Official NVIDIA Ampere In-Stock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real question for all you guys that are going for the AMD variation (If they are indeed easier to acquire), assuming you guys have G-Sync monitors, what's next steps? Get a different monitor?

Also, that's still the case right? You can't enable freesync on a gsync monitor, correct? But you can go the other way (unofficially).

People always want what they can't get. This launch is the perfect example. You've got people scouring chat rooms and setting up alerts etc. I think NV has outdone themselves this time.
I wanted this before I knew I couldnt get it.
Your theory is flawed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think production didn’t go as planned. Also, filling up huge warehouses costs tons of money and there really isn’t that much space....

nVidia usually sells 1 million + GPUs a month. We’re getting excited over 10k drops every other week.

Should be a fun quarterly report to read.
I think Nv will use the games sold vs shipped mathematics. They sold a ton of gpus, but shipped them is another thing.

Real question for all you guys that are going for the AMD variation (If they are indeed easier to acquire), assuming you guys have G-Sync monitors, what's next steps? Get a different monitor?

Also, that's still the case right? You can't enable freesync on a gsync monitor, correct? But you can go the other way (unofficially).
You can go the other way plenty officially. Nvidia has certified a bunch of Freesync panels for G-sync use. That's what I'm doing right this now.

Calmn down lol, better getting a 2080 S/Ti during a sale and keep using that for the next year than do that. BTW you an EE from Purdue? :)
BSEE 1996. I work as an IP lawyer these days though. I'm happy enough with my 2080Ti, and I'm not sure I'd see a lot of benefit at the resolution I run anyway (3840X1600 @ 75Hz).

BSEE 1996. I work as an IP lawyer these days though. I'm happy enough with my 2080Ti, and I'm not sure I'd see a lot of benefit at the resolution I run anyway (3840X1600 @ 75Hz).
We are much alike :). BSEE 2006, work as a data engineering/science manager now :) Also on a 38 UW, had a 2080 Ti now renting a 2070S till this FUD dies down.

Just got an EVGA notification for a 3080 XC3 Ultra. Have 8 hours to buy it. Part of me wants to do it and return/sell off my 3090. Then if the 20GB 3080 rumors by end of the year is true then I’ll step up to one of those.

Just got an EVGA notification for a 3080 XC3 Ultra. Have 8 hours to buy it. Part of me wants to do it and return/sell off my 3090. Then if the 20GB 3080 rumors by end of the year is true then I’ll step up to one of those.
Dibbs

What time did you sign up?

This situation has become nuts. I did not think it would be this hard to score a card. Like most of you I've been trying hard to get one since day 1.

Y’all need to chill lol. I didn’t even say I was selling anything for sure and have 3 messages in my inbox as well already.

If you want to sell the 3080 I will pay you 150 over your total cost. Sure you could clear a little more on ebay after all the fees etc though.

It sounds like people who ordered from Dell had their orders pushed back to mid-November, and now they are being pushed back to January 2021. :eek:

Doesn't bode well for the "flood of cards in November" rumor.

It sounds like people who ordered from Dell had their orders pushed back to mid-November, and now they are being pushed back to January 2021. :eek:

Yep my new date is Jan 12 :) suppose that is earlier than the Jan 16 return window on my 2070s so keeping it as a long term backup esp since it was done on a 0% apr card, I literally have nothing to lose. If they ship before that date magically, great if not I'll already have something or be back on a 2080 ti by then. Insanity.

If you want to sell the 3080 I will pay you 150 over your total cost. Sure you could clear a little more on ebay after all the fees etc though.
I'm only going to sell my 3090 if I decide to go with the 3080 XC3 10GB then step up to 3080 20GB route (probably save ~$500). I won't buy the 3080 XC3 just to sell, going to let it go to whoever is next in queue.

Question is if I want to gamble on the 20GB 3080s becoming available before the step up expires 90 days from today.

I actually just got an Aorus email despite them never confirming me. They want you to send in your CC info in a PDF and then they will confirm after the fact. I am wondering if they actually have the cards in-stock and ready to ship? $900+tax is a lot of money to commit without knowing.

I actually just got an Aorus email despite them never confirming me. They want you to send in your CC info in a PDF and then they will confirm after the fact. I am wondering if they actually have the cards in-stock and ready to ship? $900+tax is a lot of money to commit without knowing.
I'll be completely honest...$900 is a lot for a 3080 10GB.

I'll be completely honest...$900 is a lot for a 3080 10GB.
Agreed, but there is also value in being done with all of this madness. I didn't have plans to go to a 20 GB card anyway, but the cost of this is pretty high. I wish there were more reviews of this particular card...I guess the Master is pretty similar but this is in theory better.

Dell doesn't really know what they're doing in my (limited) experience. I'd like to think the dates we're seeing from them are just the result of some clueless employee. But who knows.

We are now close to the Navi launch. I can't muster up the energy to buy a 3080 now. We'll know which company has their act together in November.
At this point, buyers remorse on the 3080 10GB is inevitable.

I've been waiting in the EVGA queue for my 3080 for awhile now. I'm thinking my 2080 Ti is doing fine for me and I'm just going to wait to get a 20GB card or a 3090 myself.

Yep my new date is Jan 12 :) suppose that is earlier than the Jan 16 return window on my 2070s so keeping it as a long term backup esp since it was done on a 0% apr card, I literally have nothing to lose. If they ship before that date magically, great if not I'll already have something or be back on a 2080 ti by then. Insanity.
You’ll give up by March. Happened to me in 2017. Ordered on Black Friday. Hadn’t been delivered by spring/April. IIRC Dell told me that I had cancelled the order in my official cancellation email after months of me clicking yes I still want it to all of their periodic e-mails order inquiry notifications.

Dell sucks for standalone GPU orders. period.

You’ll give up by March. Happened to me in 2017. Ordered on Black Friday. Hadn’t been delivered by spring/April. IIRC Dell told me that I had cancelled the order in my official cancellation email after months of me clicking yes I still want it to all of their periodic e-mails order inquiry notifications.

Dell sucks for standalone GPU orders. period.
No worries, reached out to our enterprise rep to see if they can help but I doubt it. Nothing is charged till they ship and it's on an interest free card so no risk for me. My 2070S rental is here so going to take a break from this for a while.

Went through and purchased the 3080 XC3. Going to use it until the 3080 20GB variants come out, hopefully within the step-up period. There also seem to be plenty of watercooling options for it so its weak-ish cooler is a non-issue for me.

Congrats. I didnt get my step-up in until 9/27. At this rate I may be able to cancel and get in line for the 3080 20gb version lol.

I've been waiting in the EVGA queue for my 3080 for awhile now. I'm thinking my 2080 Ti is doing fine for me and I'm just going to wait to get a 20GB card or a 3090 myself.
Good plan. I have money for the winner of performance per dollar and availability after the AMD announcement.
I have a feeling that an AMD card will be in my system before another Nvidia card, solely because they didn't make a good enough effort to sell me a 3080.

Not sure if this helps any but if you have anyone in your family that is in the military/veteran, they can go on shopmyexchange.com and use the Office Depot Specialty Store and order the RTX 3080 or 3090 thru the AAFES business account. It will be backordered but I was told my ship date would be Oct 30th for the Strix 3080 OC. Obviously time will tell if I actually get the card.... But since its a business account, I figure chances are better of securing a card...

Screenshot 2020-10-21 002313.jpg

Last edited:
Heads up - Microcenter Overland Park Store. I was told that they are expecting cards in within the next few days. Make sure you are in front of the Kansas City Microcenter at 7am or before and waiting in line. At least 3 hours early. They open at 10, Be there wed, thur and friday morning. Chances are very good you will get a card. 9 hour investment. Chances are greater it will be a 3080 I think, and the brand could be anything.

Something about all of this just doesn't add up. Per MLID Nv wants to flood the market after Navi is launched, ok, but wouldn't it be better to flood the market in the 40 days you have no competition and take millions of upgraders off the market for this cycle. In this scenario even if Navi was marginally faster, most folks would stick with the $700 card they got a month ago.

Yes, which is why that theory is incredibly stupid.

Yes, which is why that theory is incredibly stupid.
Shh. If people can't get what they want right now, the only reasonable explanation is a sinister plot and/or dastardly scheme.

Now, got your microphone? Halfway decent camera? Now that we both know the script, let's go sell some righteous indignation on YouTube and rake in that sweet ad money.

Last edited:
That's also why they are in the situation they are in. If they were willing to wait, this could be avoided. Instead of launching the product as soon as it is ready and production is finished, they could sit on it for 3-6 months and build up huge warehouses of the product. Then when hey launched, there would be tons to go around. However they didn't do that, they launched as soon as they could. The reason is they wanted sales NOW, they wanted to beat AMD to market. Not because they are evil and didn't want to sell cards, but because they DO want to sell cards and want to sell them ASAP.

Also something else to notice about the pandemic is that isn't hasn't just had an effect on supply but demand too. Part of the reason people are so grabby with these cards is COVID. If you still have a job, you probably have more disposable income than you did pre pandemic as there is less to do. Combine that with the feeling of needing to do SOMETHING and people are extra excited to spend their money on this.

Compared to some of the other insane conspiracy theories (not naming any to avoid going off topic) people today are believing in this is really mild.

WTF. Assuming that's legit and not a phish trying to steal your card, my immediate reaction is to add Gigabyte to my eternal blacklist because emailing a CC number is sufficiently awful infosec that I can't trust anything else they do either.

WTF. Assuming that's legit and not a phish trying to steal your card, my immediate reaction is to add Gigabyte to my eternal blacklist because emailing a CC number is sufficiently awful infosec that I can't trust anything else they do either.
Haha. True. Don’t do it MavericK

Maybe call Gigabyte and see if it’s legit or they’ll take your card over the phone? Or like DanNeely suggests their internal controls are completely lacking and so you call your CC and get a one time use CC number?

I would never put CC info into a non-secure form.... definitely not worth the headache of a scam. I highly doubt gigabyte or any other tech company would request that.
Tell that to my company lol. They have customer CC info on the public network in a word file. I brought it to their attention and done nothing about it. Granted only management level employees have access to the network.

Haha. True. Don’t do it MavericK

Maybe call Gigabyte and see if it’s legit or they’ll take your card over the phone? Or like DanNeely suggests their internal controls are completely lacking and so you call your CC and get a one time use CC number?
It is legit - it's from the same address as the original emails and it's confirmed by others. Does just seem meh though. But I guess the reasoning is that these orders are being handled by hand, and apparently this is the first shipment of Xtreme cards into the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back