Old Laptop's motherboard went kaputt... "new" one not working either...

tk3000

n00b
My venerable and old laptop (Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200 equipped with an i7-4700MQ, circa 2014) and previously a powerful machine during its heyday is no more. Have been using it for many years, but about 3 months ago it went kaputt for no apparent reason (left it on overnight [normally it goes to standby mode after some idle time], and in the morning it was cold dead with no boot, no post, no leds; nothing at all).

Since the early 1990s I have been building custom desktop computers, etc; but it has been few years since my last build, and for the last 15 years I have sporadically built very few desktop computers. So, I am not abreast of all the new development in terms of computer hardware, etc.

As aforementioned, the laptop was dead. I went ahead and took it apart, removed the motherboard and performed some basic tests - continuity, resistance, and then volt injection. It seems that there is a partial short somewhere, probably a capacitor; but I could not pinpoint it in a timely manner. So, soon I realized that the likelihood of fixing it was not high, and it would be very time consuming. So, I went ahead and ordered another motherboard (presumably refurbished) on aliexpress of all places (not recommended really)

Subsequently, installed the motherboard with the processor, memory, and ancilliary systems and subsystems installed and connected. Once most of of the system was assembled, I tried to turn it on but the system did not even boot up, nor POST, no nothing. When the power button is pressed the led lights up for a split of a second and then goes off and nothing happens (no fan, nothing on screen, nothing...). When it is connected to the power supply/adapter the the power indicator on the motherboard led lights up, and when the battery is installed the battery charging light lights up as well; other than that, there is no sign of life.

But one thing went amiss, I I forgot to affix on the back of the new motherboard the thin small cpu's heatsink bracket. Since it is a small and very thin bracket which seemed to be an integral part of the old motherboard I did not notice its presence or absence. Anyhow, even without the heatsink bracket the heatsink is making contact with the cpu; so even though the heatsink is not putting enough pressure on the cpu die, the cpu should not overheat so fast to the point that it would not even post or boot up at all -- at least that is an assumption I am making.

Any insights would be appreciated.

My only insights would be try it with one stick of RAM, then swap slots, try it with as little connected as possible except the CPU/heatsink. Definitely try to fix the bracket thing so you have full pressure with fresh thermal paste on the chip. I can't make any assumptions on what part of the boot process could make the CPU hot. If you have another power brick, swap that in, too. Can't assume anything is innocent, here! lol

But yeah, I wonder how much stuff on ebay/axpress that is claimed to be 100% tested working, actually is?

My only insights would be try it with one stick of RAM, then swap slots, try it with as little connected as possible except the CPU/heatsink. Definitely try to fix the bracket thing so you have full pressure with fresh thermal paste on the chip. I can't make any assumptions on what part of the boot process could make the CPU hot. If you have another power brick, swap that in, too. Can't assume anything is innocent, here! lol

But yeah, I wonder how much stuff on ebay/axpress that is claimed to be 100% tested working, actually is?
It seems that this motherboard is shot. Once it was properly reassembled (board with the proper heatsink back bracket, etc), did most basic tests eliminating all possible points of failure or faultness to no avail.

To make things worse, I purchased mine at aliexpress; so it came straight from China. And their warranty is basically non-existent. Guess, I will have to file a claim with my credit card. Ebay is not too bad, but aliexpress is a disaster in terms of safeguards; so it is a hit or miss: if you are luck the and item is functioning property, you saved a little bit of money; if it is not working, you are screwed.

Last edited:
I've always heard that, but I've had two issues on aliexpress, and after a little game they play, I got a refund both times. They like to play a little game where they try to offer you some percent off. You have to deny those offers and stick with a 100% refund. But you do have a limited window to even start that process. If it's been weeks, then you'd have to try a different route.

Yeah, I don't understand why people buy 99% of the things they buy on ali because they're the same price or close enough on ebay. But there are some things like hobby electronics items that are just so much cheaper or not available at all, anywhere else. Battery BMSs, TP4056 charger modules, DC-DC buck/boost supplies, certain LEDs, MCPCBs... the list goes on. But every time I go I see crap that nobody should buy, ever. I just bookmark the stores that have advantageous shipping policies that encourage volume sales by not raising shipping prices every time you add a new item to your cart.

Back