Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is legit - it's from the same address as the original emails and it's confirmed by others. Does just seem meh though. But I guess the reasoning is that these orders are being handled by hand, and apparently this is the first shipment of Xtreme cards into the US.
Your e-mail to them is NOT secured in transit. A PDF containing it does nothing to protect your CC information in e-mail. Any of the hops it takes from your mail client to theirs are unsecured.

Your e-mail to them is NOT secured in transit. A PDF containing it does nothing to protect your CC information in e-mail. Any of the hops it takes from your mail client to theirs are unsecured.
It just seems crazy. Especially for people using debit cards instead of credit. I get that some small companies do operate this way, but this is gigabyte, and the amount of customers they are requesting this data from is huge.

Yanno, Microcenter always has "in store only" for items that people actually want, either insane cpu/mb combo deals or hell just a 30 series card, no online, no shipping. I wish stores like Best Buy would have that same policy because then it would negate bot buyers ability to drain inventory almost instantly.... plus there's always the added bonus of there's more than one store in the whole fucking state, and it's only 15 minutes away not 6 hours!

Tell that to my company lol. They have customer CC info on the public network in a word file. I brought it to their attention and done nothing about it. Granted only management level employees have access to the network.

Well if you ever want to throw them under the bus, here is how:

https://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/how-do-i-report-a-pci-violation/

Since the fines can be large enough to force a business to close, I advise you to start looking for a new job asap. Bbecause even if you keep silent your employer is one disgruntled employee (or one failed audit) away from a world of pain.

Well if you ever want to throw them under the bus, here is how:

https://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/how-do-i-report-a-pci-violation/

Since the fines can be large enough to force a business to close, I advise you to start looking for a new job asap. Bbecause even if you keep silent your employer is one disgruntled employee (or one failed audit) away from a world of pain.
Oh I know. Especially since some of them are military contracts. They are very reactionary and only do something when the shit hits the fan.

Real question for all you guys that are going for the AMD variation (If they are indeed easier to acquire), assuming you guys have G-Sync monitors, what's next steps? Get a different monitor?

Also, that's still the case right? You can't enable freesync on a gsync monitor, correct? But you can go the other way (unofficially).
There is a way to update firmware on new g-sync monitors to make them work with freesync. But, if you have a slightly older g sync monitor like me, you're hosed. I went back and forth before I bought my monitor, finally deciding that AMD would never get back in the game with graphics. Wish I had gone freesync. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Use AMD graphics card with a G-Sync monitor

FWIW I received my notification email from EVGA this morning to order a 3080 FTW Ultra. I was able to place my order and EVGA site has it as preparing for shipment.

I put in notification request at 8:06am on 9/17.

There is a way to update firmware on new g-sync monitors to make them work with freesync. But, if you have a slightly older g sync monitor like me, you're hosed. I went back and forth before I bought my monitor, finally deciding that AMD would never get back in the game with graphics. Wish I had gone freesync. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Use AMD graphics card with a G-Sync monitor
Ouch, yah, that's crazy. Freesync is cheaper too. Likely why I'm stuck with NVIDIA for now as I just bought a 34" LG...

FWIW I received my notification email from EVGA this morning to order a 3080 FTW Ultra. I was able to place my order and EVGA site has it as preparing for shipment.

I put in notification request at 8:06am on 9/17.

Awesome. At least the line is moving....slowly.
By the time I'm next in the queue, they will have a 20GB to sell me.

you didn't hear the latest rumors?

NVIDIA allegedly cancels GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb
Perhaps the 3080 20GB would steal too much thunder from the 3090. Then, with no 20 GB version of the 3080, you can't make a 16 GB version of the 3070, that just wouldn't make sense would it. Since the 3070Ti was supposed to be 16GB, it's toast, too. Definitely minimizes the product stack and would put to bed all those rumors of them caching up memory for the release of the 20 GB cards.

Or, yields are trash. That's what I'm going with.

Also, if they want to make a 2080 Ti, they've made a little spot for it between the 3080 and 3090.

Perhaps the 3080 20GB would steal too much thunder from the 3090. Then, with no 20 GB version of the 3080, you can't make a 16 GB version of the 3070, that just wouldn't make sense would it. Since the 3070Ti was supposed to be 16GB, it's toast, too. Definitely minimizes the product stack and would put to bed all those rumors of them caching up memory for the release of the 20 GB cards.

Or, yields are trash. That's what I'm going with.
Or AMDs product isn’t shaping up to be as fearsome as they thought —- so they can keep the 20GB cards in their back pockets. Either way it nails shut the coffin on the YouTubers Moore’s law is dead theory. (If it’s true)

My guess is the 3080 10GB is in production as we speak, and they want to sell them. Both the 3080 20g and 3070 16g would make the 3080 10g a poor choice IMO. I thought we would have more cards out by now though, a month after launch. I'm still crossing my fingers for a 3060ti by xmas.

My guess is the 3080 10GB is in production as we speak, and they want to sell them. Both the 3080 20g and 3070 16g would make the 3080 10g a poor choice IMO. I thought we would have more cards out by now though, a month after launch. I'm still crossing my fingers for a 3060ti by xmas.
That's all a matter of pricing.

If availability was 100%, I wouldn't even pay $100 bucks more for 20GB personally - because I don't think games will use 20GB this generation — and by the time they do I wouldn't be using a 3080. So I don't think there is one legitimate feature I would miss out on by having a 10GB 3080.
MAYBE, MAYBE something like the Doom game Ultra to Nightmare settings. Which I think it totally devoid of any merit. Something like that I wouldn't regret whatsoever to save a hundred or two hundred/three hundred bucks on purchase price. If you recall Doom 2016 wouldn't kick into Nightmare settings unless you have 5GB of VRAM. I had a Fury X at the time with 4GB VRAM, and it didn't bother me in the least because I couldn't even tell the difference in the pictures - and when I got my 1080TI with 11GB of VRAM I confirmed I couldn't tell the difference in gameplay.
https://www.pcgamer.com/dooms-nightmare-graphics-image-quality-compared-and-benchmarked/

Without availability I find myself trying to catch $900 10GB cards - which is dumb. I'm still signed up for discord notifications. I click them sometimes the VERY second they are delivered when I'm using my phone. By the time the vendor store page loads on my iPhone they are 100% of the time sold out. At this point I don't even think the bots are getting them. I'm thinking they must be false alarms from the discord group. Or there is just one card per alert or something. I've given up on the intensity I originally had. Sometimes when it beeps I don't even look. It's a waste of time. Only if I'm on my phone actively using it and it beeps will I steal a glance.

Last edited:
That's all a matter of pricing.

If availability was 100% solid.

I wouldn't even pay $100 bucks more for 20GB personally - because I don't think games will use 20GB, and by the time they will I wouldn't be using a 3080.

Without availability I find myself trying to catch $900 10GB cards - which is dumb. I'm still signed up for discord notifications. I click them sometimes the VERY second they are delivered when I'm using my phone. By the time the vendor store page loads on my iPhone they are 100% of the time sold out. At this point I don't even thing the bots are getting them. I'm thinking they must be false alarms from the discord group. Or there is just one card or something. I've given up on the intensity I originally had. Sometimes when it beeps I don't even look. It's a waste of time. Only if I'm on my phone and it beeps will I steal a glance.
People are buying cards but you literally have seconds to react to these Discord posts. There's just not enough to satisfy the current demand. I'm guessing that every time something becomes available the quantity is maybe a dozen or less which gets snapped up almost instantly.

Awesome. At least the line is moving....slowly.
By the time I'm next in the queue, they will have a 20GB to sell me.
I think the line has moved like "2-3 hours" since the system was implemented what...2-3 weeks ago? So basically 1 hour per week? At this rate if you signed up the next day you'll be able to get your card in November...2021.

Anyway, I sold my ASUS RTX 3090 TUF OC this morning to some dude locally at cost. I say locally lightly as the guy drove over 3 hours one way to buy it.

My 3080 XC3 is supposed to ship shortly according to EVGA. Now to decide what water block I put on it...so many to choose from...EKWB, Watercool Heatkiller, AlphaCool, HydroCopper, Optimus...hmm.

I think we should have cage fighting to decide who gets cards rather than blind luck.
I wish they'd do some kind of waiting list/registration. Like that's what we do at work when we order things. There are times when we order more of something than a vendor has, or something they don't keep much of and are out of stock. They don't just say "check back later, lol" they take the order and fulfill it when they can. I would totally go for that with a 3000 series. I don't need it now, I don't need it next week, but I'd like to order it and get on the list.

As it stands I'll just wait. It'll slowly get better as the feeding frenzy gets sated.

Back in stock. I wonder what brand of 3080 they included.

edit: found out the gpu they used is

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 DirectX 12 GV-N3080EAGLE OC​

Nice.

Bestbuy has a slightly better deal with a 10900k/16GB/1TB/3080 for $1899 that I got a while ago. It was a MSI Ventus and works well enough for me.

Nice.

Bestbuy has a slightly better deal with a 10900k/16GB/1TB/3080 for $1899 that I got a while ago. It was a MSI Ventus and works well enough for me.
That’s not slightly better, that’s a lot better. 10900K and $200 cheaper. That’s several hundred dollars worth of a difference.

That’s not slightly better, that’s a lot better. 10900K and $200 cheaper. That’s several hundred dollars worth of a difference.
yeah, but if they cheaped out on the mobo and PSU then ehhhh. Nothing bothers me more than seeing PC builders putting a cheapo bottom of the barrel mATX motherboard in a full ATX case with an unlocked CPU and no mobo overclocking features. All show and no go. Can't speak to the deals being discussed though. Think you can still configure a desktop through cyberpowerpc's website, where you can choose individual parts at least. They did a nice job on the system I got from them.

yeah, but if they cheaped out on the mobo and PSU then ehhhh. Nothing bothers me more than seeing PC builders putting a cheapo bottom of the barrel mATX motherboard in a full ATX case with an unlocked CPU and no mobo overclocking features. All show and no go. Can't speak to the deals being discussed though. Think you can still configure a desktop through cyberpowerpc's website, where you can choose individual parts at least. They did a nice job on the system I got from them.
The one posted here on newegg has cheapo mobo and RAM, but decent PSU I think. But i'm sure people buying these not because of the whole pc, but because it's the only way to get the new GPU without paying double. Still overpriced nonetheless, but at least they have a backup PC now :D

are there are any sites, Twitter accounts etc that tell you when Newegg/Best Buy is going to get new stock in/how many cards they are set to receive etc?...I don't mean an alert after they are in stock but prior

with the news that 20GB cards will not be released in December I'm now on board with getting a 10GB card...preferably an Asus or MSI variant

are there are any sites, Twitter accounts etc that tell you when Newegg/Best Buy is going to get new stock in/how many cards they are set to receive etc?...I don't mean an alert after they are in stock but prior

with the news that 20GB cards will not be released in December I'm now on board with getting a 10GB card...preferably an Asus or MSI variant
Nope nothing official. There are some spreadsheets that used to be linked in Reddit but the validity of them was never determined.

I hope we get some news in november about what and when is incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back