Official PS5 Thread

the whole ps4 platform sucked balls for downloads, it was always shocking to me how god awful slow downloads were on my ps4 slim compared to my stock xbox one and pc. The ps5 though? Fucking amazing, I set 5 games to download and over the next 2 hours was bombarded by notifications that games were ready, way way faster than the ps4 ever was.
I just downloaded a 20GB PS4 game to my PS5 and got at least 50-60MB/s (~+400Mbps?) on my 600Mbps connection. I used to just start the game download and go do something else. Nice improvement there.

I just downloaded a 20GB PS4 game to my PS5 and got at least 50-60MB/s (~+400Mbps?) on my 600Mbps connection. I used to just start the game download and go do something else. Nice improvement there.
yup, I think battlefield 1 is around 45gb and was done within the hour, on the ps4 it took just about an hour for the "copying" alone not to mention the god awful speeds. I relied heavily on remote installs because if you didn't start the install during the morning you might as well not plan on playing till the next day lol

the whole ps4 platform sucked balls for downloads, it was always shocking to me how god awful slow downloads were on my ps4 slim compared to my stock xbox one and pc. The ps5 though? Fucking amazing, I set 5 games to download and over the next 2 hours was bombarded by notifications that games were ready, way way faster than the ps4 ever was.

I figured out that usually if you have any games/applications open still, the download speeds to suck ass. Once I actually close any games still open in the background, the download speeds would at least jump to 50+ Mb/s.

lmao literally spent 12 hours refreshing the PS Direct store page and still missed the drop tonight. Looks like the way they have the queue set up right now, it's largely a lottery type system. I.e. if 10,000 people are refreshing/active on the site, it assigns them all a random order in the queue, so someone gets a shot who maybe just logged in 30 seconds ago but someone like me refreshing all day doesn't get shit.

Really fucking frustrating, now for sure I'm 100% done with this. Hopefully stock becomes more sane by early next year.

lmao literally spent 12 hours refreshing the PS Direct store page and still missed the drop tonight. Looks like the way they have the queue set up right now, it's largely a lottery type system. I.e. if 10,000 people are refreshing/active on the site, it assigns them all a random order in the queue, so someone gets a shot who maybe just logged in 30 seconds ago but someone like me refreshing all day doesn't get shit.

Really fucking frustrating, now for sure I'm 100% done with this. Hopefully stock becomes more sane by early next year.
You can't join the queue hours before it forms. But yeah, very frustrating. The PS5 Direct queue is worse than the other retail drops imo. At least those just go out of stock and I can go on with my day. The Sony drops give me false hope and waste time.

You can't join the queue hours before it forms. But yeah, very frustrating. The PS5 Direct queue is worse than the other retail drops imo. At least those just go out of stock and I can go on with my day. The Sony drops give me false hope and waste time.
of course not, I didn't say that. The idea was that by auto-refreshing you would ensure your place in the line no matter when it starts. come on man. lol

Reactions: DPI
like this
You can't join the queue hours before it forms.
You sorta could as of last Friday - having an active store session with something in the cart appeared to make one immune - I ever got queued. But the behavior of the site has been changing by the day as the web devs update it - no more queue bypass etc.

There's various speculation and circumstantial evidence for how it works now, with some saying they were auto refreshing all day in Chrome and still got queued, but then opened an Incognito window and immediately got in, or opened in Safari and got in. Maybe it's lottery based, and if so presumably browser session or cookie based somehow rather than IP based in those scenarios.

Just relax, it will happen for you guys. But don't spend all day watching your browser or you'll go insane.

Last edited:
You sorta could as of last Friday - having an active store session with something in the cart appeared to make one immune - I ever got queued. But the behavior of the site has been changing by the day as the web devs update it - no more queue bypass etc.

There's various speculation and circumstantial evidence for how it works now, with some saying they were auto refreshing all day in Chrome and still got queued, but then opened an Incognito window and immediately got in, or opened in Safari and got in. Maybe it's lottery based, and if so presumably browser session or cookie based somehow rather than IP based in those scenarios.

Just relax, it will happen for you guys. But don't spend all day watching your browser or you'll go insane.
with the PS Direct store, you have to watch your browser all day, there's no other way to do it. You can't use alerts for it now because of the way the queue works. They start the queue exactly 30 minutes before stock shows up, then "release the kraken" and work through the queue. If you wait for alerts you'll get dusted 30 minutes behind everyone else. You have to be watching your chatroom or Twitter feed of choice like a hawk so that you can get in the moment that sucker goes live.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Been playing around with Astro's Playroom. It's actually really neat. It's somewhere between a tech demo and a real game, but it does both things really well. Tons of nostalgia for old PS owners, too. I know it's not super compelling to play it vs. something like Demon's Souls, but give it a try. For a freebie, I dig it.

So, I stupidly found out that I've been playing the PS4 version of CoD:BOCW all this time. I guess the PS5 version officially launched later, but allowed you to download and play the PS4 version. As of right how, I only have 85 GB free on my PS5.

So, I stupidly found out that I've been playing the PS4 version of CoD:BOCW all this time. I guess the PS5 version officially launched later, but allowed you to download and play the PS4 version. As of right how, I only have 85 GB free on my PS5.
Check setting and management for the game, not sure if it works on ps5 but on my xsx I was able to select which parts of the game to keep. I had no interest in the campaign so I got rid of that and it was just about half the size of the game, think my options for disabling/cutting content were:

Multiplayer
Campaign
Zombie
HD Textures
Ray Tracing

Last edited:
So, I was able to score 2 ps5s.
One on the gamestop bundle drop... 2 games, 2 controls, ps+ for a year and razer kraken headphones for $828... ugh.. At least one of the games was demon's souls.. and my son broke his headset so that was on the xmas list.
The other was the walmart drop... This time the ps5 was in my cart from last time... just hit f5 to check out and breezed on through.

Now I need to figure out if I cancel one or keep both and burn in hell by flipping one.

Last edited:
One on the gamestop bundle drop... 2 games, 2 controls, ps+ for a year and razer kraken headphones for $828... ugh.. At least one of the games was demon's souls.. and my son broke his headset so that was on the xmas list.
The other was the walmart drop... This time the ps5 was in my cart from last time... just hit f5 to check out and breezed on through.

Now I need to figure out if I cancel one or keep both and burn in hell by flipping one.
nice. I didn't want a GS bundle, and Walmart crumbled completely as I tried to check out

nice. I didn't want a GS bundle, and Walmart crumbled completely as I tried to check out
I'm not thrilled about the gs bundle. I will for sure be selling the 2nd control and spiderman. Probably worth it to keep apply the ps+ card... so it stops hitting my card every month. I would be selling the headset too if my son could keep one working for more than 6 months.

there's a queue again on PS Direct. I was literally sitting here monitoring chat, saw people spamming it, tryed to get in on my incognito window and it just would NOT go into the damn queue. switched back to normal window and it put me in, gonna guess it once again shafted me about a minute too late. FML

Looks like the new consoles won't fit in your entertainment center, hah. Or did you plan to sit them on top and keep the old Xbone and PS4 in their spots? I like that they have their respective LED colors and hope you can turn them down/off easily too.

Yeah, pretty sure DF mentioned on their live stream the other night that you can play unpatched games right off the disk, which is a nice perk for them when they want to test/play games that initially had unlocked framerates like AC Unity did on the disc version. They also liked that you can easily switch between PS4 and PS5 versions of games, which you can't do on Xbox with its Smart Delivery, because so far some games (like Bugsnax) run faster/smoother on the PS4 versions. Ideally you would never have to do that or choose between versions, but I guess it's still nice to have the option if that's the case.

Yes. You can play right out of the box for the PS5.

there's a queue again on PS Direct. I was literally sitting here monitoring chat, saw people spamming it, tryed to get in on my incognito window and it just would NOT go into the damn queue. switched back to normal window and it put me in, gonna guess it once again shafted me about a minute too late. FML
What exact time did you get in?

What exact time did you get in?
it showed 3:02 on the clock, but as I watched the page for one minute or so, a second captcha appeared (just a checkbox) and when i clicked that, it kinda refreshed the queue and increased the wait time to 1hr+. no idea if it actually killed my first position in the queue or not.

it showed 3:02 on the clock, but as I watched the page for one minute or so, a second captcha appeared (just a checkbox) and when i clicked that, it kinda refreshed the queue and increased the wait time to 1hr+. no idea if it actually killed my first position in the queue or not.
This also happened to me too. I refreshed, my queue at first was under 1 minute, then 3 minutes....Then went to over an hour and all I did was refresh once. That was right at 1:01pm PST.

So maybe I am still in queue to get one? Who knows I guess we will find out.

This also happened to me too. I refreshed, my queue at first was under 1 minute, then 3 minutes....Then went to over an hour and all I did was refresh once. That was right at 1:01pm PST.

So maybe I am still in queue to get one? Who knows I guess we will find out.
Gonna go with a no on this one. :/

I'm seeing people say their bar is already moving, so gonna call this another L. During the other drops this week, if your bar started moving about 15 minutes before the opening, you got one, if not, you didn't

I'm seeing people say their bar is already moving, so gonna call this another L. During the other drops this week, if your bar started moving about 15 minutes before the opening, you got one, if not, you didn't
Yeah my bar is moving for sure. I also got a message at 1:11pm. But, I aint holding out hope I got one.

1605820976336.png

Take everyone else's anecdotal experiences with a grain of salt, especially on nowinstock - lots of FUD to get others to abandon the queue. Sony keeps changing the behavior on the queue. Just relax and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Take everyone else's anecdotal experiences with a grain of salt, especially on nowinstock - lots of FUD to get people to abandon the queue. Sony keeps changing the behavior on the queue. Just relax and hope for the best.
The behavior of the queue has been the same all this week.
Untitled.jpg

If you want to sell the PS5 and Spider-Man at a reasonable price I'd buy.

My Walmart attempt failed three seconds in and I'm still at "more than an hour" in the Sony Q...
Here's my suggestion after what I learned this week:

- PS Direct queues start just after the hour (e.g. 3:01, 10:01, etc)
- don't keep a Sony tab open refreshing or anything like that
- just monitor a chat like Nowinstock's Disqus thread and wait for people to start yelling about the queue being live
- open a new tab and click your PS Direct bookmark
- solve captcha
- WATCH THE QUEUE PAGE because there might be a second captcha (or more)
- profit

- just monitor a chat like Nowinstock's Disqus thread and wait for people to start yelling about the queue being live
- solve captcha
- profit

Cool, thank you. I'll do that.

- solve captcha
- profit

I can't seem to find that Disqus page...

Here's a random tip. If you do manage to get in the queue early enough to snag one AND you have a PS Plus subscription, don't forget to select the free express shipping option! It defaults to standard even if you have Plus. I actually risked an extra 5 seconds to my check out time to go back and change that when I realized I forgot to select express, lol

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back