are the same: Ingest, Insert Footage on some kind of timeline and Edit it, Some level of Color Grade or other image processing, Export. Basically those hour long crash courses show how to do all those basic functions and to be abundantly clear, none of them are hard. The trouble with learning your first NLE for the first time is that it looks like opening Photoshop for the first time. There is just stuff everywhere and if you don't know what any of its there for it seems daunting.

Resolve isn't hyper complicated however. In fact like I mentioned before it's a more streamlined piece of Software than Adobe Premiere (because it was explicitly designed to be - the interface of Resolve was thought about a lot as they know the only way they can gain market-share is not only to be powerful but also easy to use). So definitely check it out. It's definitely the most powerful software in its free version out of any free software. And it's arguably also the most powerful out of all the paid software as well.

Thanks, just installed and face it a look. Will mess with it when the time comes to do some work.

Sorry for necroposting, but Google brings this up as 1st result when searching for nle video editing open source hardware accelerated, and here the only opensource reference is the post title, while Davinci Resolve is not opensource by any means, at least not as of today.

I read somewhere that you can enable hardware accel in Kdenlive (not in any user friendly UI, btw), be it for nVidia or AMD/Intel cards, but it is still an experimental feature, it works on Linux only and I did not try it myself, yet.

Do you know of any other opensource NLE software with hardware acceleration available?

Last edited:
Back