Online storage question - must be windows / newb friendly?

dvsman

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a cheap / free way to share files with my folks / family overseas. I normally use Onedrive (I'm running the Office 365 1TB package) and Google Drive (Free version) - but I don't want to tie the files to my personal accounts in case something happens to me / them.

Also the reason I'm asking for windows / newb friendly apps is for the other users / family members who may not be as [H] as you or I might be (some of my relatives and my parents are in their 70s, so ... I try to keep it as simple as possible).

This is what I was thinking of doing: When I want to share stuff - nothing confidential or controversial - letters or pictures - I could upload it to the cloud and either share the link or convert the link to a QR and send that to them. Whoever receives it can just open their smartphone QR app and scan it and hopefully, boom done!

Nothing complicated, no FTP, no web browsing - just a smart phone with a QR reader app and maybe a PDF reader app.

Thoughts?

I'm looking for a cheap / free way to share files with my folks / family overseas. I normally use Onedrive (I'm running the Office 365 1TB package) and Google Drive (Free version) - but I don't want to tie the files to my personal accounts in case something happens to me / them.

Also the reason I'm asking for windows / newb friendly apps is for the other users / family members who may not be as [H] as you or I might be (some of my relatives and my parents are in their 70s, so ... I try to keep it as simple as possible).

This is what I was thinking of doing: When I want to share stuff - nothing confidential or controversial - letters or pictures - I could upload it to the cloud and either share the link or convert the link to a QR and send that to them. Whoever receives it can just open their smartphone QR app and scan it and hopefully, boom done!

Nothing complicated, no FTP, no web browsing - just a smart phone with a QR reader app and maybe a PDF reader app.

Thoughts?

You're making this too complicated.

Google Drive and invite other users to your account. Share the folders you want. When you upload something they'll get a notification. If you want you can send a link.

Here's the thing, I'm not going to assume everyone has a google / gmail account or even an email account at all. I basically want to dumb this down to a few button clicks that anyone that picks up their smartphone (and maybe has 2 apps - the QR and PDF reader) can use. No email notifications even - I can send the link / QR through a chatapp, like Whatsapp or Line (those are big in Asia even for old folks).

That aside, after doing some poking around - it does look like Google Drive is the way to go - One Drive (free) is 5gb while Google Drive (free) is 15gb.

I don't actually use google drive but doesn't it offer a "right click to create share link" type function?

Yep it does. It looks like that's what I might end up using. I just wanted to get feedback from the [H] on what they might be using, in case there were other / better options. Thanks for the input, though.

Back