OLED monitors incoming!

I do wonder what they did/will do with the retention or burn-in issues. A PC monitor that is halfway between plasma and LCD might not be that attractive.

Maybe... use an LCD for desktop stuff, reserve the OLED for games? :)

I do wonder what they did/will do with the retention or burn-in issues. A PC monitor that is halfway between plasma and LCD might not be that attractive.

Maybe... use an LCD for desktop stuff, reserve the OLED for games? :)

Compared to AMOLED the LG's WRGB Oled should be more resistent to image retention / burn in, but still not impervous to it. Thats why screensavers were made though. It seems like nobody remembers that CRT's could burn in too though I admit it needs a LOT of static image abuse before that happens, way more than plasma and oled.

There seems to be a lot of talk about the inherent inferiority of lgs white like oled tech with filters to achieve the desired color vs samsungs rgb oled sub pixels... Can someone elaborate on why the latter is technically superior in color or other factors?

I thought the main reason lg went with white oled was because of the differential lifespans of blue oled vs red and green. Has that been addressed to the point where it is a non issue? TV screens and monitor screens will almost certainly be on for longer periods than the typical smartphone display so this is even more important.

By using filters is there a loss in color accuracy vs just using rgb sub pixels?

Is there an increase in total display latency using the filters?

Something else I am not aware of?

nice question the one about the filter.. really really clever one..
it depends i suppose on how well the filter is calibrated on nanometers wavelenght... to transform light int colours..

a filter is nothing more than a sheet.. so i dnn't see how could add latency, instead would be interesting know how faster would be this on off oled against an rgb one, in theory faster... less electronic.

There seems to be a lot of talk about the inherent inferiority of lgs white like oled tech with filters to achieve the desired color vs samsungs rgb oled sub pixels... Can someone elaborate on why the latter is technically superior in color or other factors?

I thought the main reason lg went with white oled was because of the differential lifespans of blue oled vs red and green. Has that been addressed to the point where it is a non issue? TV screens and monitor screens will almost certainly be on for longer periods than the typical smartphone display so this is even more important.

By using filters is there a loss in color accuracy vs just using rgb sub pixels?

Is there an increase in total display latency using the filters?

Something else I am not aware of?

Technically it should not be any worse compared to full RGB OLED but I make an educated guess that the possible problems do arise from the fact that it also needs an extra unfiltered white pixel (where the name WRGB comes from) which a normal RGB signal as no information for on its own. RGB OLED/AMOLED would produce whites by blasting all the leds at full brightness where LG's WRGB OLED produces whites with the extra pixel. IIRC its also there to boost the brightness of blues that would be too dark on its own. I guess it all depends how accurately the internal processing (might be the source of the lag on TVs?) converts the RGB signal to take the extra pixel into account. I guess its quite succesfull because as far as hometheater folk are concerned the reviews have been glowing so far. An extra white should not be as difficult as, say, an extra yellow pixel Sharp (or atleast I think it was Sharp) once experimented with.

There seems to be a lot of talk about the inherent inferiority of lgs white like oled tech with filters to achieve the desired color vs samsungs rgb oled sub pixels...

Where is this "talk"? LG's pixel setup is quite brilliant actually.

Thats why screensavers were made though.
That doesn't help when you want to use the monitor, which is where the problem lies. I always had monitors turn off after 10-15 mins of no activity, be it CRT or LCD.

Last edited:
There are no filters. There's just an additional white subpixel (green is off here):

There are no colored subpixels/leds in the LG OLED layout, each pixel is a white led diode, and there are color filters over the ones designated for R,G and B.

I'm not sure what the point of talking about the advantages/disadvantages of other subpixel arrangements is, since LG's is literally the only one that's manufacturable at scale for displays larger than tablets. Samsung gave up on large screen OLED, they simply can't make them.

Sancus: Looks like I missed that and indeed that appears to be the case. That's probably how they solved the uneven lifespan of different subpixels. But I would guess that also means they lose efficiency.

The WRGB subpixel structure is the main issue, rather than using white OLED material + color filters.
If their monitors use a standard RGB subpixel layout with white OLED materials, I'm sure it would be fine.

I would certainly prefer an RGB native display, instead of a filtered white display, but it's probably not going to hurt image quality unless you need a really wide gamut display.

The WRGB subpixel structure is the main issue, rather than using white OLED material + color filters.
If their monitors use a standard RGB subpixel layout with white OLED materials, I'm sure it would be fine.

I would certainly prefer an RGB native display, instead of a filtered white display, but it's probably not going to hurt image quality unless you need a really wide gamut display.

My LG OLED is gorgeous. I see no issue with the color filter tech - probably just Samsung trying to bash them for it.

Back