One Weird Trick Relaunching RTX 4080 12GB as 4070 Ti

I recall the leaked benchmarks showing it landing between the 3080 and the 3080TI,
It was much closer in 4k native to a 3090TI than those cards at playable fps scenarios:
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...icial-gaming-benchmarks-huge-performance-gap/

0x2160-nvidia-dlss-desktop-gpu-performance-740x484.png

0x2160-nvidia-dlss-desktop-gpu-performance-740x484.png

According to Nvidia's own (generally cherry picked and BS) benchmarks the 4080 12GB was a weak **70 entry. It will be an even weaker **70Ti.
How so, what performance relative to the previous 3070TI would make it not a weak **70 entry ?

Using that logic, the 3080 and 3090 were always in stock if you wanted to overpay for one
Not new from the serious store I just looked at, mining would have made it impossible even for AIB high price for that to exist back in the days.

Not new from the serious store I just looked at, mining would have made it impossible even for AIB high price for that to exist back in the days.

I don't know what stores you're looking at. Amazon and Newegg had them from 3rd party sellers for double the price virtually all the time. Also, reselling sites like StockX and Ebay always had NIB stock if you wanted to pay for it.

Why would Nvidia lower prices when they still sell every card regardless of its price? The market has given them no reason to lower their prices. Nvidia themselves are surprised they are selling as well as they are right now.

As much as I hate this, I agree. Everyone here is complaining about it because we all know it’s stupid, and yet people lined up pre-opening to buy a $1600 video card, so if I’m Jensen Huang, the 5090 price will now be $1800, and the same people will buy it. KTHXBYE. Everyone begging for AMD to come in and undercut them on price aren’t buying AMD when they do anyway, which is the second part of that problem.

Exactly...historically, Nvidia actually has used the same GPUs for the XX70 series. This time it wasn't the same but they tried to keep the same 4080 model name.

The 2070 Super was the same TU104 die as the 2080 and super...they were different models.
The 1070, 1070Ti, and 1080 all used GP104 dies
The 970 and 980 used GM204 dies

I'm sure I could keep going if I looked. Even the 1060 6gb and 3gb which had totally different specs were the same GP106 for most of the production.

It’s rational to segment product like that from a development and manufacturing standpoint. Not all chips can meet tier one, so resell as tier two, problem solved.

I don't know what stores you're looking at. Amazon and Newegg had them from 3rd party sellers for double the price virtually all the time. Also, reselling sites like StockX and Ebay always had NIB stock if you wanted to pay for it.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=230976
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=231438

Could be a bug in their inventory and could take a while to ship in reality, but seeing AIB overprice and not scalped third reseller price on a 4080 available for Add To Cart online shipping it is not something I remember seeing with the 3080, just the more expensive 3090.

Last edited:
Series X have been easy to get in a windows recently, but now with the holidays season it seem you must work to find them again.

It was multiple from price to grossly misleading marketing, I mean even for NVIDIA marketing team:
View attachment 530727

Calling the 4080 12GB 2-4x faster than a 3080TI is pushing it.

In particular to the 4080 16gb to 12gb was how low they want and still used the xx80 monikor and price on t he 4080 12GB

4090.........: AD102 76.3 millions transistor, 16,384 cores, 384 bits, 1,008 bandwith
4080 16gb: AD103, 45.9 millions transistor, 9,728 cores, 256 bits, 716 gb/s bandwith
4080 12gb: AD104 35.8 millions transistor, 7,680 cores, 192 bits 500 gb/s bandwith
Oh man these games Jensen is playing ugggh surely the greed knows no limits. Could this border on some kokd of bait and switch federal crime, maybe even anti trust?

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=230976
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=231438

Could be a bug in their inventory and could take a while to ship in reality, but seeing AIB overprice and not scalped third reseller price on a 4080 available for Add To Cart online shipping it is something I remember seeing with the 3080, just the more expensive 3090.
Given the exchange rate and import fees associated with electronics in Canada neither of those pricetags is unreasonable, especially given the 3090s are still going for more than that here.

If this is true, I'm expecting to see the same outrage over the 7900XT vs the 7900XTX. Right?... right?...
Two things: 1) people have already been jeering at AMD for the dumb naming scheme, though doing so is not much different from calling a card ti vs the baseline;

and 2) there is a long history of graphics cards that have alternate amounts of RAM listed on the label differing ONLY in the RAM spec and otherwise having an identical GPU powering the different cards. This is like the ATI 5870 vs the later 2GB or the GTX 580 vs the later GTX 580 3GB. However, Nvidia has been repeat offender in also significantly changing the GPU spec when changing the amount of RAM. When, for example, people found out the 1060 3GB was more than just a cut down of the RAM size, but then additionally had a cut down GPU, there was outcry over the obfuscation. That Nvidia would do it with an "80" series card, especially when charging such an extreme premium for the regular 4080, when the faux 80 is really a 70 series and an expected inordinately high price for the 12GB now 70ti is the bigger source of outrage.

Two things: 1) people have already been jeering at AMD for the dumb naming scheme, though doing so is not much different from calling a card ti vs the baseline;

and 2) there is a long history of graphics cards that have alternate amounts of RAM listed on the label differing ONLY in the RAM spec and otherwise having an identical GPU powering the different cards. This is like the ATI 5870 vs the later 2GB or the GTX 580 vs the later GTX 580 3GB. However, Nvidia has been repeat offender in also significantly changing the GPU spec when changing the amount of RAM. When, for example, people found out the 1060 3GB was more than just a cut down of the RAM size, but then additionally had a cut down GPU, there was outcry over the obfuscation. That Nvidia would do it with an "80" series card, especially when charging such an extreme premium for the regular 4080, when the faux 80 is really a 70 series and an expected inordinately high price for the 12GB now 70ti is the bigger source of outrage.
Not sure why the need to defend a corporation by throwing the other under the bus. All I said is everyone should hold both companies to the same standard. I neither asked nor needed a run down of what the big bad Nvidia has done.

Back