OpenCl error help lolminer

szakal161

n00b
Hi I have problem with my mining rig. Can’t find answer :/
So basycly I have little mining rig with 2 cards : Strix 1070ti and gigabyte rtx 2070 oc.
I’m using lolminer to mine cortex.
recently I did bought used and overpriced zotac 1070 amp, so did changed fans and did little maintenance on her. I did take out my rtx from rig and used zotac in that place. All was ok and mining with no problems. 2 days ago after did some testing did rebuild rig with all 3 cards. When I try nine ETC or ETH no problems all cards working and mining. But when I try mine cortex, strix 1070ti and rtx 2070 are mining but zotac 1070 have error: something like: opencl init failure: memory object allocation failure.
I don’t know why that is happening if I have 2 cards all work fine, with 3 cards on this one I got that error -_-
I need solve that fast so if anyone have any solutions I will be grateful :/
0B3377C9-ABC7-4357-AEBF-DDD31C5AA724.png

Attachments

• 385BC75C-1C24-45EF-AE51-51FE0A806E62.png
    385BC75C-1C24-45EF-AE51-51FE0A806E62.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
Since you mentioned you got it used, are you sure the card you got isn't counterfeit (i.e. a lesser card flashed as a 1070)?

Try running GPU-Z and post back results.

Since you mentioned you got it used, are you sure the card you got isn't counterfeit (i.e. a lesser card flashed as a 1070)?

Try running GPU-Z and post back results.
EE01C72F-9DA9-4F86-89DD-21C268095A3D.png

Thinking that it is legit. I have no problem with her as long as I have it in 2 cards configuration, but when I ad 3rd card that problem is showing while mining cortex. No problem with eth I etc. Today I did changed my rig and did put that gtx 1070 directly to motherboard but did not help :/

Since lolminer is closed source, I can't tell from the error message what kind of memory model its trying to allocate against (Host, GPU, Virtual?). I would assume it's failing on a GPU memory allocation (8GB), which just creates more questions.

You can try playing with command line parameters. I'd start with --keepfree 1024, which should reserve 1GB of memory for each device. Yeah, not ideal in the long run, but for the sake of troubleshooting it might let things progress. Then if that works, try scaling the value back (512, 256, 128, 64, etc.) until it breaks again. Go with the smallest value that works.

Also, how much system memory (physical) does this PC have?

Hopefully you selected the correct 1070 in question from the dropdown. If so, it appears legit enough.

Edit: Nevermind, the other was a 1070 Ti. Regardless, GPU-Z is indicating this is a legit 1070. So we can rule out counterfeiting.
Do u have any more ideas ? 😭

Since lolminer is closed source, I can't tell from the error message what kind of memory model its trying to allocate against (Host, GPU, Virtual?). I would assume it's failing on a GPU memory allocation (8GB), which just creates more questions.

You can try playing with command line parameters. I'd start with --keepfree 1024, which should reserve 1GB of memory for each device. Yeah, not ideal in the long run, but for the sake of troubleshooting it might let things progress. Then if that works, try scaling the value back (512, 256, 128, 64, etc.) until it breaks again. Go with the smallest value that works.

Also, how much system memory (physical) does this PC have?
Sorry for question but where I can change those parameters ? I’m noob in that all :-/ 😭

Easiest way is to edit the batch file mine_cortex.bat or whatever you're using to launch lolminer.

In the case of mine_cortex.bat, edit this line:

Code:
lolMiner.exe --coin CTXC --pool !POOL! --user !WALLET!

to look like this:

Code:
lolMiner.exe --coin CTXC --pool !POOL! --user !WALLET! --keepfree 1024

Then save the file and run it.

Easiest way is to edit the batch file mine_cortex.bat or whatever you're using to launch lolminer.

In the case of mine_cortex.bat, edit this line:

Code:
lolMiner.exe --coin CTXC --pool !POOL! --user !WALLET!

to look like this:

Code:
lolMiner.exe --coin CTXC --pool !POOL! --user !WALLET! --keepfree 1024

Then save the file and run it.
9D01CDCB-0162-4A0B-8881-5D22AD03C84F.png
Looks like that problem did wanish on 1070 and did move to 1070ti. When was changing that stuff once 2070 did get that error. And on 1024 settings I did get diffrend error.
57B04E5E-42E3-477D-AB6E-3E1A0D827EF4.png
B0FBD39F-C535-4F8F-86E9-0F2770A1EC57.png
199CB729-3F11-4657-8B42-2C0369770552.png
923B4CD4-B631-447D-8ABB-F298C257C87F.png

Looks like your device order got shifted around compared you your original post. Did you reboot or change anything significantly since your original post?

At least the memory allocation fails somewhat consistently on third device allocation. Makes me wonder if it's trying to allocate more memory on the host than there is physically possible. I bet if you drop the 3rd gpu it will work. Loliminer has command line options that let you specify which devices to use.

You said the other mining algos work fine with all three? Just the cortex is busted?

I'm starting to lean towards this being a bug in the cortex opencl implementation. That, or you don't meet the system requirements for all devices for cortex (which seems weird if all other algos work fine).

Since my first post did rebuild rig and did changed slots where cards are. Mayebe there is some other miner wich one can mine that coin ? Cuzz I have no idea -_-

91DAD00E-6B94-4A5D-A1FC-EE827A74C13C.png

Looking like that I have some problems with ERGO as well. Nanaminer run like 1-2min and it is restarting. But there is no problem with 2 card config 🤔

13625D55-849A-4BA4-ACD4-25B2C3A4B91F.jpeg

Did try change some stuff in bios like my main Graphic to be onboard and did played with memory allocation in bios but then my 2070 was not working and any miner did not see it -_-

I'm no expert on mining software, so maybe someone else who's driven 3+ gpus in a motherboard with 8GB of RAM can chime in. That said, one of these things are probably happening:

- 8 GB of physical RAM is not enough to drive 3 devices, at least for mining. Again, you have 24 GB of VRAM spread out over 3 devices that have to map their results to host memory (in this case, 8GB). This is how CUDA and OpenCL work. Can't say I've ever looked at coin mining software implementation details. But like any good software, the authors should document system requirements for any configuration they support. Period.

- I've heard through various internet forums (reddit, etc.) certain motherboards act a little funny with gpus in their 3rd, 4th, etc. PCIe slots. This is either due to poor implementation or some limit in their driver. Without verification from someone else with the exact same configuration as you (same motherboard, same # of gpus with similar vram), it's going to be hard to prove that theory.

The more evidence you pile up, the more it confirms that the issue is that the mining software can't properly allocate some resource on the 3rd device, which coincidently happens to be in the 3rd PCIe slot? It's fairly convincing, based on the evidence presented, that the 3rd slot is culprit.

Have you tried just launching the mining software only targeting the 3rd gpu? In other words, gpu #1 and gpu #2 are present but explicitly disabled (via configuration or command line parameter). This would be a good way to prove that the gpu in the 3rd slot can mine at all.

Last edited:
Another thing you can try is increasing virtual memory in Windows. Last I checked, you need 3GB per gpu (at least for ETH), so 9GB bare minimum. I'd bump that up to 12GB or more just to be safe.

There are plenty of guides out there on how to do this. It's pretty easy.

I am running 4 cards in my mining rig, using 8gb of ram.

Three of the cards are 11gb and the fourth is 8gb. They all run fine. I was told I needed to set a pagefile in windows to match the video card ram capacity +2gb. So my page file is set to a persistent 43gb. Never had an issues.

I am running 4 cards in my mining rig, using 8gb of ram.

Three of the cards are 11gb and the fourth is 8gb. They all run fine. I was told I needed to set a pagefile in windows to match the video card ram capacity +2gb. So my page file is set to a persistent 43gb. Never had an issues.
FE0D14AA-2D84-485C-9B46-81FDC637C0A5.png

Does not work :/

What do you mean if doesn't work? Change the value in those two boxes. For 3x8 cards I would set it to 26gb minimum and maximum.
Lol setting it to 26gb actually did worked 😅 it is mining ERG on all 3 cards ^^ really Thx guys !! I was fighting with that problem few days -_- u guys really did my day ^^ thx again 🥰
DD14B7A1-9E8A-4DDA-91D4-B5979D2D80DB.jpeg
6E116C9B-2E25-4248-8C90-DF2CCB7028FF.png

Last edited:
Back