old school SLI on Ryzen mobo?

cdoublejj

Gawd
do any of the ryzen mobos or chipset support old school cable driven SLI? i have a pair of old water cool GTX 480s and stock pile of hardware and machines and cases. i though aobut building an older ryzen in an atx htpc case pr atx tower for fun and playing with the gtx 480s especially given the gpu shortage.

wonder if i could over clock those babies? maybe a cheap B450 board or something? first gen ryzen slap it in a HTPC case and use it for 1080p youtube and a few bench marks to run just once lol

Some boards still Crossfire with the no ribbon needed AMD cards , I was using a 2200g with 2 x RX 570 on a cheap Gigabyte B350 board http://www.3dmark.com/fs/17306064

x58 was the best because of full x16 on both slot 1 and 2 and x8 on slot 3 I think thats how it was on mine .

Last edited:
did they make any icro atx x470s? actualy i think i can fit atx, are used x470s expensive now?

I think you need at least 8 lanes on both slots to support SLI; 16x + 4x won't work. That pretty much limits it to some (not all) X370/X470/X570 boards and IIRC a small handful of B450/B550 boards (B450/B550 doesn't officially support bifurcation) when I've been Ryzen board shopping the past few years I have seen a number that specifically spec SLI support so they're out there. ASUS X470 Prime was one I've had that supported 8x/8x bifurcation and SLI but that's just a random example. MicroATX AM4 boards with dual full-length 8x slots are very difficult to find for whatever reason... I'm sure they exist but I can't think of any off the top of my head. mATX Ryzen boards tend to be 16x/4x while the ATX boards get bifurcation.

My current board , picked it up on newegg refurbished for $75 and then flashed it for my 3700x and been using it since Aug 2019 .. says it does 3 way Crossfire and has 3 full slots but I never tried the board https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS and I don't think AMD is going pay to put a Sli logo on there products but doesn't mean it's not there .

It says that 5600x/5800x/5900x/5950x are supported with bios flash as I was thinking of getting a 5800x but that extra power and heat is a draw back to my 3700x . I like MSI boards myself and (own 3) here is that $75 board running my RTX 3070 on a PCI Express x16 riser mount as I have it mounted like a test bench it my case .

Last edited:
Back