Open Source Cloud Software

travm

2[H]4U
I'm looking for some software that I can use to operate my own cloud. Mostly internal network, its not even necessary that it can reach out across a WAN, although i'm sure all software has this feature.

I'm looking for something like Dropbox's sync where I have local folders mirrored across multiple machines. I don't need to be able to work concurrently, but I want my files available on whatever computer I'm sitting at.

Currently using dropbox, but not happy being limited to 3 clients. Would also prefer to own my own infrastructure.

I have not installed it personally but I have accessed and used others Owncloud. They have a free community edition that seems feature complete or enterprise if you need support.

You can google your way thru setting up storage, ordered or unordered.
Then you dive into how you want to sync the data, my preference is 3 seaparate volumes.
You can present an entry with a local web app, secure it however you want.
My preference is a hardware key like yubikey.

I don’t advocate leaving a web app at home facing the world, have a jump box you access to get into your network.

These are the basic primitive ideas that form most of these personal storage applications.

Pick a Linux distortion, they can all be setup to handle this need.

somebrains
Jumpbox, new term for me. Thank you for introducing that to me.
Yeah, bc you can’t badge into your cloud provider to physically get into your cage and do anything.
We used to setup remote access on a VM, rotate that vms config so it wasn’t sitting on the same port same ip listening all the time.
You can do the same thing, but having a yubikey is much simpler.

Back