Open season at Newegg on 5850's!

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
HIS, Sapphire, and Diamond, I believe. For now.

Appear to be quite a few XFX 5870's, as well. Some of the prices might sting a little, tho.

Last edited:
Wow, they lasted the night. Guess the price point is finally a bit too high . . . or stock is finally stabilizing?

Last edited:
Or there was always plenty of stock, and just price gouging.

I'd rather believe this.

It's not price gouging; it's how you run a business. If you have a product that is in such high demand that you can't produce enough to keep it on store shelves, it makes no sense whatsoever to leave the price as is. The level of demand is so high such that the price could be raised and the increase translated into pure profit, because the increase in price will not correspond to lower sales.

The MSRP is a guess, anyway, because they have to set one before they know the true level of demand. Obviously the real demand in the market was higher than they thought.

You can expect retailers to start competing amongst themselves very soon after stock stabilizes, even if ATI/AMD leaves the MSRP at the higher value for a while.

I'm surprised nvidia hasn't capitalized on this and started lowering the prices on their cards to put a damper on ati's 5800 unavailability. Looks like it's too late now, as their cards appear to be a bit more available.

I'm surprised nvidia hasn't capitalized on this and started lowering the prices on their cards to put a damper on ati's 5800 unavailability. Looks like it's too late now, as their cards appear to be a bit more available.
that makes zero sense. why they lower their prices when the competition isnt able to make enough cards?

that makes zero sense. why they lower their prices when the competition isnt able to make enough cards?
Because then people that are wanting a 5850 would be unable to resist the lower price and nVidia would gain market share. Not complicated.

Because then people that are wanting a 5850 would be unable to resist the lower price and nVidia would gain market share. Not complicated.
still doesnt make sense. there is very little availability of the 5800 cards plus they went up in price which widened the price gap even more. not to mention Nvidia had a little bit of a supply issue themselves with the gtx200 cards. there is ZERO reason for Nvidia to lower prices at this point.

Because they have already ceased production on many of their lines in response to ATI's cards kicking their ass. Prices are relatively high on nvidia cards because they only have a few left to sell and they will all eventually sell at the high prices they are at now. Secondly, their profit on those cards is already pretty small anyway, so lowering the prices any further would suck even more for them.

Back